What's your recent concert?

Fleetwood Mac Oct.12th. Booked when I read Lindsay Buckingham would be replaced by Mike Campbell. (Tom Petty's life long partner/guitarist)
Lindsays vocals were perfectly covered by Neil Finn. (Crowded House)
Stevie and Christine present. Mick did a drum solo and plays like he's 30.
Being a guitarist it was a rush to see them pull it off. It was excellent. They will tour until Jan. FYI

Fleetwood Mac Oct.12th. Booked when I read Lindsay Buckingham would be replaced by Mike Campbell. (Tom Petty's life long partner/guitarist)
Lindsays vocals were perfectly covered by Neil Finn. (Crowded House)
Stevie and Christine present. Mick did a drum solo and plays like he's 30.
Being a guitarist it was a rush to see them pull it off. It was excellent. They will tour until Jan. FYI

That's a great replacement!

Shame they broke the band but ooh that music.

Saw Burton Cummins of The Guess Who and solo fame Friday in Maryland. Great concert. I have the setlist if anyone is interested. He will be 71 next month and can still bring it.

Mainly, wanted to revive this thread.

Thanks for bumping this thread :)

Concert going has been a renewed interest for my wife and me during ER, and especially recently. We like the planning and it's something to look forward to.

Our most recent show was Jason Bonham an Evening with Led Zeppelin. If you are a Led Zeppelin fan, I would highly recommend this show. The guitar player was amazing. They did a great setlist, and played a long show.

A couple weeks before we saw Fleetwood Mac. Great show. Stevie Nicks has a little trouble hitting some notes, but it was a lot of fun.

Earlier this year, we saw Roger Waters, Rod Stewart with Cyndi Lauper, and Magpie Salute (some old Black Crows guys), and Bruce Springsteen on Broadway.

We currently have tickets for Robert Cray this Saturday, Magpie Salute again, Chris Isaak, and Buddie Guy with Little Feat.

My experience with seeing older bands is that they are generally very good still. Most have survived drugs and alcohol, and they stay in shape and eat healthy to be able to still tour. Some exceptions of course.

I "almost" saw Elton John last night. Concert was supposed to start at 8; at 8:15 they announced that he would not be showing because he had an ear infection.

I think I'm jinxed on him. Back around 74 he was supposed to play tennis in Philly with Billie Jean King, Bill Cosby( who was from Philly) and a local DJ. It was because he was involved with the Philadelphia Freedom tennis team (and of course the song). They advertised that he would be wearing "a million dollars" in jewels or his outfit was a million dollars or something along that line.

Well it started at least two hours late and for some reason his fancy outfit didn't show up.

Two days ahead, but my most recent concert will be Friday Night. A local group (4 and 20) that does a yearly CSN&Y Tribute. Several of the band members have played backup with stars, and a few traveled as part the "Byrds Tribute". It is always a fun night. 2,000-4,000 at a local arena.

I sometimes comment that these guys are almost as good as the real CSN&Y today.

FWIW, I saw the original in Boston Garden in 1974.

John Prine twice in the last year

Talk about someone whose voice is getting painful to listen to! But I guess the experience was good enough for you to go back.

Hey, I love John Prine, and his voice was never 'pretty' (saw him a few times back in the 70s/80s in Chicago, and have several albums), you went for the songs and delivery. But after his cancer and surgery, that voice is just tough for me to listen to, even as a big fan.

On the other end of the spectrum, I saw Bonnie Koloc a few years ago - one of his contemporaries in the Chicago scene. She had a stunningly beautiful voice back in the day, and I saw her quite a few times in the 70's, and have 3 albums. So I was a little hesitant to get tickets, but found a few recent youtube videos and she sounded good. She was fantastic. As good as 40 years ago as far as I could tell.

Not sure if this thread is limited to "big names", but I recently saw Judy Roberts, a jazz piano player/singer. She was also absolutely fantastic, last time I saw her was the 80's.

I just don't do big concerts, I like the more 'intimate' clubs. Saw Ian Anderson at Ravinia 2(?) years ago. He was good, it was an experience, but also reminded me of why I like the small places.

-ERD50

I "almost" saw Elton John last night. Concert was supposed to start at 8; at 8:15 they announced that he would not be showing because he had an ear infection.

I think I'm jinxed on him. Back around 74 he was supposed to play tennis in Philly with Billie Jean King, Bill Cosby( who was from Philly) and a local DJ. It was because he was involved with the Philadelphia Freedom tennis team (and of course the song). They advertised that he would be wearing "a million dollars" in jewels or his outfit was a million dollars or something along that line.

