What's your recent concert?

Saw Burton Cummins of The Guess Who and solo fame Friday in Maryland. Great concert. I have the setlist if anyone is interested. He will be 71 next month and can still bring it.

Mainly, wanted to revive this thread.
At one time, in the late 60's-early 70's, a magazine named him the number one voice in rock and roll. Guess Who was my 2nd concert ever (1970).

Bob Seger was the first, with his last Herd back up band, free, at a Detroit area mall opening about 1969. Who knew??

The Allman bros. and Santana, about 10 years ago. DS gave me tickets for my birthday. Glad to see Allman's before Greg's passing. Wish I could have seen them before Duane passed (early 70's).

Why no concerts in last 10 years? No one has given me free tickets. I refuse to pay the big $$$ just to see bands I love but who should stop touring (can no longer hit the notes).

Bold by me.

This reminds me of a concert we went to a couple of years ago (DW won free tickets from a radio station).

Headliner was Rod Stewart, Santana was the opener. Santana was fantastic. Carlos can still play, but he doesn't have the singing range. So, he assembled band that CAN.

Rod Stewart was absolutely horrible. It was actually embarrassing to watch. Felt bad for the couple beside us. They skipped Santana, and only showed up for Stewart.

Bob Seger was one of my early concerts when they opened for KISS. This was maybe 1975. I know, to a devoted Seger fan, that could seem like blasphemy. Show was headliner-worthy.

Back to Burton Cummings: voice still really good though I noticed he was not quite as sharp as a few years ago when I saw him solo-first time to see him.

His voice was definitely unbelievable in1970!

Last edited:
5 Seconds of Summer with my 8th grade daughter and a friend of hers. Lots of screaming teenage girls. Was pretty funny, as well as entertaining.

Why no concerts in last 10 years? No one has given me free tickets. I refuse to pay the big $$$ just to see bands I love but who should stop touring (can no longer hit the notes).

It's not only that some can't hit the notes any more...sometimes there's not enough original members. Foreigner has only Mick Jones left, and due to his ailing health he sometimes misses shows. Go see Foreigner these days and you might be paying to see a good Foreigner cover band. AC DC no longer has Malcom Young, Brian Johnston, or Phil Rudd. They may as well be called Angus Young and Friends.

Eagles and James Taylor this summer at Nationals stadium in Washington DC. Deacon Frey (Glenn's son) and Vince Gill fill in nicely for Glenn.

DW and I have the annual pass to Disneyworld. EPCOT brings in band regularly during their food and wine festivals. This year we have seen Big Bad Voodoo Daddy (swing jazz); Billy Ocean (Caribbean Queue, Get out of my dreams), Smash Mouth.

She has gone with friends this year to see Styx, Guess Who, 38 special and others while I was working. :(

Last edited:
We heard Jimmie Dale Gilmore and and former Blasters guitarist Dave Alvin perform this fall, along with Shawn Colvin. Jon Langford of the Mekons/Waco Brothers opened the Gilmore/Alvin show.

The old '60s bands on stage these days reminds me of the time the Lovin' Spoonful came to town -- just the drummer and bass player, though. At least they were originals with the band and not some fill-ins.

Speaking of the Lovin' Spoonful, we did catch John Sebastian last spring. His voice is totally shot, but he had some great stories about the music scene in the mid-'60s, Woodstock, etc. The show was about 50% storytelling.

Sugarland. I was pleasantly surprised at their message. Lots of helping community, others and inclusion expressed during the show which was a breathe of fresh air from the Jason Aldean's and Eric Churchs I've been to.

Huge country fan, we usually do a few concerts a year sometimes even travel with the concert being the draw.

It's not only that some can't hit the notes any more...sometimes there's not enough original members. Foreigner has only Mick Jones left, and due to his ailing health he sometimes misses shows. Go see Foreigner these days and you might be paying to see a good Foreigner cover band. AC DC no longer has Malcom Young, Brian Johnston, or Phil Rudd. They may as well be called Angus Young and Friends.
Definitely. I do research the bands before shelling out the cash. You mentioned Foreigner. I saw them for the first time a couple of years ago with Styx. So it was two bands missing the lead singers that made them famous. In fact, Mick Jones barely even played. And while there is only one Lou Gramm, Kelly Hanson was remarkably good as a stand-in. I enjoyed the show immensely.

