what's that bug?

ladelfina

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Recently found an excellent site for all those times when you wonder..

"what's that bug?"

http://whatsthatbug.com/index.html

You can even send them photos of your mystery bug and they will help you identify it!

I found our mystery bugs: the hummingbird moth and the crane fly (we had thousands of those dopey things!)

After I destroy bugs in my house there usually isn't much left except crushed pieces of exoskeleton, a couple of random extremities, and a puddle of green or black goo. Wonder if they can identify bugs from that? :D

Bleach! I hate crane flies. I am not anti-bug and not usually squeemish (sp?) about them, more curious. But crane flies make me crazy - they have a nasty habit of dropping their legs all over. :p

Way cool.

We have hummingbird moths.  The damn caterpillars eat my flowers. I go through the beds with a scissors and snip them in half.

WhiteLinedSphinxMothCaterpillar.jpg

and yet here where the growing season is pretty much year round, i plant certain vines to attract caterpillars (well, actually to attract the butterflies).

twice last year in the carport i caught a moth the size of a little bird. i don't know what it was but it was really cool. had no idea they got that big. each time i let him go so he'd make more super-sized moths.

Martha said:
We have hummingbird moths. The damn caterpillars eat my flowers. I go through the beds with a scissors and snip them in half.

You know that just makes two of them, right?

We have crane flies out the wazoo around here. They lay eggs in the grass. One of those bug killer jobs that screws onto the end of a garden hose and self mixes with water, little spritz on the lawn, gone.

"Look man! I only need to know one thing: where they are."

Attachments

• vasquez.jpg
    vasquez.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 84
justin said:
Wonder if they can identify bugs from that?   :D

Oftentimes, yes!
You should check out the "Carnage" section... (not for the squeamish). :p

Hi Ladelfina:

I loved this bug site! Cool pics.

There's an Asian Antiques & Collectibles store in downtown Seattle called Big People Toys, where I like to browse. They have framed boxes of assorted big and beautiful bugs that are nicely mounted, and I have always been tempted to buy one. I cannot believe the jewel-like, irridescent colors on some of these very exotic-looking insects!

Toejam

Back
Top Bottom