Well it started at least two hours late and for some reason his fancy outfit didn't show up.
Oh my too bad! My wife's best friend flew from Indiana for the same show :(

This is the list of shows my DW and I have seen since early 2014... all small venues (except for Stones)...love the music
CONCERTS

Doobie Brothers
Don Felder
Jimmy Buffet
Elvis Costello
Steely Dan
Drive By Truckers
Alabama Shakes
Yes
Toto
Jerry Jeff Walker
Joe Bonamasa
Rolling Stones
Paul Simon
Gordon Lightfoot
Lyle Lovett
Kris Kristofferson, BB King tribute, Bonnie Raitt (ACL Hall of Fame)
Heart
The Guess Who
Blood Sweat & Tears
Kenny Wayne Shepard/Stephen Stills
Brian Wilson Pet Sounds Tour
The Marshall Tucker Band
REO Speedwagon
Styx
Donald Fagen & The Nightflyers
Roger Mcguinn
Moody Blues
David Crosby
Little Big Town
Kacey Musgraves
Earth Wind and Fire
Steve Miller
Peter Frampton
Robert Plant
John Fogerty
Lucinda Williams
Boz Skaggs

Most recent was Steven Wilson. Also saw Car Seat Headrest and Santana a while back.

I have never seen Elton. I was hoping to on his farewell tour. But ticket prices seemed a bit rich.

He is going on a 3 year "final" tour so he can spend more time with family.

At 71.

Let that sink in.

This is the list of shows my DW and I have seen since early 2014... all small venues (except for Stones)...love the music
CONCERTS

Doobie Brothers
Don Felder
Jimmy Buffet
Elvis Costello
Steely Dan
Drive By Truckers
Alabama Shakes
Yes
Toto
Jerry Jeff Walker
Joe Bonamasa
Rolling Stones
Paul Simon
Gordon Lightfoot
Lyle Lovett
Heart
The Guess Who
Blood Sweat & Tears
The Marshall Tucker Band
REO Speedwagon
Styx
Roger Mcguinn
Moody Blues
David Crosby
Little Big Town
Kacey Musgraves
Earth Wind and Fire
Steve Miller
Peter Frampton
Robert Plant
John Fogerty
Lucinda Williams
Boz Skaggs
Love your list. It's quite diverse. Of that list the artist I have seen the most is.. Jerry Jeff Walker. 4 times. Although I think about half i have not seen.

Are you boycotting Cheap Trick and Pat Benatar?

CONCERTS

Doobie Brothers
Don Felder
Jimmy Buffet
Elvis Costello
Steely Dan
Drive By Truckers
Alabama Shakes
Yes
Toto
Jerry Jeff Walker
Joe Bonamasa
Rolling Stones
Paul Simon
Gordon Lightfoot
Lyle Lovett
Heart
The Guess Who
Blood Sweat & Tears
The Marshall Tucker Band
REO Speedwagon
Styx
Roger Mcguinn
Moody Blues
David Crosby
Little Big Town
Kacey Musgraves
Earth Wind and Fire
Steve Miller
Peter Frampton
Robert Plant
John Fogerty
Lucinda Williams
Boz Skaggs

Holy crap, what a list!

CONCERTS

Doobie Brothers
Don Felder
Jimmy Buffet
Elvis Costello
Steely Dan
Drive By Truckers
Alabama Shakes
Yes
Toto
Jerry Jeff Walker
Joe Bonamasa
Rolling Stones
Paul Simon
Gordon Lightfoot
Lyle Lovett
Heart
The Guess Who
Blood Sweat & Tears
The Marshall Tucker Band
REO Speedwagon
Styx
Roger Mcguinn
Moody Blues
David Crosby
Little Big Town
Kacey Musgraves
Earth Wind and Fire
Steve Miller
Peter Frampton
Robert Plant
John Fogerty
Lucinda Williams
Boz Skaggs

Wow! Awesome list! You must live in a pretty huge area or love to travel :)

Love your list. It's quite diverse. Of that list the artist I have seen the most is.. Jerry Jeff Walker. 4 times. Although I think about half i have not seen.

Are you boycotting Cheap Trick and Pat Benatar?

No...they haven’t come close (central Texas). Here’s a pic of my DW with JJW in 2015... he was walking to his gig at Gruene Hall and I got him to stop and talk and take the pic. Love his music, but my hero songwriter is Guy Clark...never got to see him live.,. 1460132_10151758719566891_797241806_n.jpg

No...they haven’t come close (central Texas). Here’s a pic of my DW with JJW in 2015... he was walking to his gig at Gruene Hall and I got him to stop and talk and take the pic. Love his music, but my hero songwriter is Guy Clark...never got to see him live.,.
Did you attach the pic? Never been to Gruene Hall...but need to.