Styx had less of a challenge replacing Dennis DeYoung since they have always had 3 leads. But Lawrence Gowan was an impressive vocalist and showman, and the show did not suffer in my view, unless you were expectng to hear their only #1 hit, "Babe" which they apparently view as too much of a sellout to bother playing.

The old '60s bands on stage these days reminds me of the time the Lovin' Spoonful came to town -- just the drummer and bass player, though. At least they were originals with the band and not some fill-ins.

Speaking of the Lovin' Spoonful, we did catch John Sebastian last spring. His voice is totally shot, but he had some great stories about the music scene in the mid-'60s, Woodstock, etc. The show was about 50% storytelling.

60s and 70s bands are rarely intact these days. Burton Cummings was the only member of the Guess Who I saw last Friday. His old bandmate Randy Bachman tours separately, with his own band, but Fred Turner retired last year and with that we lost the distinctive gravelly voice of many of the Bachman-Turner Overdrive hits. Bachman remains on my bucket list.

I saw Three Dog Night for the first time a few years ago and I thought them very good even though Chuck Negron (who tours separately) has not been with them in years. With the subsequent passing of Corey Wells, (and keyboardist Jimmy Greenspoon) only Danny Hutton remains, talented as he is. They are definitely not the same band but still entertaining.

Amazingly, Fleetwood Mac toured in the past couple of years with the same lineup they had for the Rumours album 40 years earlier, after Christine McVie rejoined the band following a long hiatus. But that has now ended as they have apparently parted ways with Lindsay Buckingham just this fall, a huge loss.

There is a reason to have a music bucket list and it is band longevity.

Definitely. I do research the bands before shelling out the cash. You mentioned Foreigner. I saw them for the first time a couple of years ago with Styx. So it was two bands missing the lead singers that made them famous. In fact, Mick Jones barely even played. And while there is only one Lou Gramm, Kelly Hanson was remarkably good as a stand-in. I enjoyed the show immensely.

Styx had less of a challenge replacing Dennis DeYoung since they have always had 3 leads. But Lawrence Gowan was an impressive vocalist and showman, and the show did not suffer in my view, unless you were expectng to hear their only #1 hit, "Babe" which they apparently view as too much of a sellout to bother playing.

I saw Styx as well 2 or 3 years ago and agree that Gowan was a fine replacement, far better than expected. I enjoyed the show even knowing that key member DeYoung is no longer part of the band. I have several of Styx's CD's and "Babe" is low on my list of favourite songs so I wasn't disappointed it wasn't played.

Kelly Hanson is also a good stand-in, almost identical in tone to Lou Gramm and probably many people are not even aware that he's not the original singer.

I like these charts on Wiki that show the band members over the years:

Styx timeline.png

Eagles and James Taylor this summer at Nationals stadium in Washington DC. Deacon Frey (Glenn's son) and Vince Gill fill in nicely for Glenn.

Couldn't agree more. I've seen the Eagles twice in the past year. Looks like they're touring Europe in 2019, which I won't make. Hopefully they've got enough gas in the tank to tour the US again in 2020. They're my all time favorite.

60s and 70s bands are rarely intact these days. Burton Cummings was the only member of the Guess Who I saw last Friday. His old bandmate Randy Bachman tours separately, with his own band, but Fred Turner retired last year and with that we lost the distinctive gravelly voice of many of the Bachman-Turner Overdrive hits. Bachman remains on my bucket list.

I saw Three Dog Night for the first time a few years ago and I thought them very good even though Chuck Negron (who tours separately) has not been with them in years. With the subsequent passing of Corey Wells, (and keyboardist Jimmy Greenspoon) only Danny Hutton remains, talented as he is. They are definitely not the same band but still entertaining.

Amazingly, Fleetwood Mac toured in the past couple of years with the same lineup they had for the Rumours album 40 years earlier, after Christine McVie rejoined the band following a long hiatus. But that has now ended as they have apparently parted ways with Lindsay Buckingham just this fall, a huge loss.

There is a reason to have a music bucket list and it is band longevity.

I know I'm in the minority, but I prefer the Bob Welch-influenced Fleetwood Mac sound to the later hit-machine sound with Stevie Nicks et al. Welch turned the band around 180 degrees from the blues-rock format it had with Peter Green. I still enjoy the album "Mystery to Me" above all their later stuff.