I know, we are losing these folks that I would have loved to have seen:

John Stewart ( Kingston Trio and the orbit of Fleetwood Mac)
Gerry Rafferty
Delores O'Riordan (Cranberries)
Travelling Wilburys (George Harrison, Roy Orbison, fortunately I did see Petty twice)
Others

Talk about someone whose voice is getting painful to listen to! But I guess the experience was good enough for you to go back.

Hey, I love John Prine, and his voice was never 'pretty' (saw him a few times back in the 70s/80s in Chicago, and have several albums), you went for the songs and delivery. But after his cancer and surgery, that voice is just tough for me to listen to, even as a big fan.

On the other end of the spectrum, I saw Bonnie Koloc a few years ago - one of his contemporaries in the Chicago scene. She had a stunningly beautiful voice back in the day, and I saw her quite a few times in the 70's, and have 3 albums. So I was a little hesitant to get tickets, but found a few recent youtube videos and she sounded good. She was fantastic. As good as 40 years ago as far as I could tell.

Not sure if this thread is limited to "big names", but I recently saw Judy Roberts, a jazz piano player/singer. She was also absolutely fantastic, last time I saw her was the 80's.

I just don't do big concerts, I like the more 'intimate' clubs. Saw Ian Anderson at Ravinia 2(?) years ago. He was good, it was an experience, but also reminded me of why I like the small places.

-ERD50

Prine and Steve Goodman used to make it up to Summerfest in Milwaukee nearly every year in the '70s. They were so brilliant in their day. Goodman was especially charming. You had to love him.

You mentioned Bonnie Koloc -- do you recall Jim Post (of "Friend and Lover" fame)? He been doing a Mark Twain show out in Galena during the tourist season.

Prine and Steve Goodman used to make it up to Summerfest in Milwaukee nearly every year in the '70s. They were so brilliant in their day. Goodman was especially charming. You had to love him.

You mentioned Bonnie Koloc -- do you recall Jim Post (of "Friend and Lover" fame)? He been doing a Mark Twain show out in Galena during the tourist season.

Yes, I was fortunate enough to see Steve Goodman about a dozen times in the small clubs around Chicago. He put his heart into every show, I didn't know he was ill until years later, and he died far too young. An amazing talent as songwriter, guitar player, singer and overall performer. There's an Austin City Limits recording that captures him pretty well, and some of his Anthology album, but he was looser and more fun live. He'd have you near tears with some of his poignant songs, and then have you laughing at some corny novelty tune (that he'd pull off with some hot guitar licks).

I've seen Jim Post through several incarnations, I think I was in 8th Grade when "Friend & Lover" had their one-hit-wonder, "Reach out in the Darkness". Later, I'd see him in the Chicago clubs. He was a fantastic performer as a folk singer-storyteller, good guitar player too. He did a number of one-man shows, and I have seen the Mark Twain, that was a long time ago for me. I happened to be in Galena 2 years ago and he had the show going, but DW didn't want to break away from the rest of the family to see it.

-ERD50

In 2018, we saw Taylor Swift & Pink. We’ve seen Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, Elton John, Rolling Stones and many other older bands more than once and decided we’d rather go to see newer talent. Both were fantastic, but Taylor Swift’s concert was at the Rose Bowl. Crazy crowds and insane traffic. I guess we are too old for that. Saw Pink at Honda Center in OC - much more manageable crowd and amazing show.

We like going to live jazz concerts at local wineries. Saw The Rippingtons this year at one.

Going to Brian Setzer’s Christmas concert in a few weeks.

Two artists we never saw and I regret not seeing live are Michael Jackson and Prince. Both gone too soon but incredibly talented.

Not a recent one, but the mention of jazz reminded me of a show I caught while I was still on the j*b. Mose Allison was playing in a nearby park, and I took an extra-long lunch break that day.

That show was about four years before he died. He might have lost a little keyboard dexterity at what, maybe 85, but he still had that casual, somewhat snarky vocal delivery that was his trademark. It was great to see an octogenarian with attitude.

Every December it is one of our holiday traditions go see Trans Siberian Orchestra in Orlando. We're going 12-15-18 this year...and looking forward to every moment of it's kitchy-ness.

We always get great seats so the excessively long hair flinging can be easily enjoyed. All the open flames...the lasers...the bass speakers as loud as they go....the seriously sincere holiday drama...….so much fun. Can't wait.

Last edited:
Saw the Brian Setzer orchestra Friday night at the Anthem in Washington DC. What a great venue. Brian Setzer is a great guitar player and front man. Was most enjoyable. Really puts you in the Christmas mood.

I recently saw Canadian blues guitarist and singer song writer Matt Anderson in concert in Ann Arbor. The guy was awesome and full of soul and energy. His voice reminds me of Joe Cocker. https://youtu.be/nxU4tsoqpGY

Back
Top Bottom