I also disagree about band longevity. Most of the time I've seen the modern versions of vintage bands I've enjoyed in my youth, I come away a little sad. I saw a YouTube video awhile back of Iggy Pop on stage at Montreux in March 2018. It was painful to watch.

I also prefer to see individual musicians rather than whole bands because they don't feel a need to crank up the decibels so much. They also tend to take have a more leisurely approach to their shows. I don't need someone trying to cheerlead me into state of frenetic high energy anymore.

Nice! America has always had a good sound.
I

Love them from back in the day. Saw them live last year, outdoor summer concert. They took awhile to warm up vocally. The first half was just OK, but they really delivered after intermission!

I was amazed when they said that they do something over 200 concert each year. Wow, esp. for the older band memb

I also disagree about band longevity. Most of the time I've seen the modern versions of vintage bands I've enjoyed in my youth, I come away a little sad. I saw a YouTube video awhile back of Iggy Pop on stage at Montreux in March 2018. It was painful to watch.
I’ve seen a fair number of bands and artists from back in the day play in the last few years, and totally agree, some are downright painful. They’ve lost their voice and / or the energy isn’t there. It would seem fans care little about this, as many tours are packed full of boomers. Seeing them dancing to 40 year old songs can be just as painful. :)

I know I'm in the minority, but I prefer the Bob Welch-influenced Fleetwood Mac sound to the later hit-machine sound with Stevie Nicks et al. Welch turned the band around 180 degrees from the blues-rock format it had with Peter Green. I still enjoy the album "Mystery to Me" above all their later stuff.

I also prefer to see individual musicians rather than whole bands because they don't feel a need to crank up the decibels so much. They also tend to take have a more leisurely approach to their shows. I don't need someone trying to cheerlead me into state of frenetic high energy anymore.
Appreciate the comments on Fleetwood Mac.

I think I may have confused you on band longevity. It is the LACK of it that made me create a music bucket list.

Also, as I said, it is not about gratuitously seeing acts which can no longer bring it. Those have trouble drawing audiences too, at least in my experience.

I saw Styx as well 2 or 3 years ago and agree that Gowan was a fine replacement, far better than expected. I enjoyed the show even knowing that key member DeYoung is no longer part of the band. I have several of Styx's CD's and "Babe" is low on my list of favourite songs so I wasn't disappointed it wasn't played.

Kelly Hanson is also a good stand-in, almost identical in tone to Lou Gramm and probably many people are not even aware that he's not the original singer.

I like these charts on Wiki that show the band members over the years:

View attachment 29939

Dennis DeYoung is touring again. He was in Los Angeles back in 2014. It was a great show. I saw Styx also with Gowan at the Los Angeles County fair a while back also. They were good but in my opinion, DeYoung has a better band and puts on a much better show. His voice is still great and he is a good keyboard player.

I saw Springsteen on Broadway a couple of weeks ago and saw John Sebastian the next night in NYC.

Both shows were similar, one-man show with a guitar and a lot of story-telling.

Appreciate the comments on Fleetwood Mac.

I think I may have confused you on band longevity. It is the LACK of it that made me create a music bucket list.

Also, as I said, it is not about gratuitously seeing acts which can no longer bring it. Those have trouble drawing audiences too, at least in my experience.

Sorry I missed your point. But I'll stick with mine -- watching bands from the '60s and '70s perform today does not appeal to me. I have no interest in seeing the Stones perform. Roger Waters? Nah -- saw him in '73 with the rest of Pink Floyd. Don't need to go there again.

Bob Seger was the first, with his last Herd back up band, free, at a Detroit area mall opening about 1969. Who knew??

Bob Seger should have been my most recent concert. Back in October, 2017. But he had back surgery and postponed his tour. He’s back now, and we’ll see him in February. Saw him back in the 70’s and I wanted to see him again before the both of us got too old.

Sorry I missed your point. But I'll stick with mine -- watching bands from the '60s and '70s perform today does not appeal to me. I have no interest in seeing the Stones perform. Roger Waters? Nah -- saw him in '73 with the rest of Pink Floyd. Don't need to go there again.
I saw the Stones on their farewell tour in 1982, so I feel you.

We went to the Baked Potato in L.A. recently to see our friend and his band Pet Shark play their new album (CD release show). Great show, tiny venue. Proud of our friend and his music. Not really interested in stadium concerts.

Back
Top Bottom