What's your recent concert?

Don Felder, Styx and REO Speedwagon last week. Don Felder was great.

Philly is great in the summer. Lots of free concerts . Last night I saw the jazz group Fourplay at Penn's landing for free. 4th of July, Mary J Blige (R&B) singer did the concert in the parkway.

I saw a thread on best/worst concerts, but thought I'd try one on recent concerts, maybe to alert people to who's touring now or what may be new and worthwhile (or bad and to be avoided).

Was in Vegas, staying at Caesars. Much to my surprise and delight, The Who was appearing. Super great concert. Daltry's voice has faded a little, but still pretty good. The drummer truly is Keith Moon reincarnated. 2 solid hours with no warmup band. Pete Townsend said, before they played Baba O Reilly (teenage wasteland), that there's a commercial using that song. Every time it's played he makes $650. And they play it a lot. So, he's touring, not because he needs to, but because he wants to. No FIRE for him.

That would be Zak Starkey, Ringo's kid. Definitely not Keith Moon reincarnated (since he's still alive), but an excellent drummer.

I've recently seen: Tedeschi/Trucks Band (kicked ass) a few weeks ago. Saw Trombone Shorty (also excellent) last Thursday. Going to see Mary Chapin Carpenter tomorrow, and Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals in a couple of weeks. Also was at Delfest back at Memorial Day weekend. Great lineup with incredible shows by Railroad Earth, Gov't Mule, Trey Anastasio, and the Steep Canyon Rangers (a surprisingly incredible set). It's been a good year for music.

That would be Zak Starkey, Ringo's kid. Definitely not Keith Moon reincarnated (since he's still alive), but an excellent drummer.

Not sure what you mean, Moon died about 40 years ago.

I looked up the band info and learned that not only is the drummer Ringos son, but Keith Moon bought him his first drum kit and was his godfather.

Tears for Fears and Hall and Oates a few weeks ago.

The Fixx later this month. This will be my second Fixx concert, i saw them at The Stone Pony in 1988

We saw The Fixx last year at a club in San Jose called The Ritz. I imagine during their hey day they were playing much bigger venues. But we still like them as much as we did years ago and it was a treat for us to get to see them in a small club where we were a few yards from the stage. They put on a good show and still sounded the same! We were surprised and happy to see they had a younger following - many who knew the words and could sing along with the songs.

Last edited:
Green Day 2 months ago, Foo Fighters coming up soon.

This is the best youtube video...ever! 1000 Italians inviting the Foo Fighters to come to a small Italian village. Took a year to put together! Listen to the explanation at the end.

Last edited:
Went to Tennessee for a few days and went to the Grand Ole Opry...was a really good show.

What I didn't enjoy was staying at the Gaylord Opryland Resort. I have *never* seen so many damn people in one place and they attempted to send us to another hotel when we checked in since they were "oversold". When I pointed out how many nights I had stayed at Marriott properties over the last 10 years, they magically changed their tune and upgraded our room. There was also a convention there for Avon Reps, so that was a nightmare in its own regard. So...long story short...I am VERY glad to be home. :)

Not sure what you mean, Moon died about 40 years ago.

I looked up the band info and learned that not only is the drummer Ringos son, but Keith Moon bought him his first drum kit and was his godfather.

I meant if Zak was Keith reincarnated he'd be dead by now. He was a wild man. I saw The Who in '76, Keith's last US Tour. Then I saw them again on my birthday in'79 with Kenny Jones. He was a good drummer, but there was definitely a different feel to the band. Keith was unique.

Gillian Welch and David Rawlings at Atlanta's symphony hall last Saturday; they were great. This tour resumes on the west coast in October (the shows in SF and Portland are already sold out). Later this month and next they'll be touring under their alternate identity, the David Rawlings Machine.

Green Day 2 months ago, Foo Fighters coming up soon.

:greetings10: Cool and cool. Have always been a Green Day fan and loved Dave Grohl since the very start of Nirvana.

If you have never seen it, have a look at this video of Dave at a Dutch radio station. He was just brought in to do a little acoustic set and gave it 110%.

Went to see Santana yesterday. Most enjoyable

Saw Burton Cummins of The Guess Who and solo fame Friday in Maryland. Great concert. I have the setlist if anyone is interested. He will be 71 next month and can still bring it.

Mainly, wanted to revive this thread.

Last edited:
My girlfriend and I went to see John Mellencamp a couple weeks ago. I managed to get 2nd row floor and while I'm a fan she's a huge fan so it was a highlight for her.

John Prine. Kansas City the other night.

heh heh heh - I like those young whipper snappers who haven't ER'd yet. :D ;)

DW and I went to the Austin performance of the 50th Anniversary Tour of the Byrds’ Sweetheart of the Rodeo album. This was a country album by the Byrds released in 1968 and it is considered as having kicked off the county-rock movement in the US.

Original band members Roger McGuinn and Chris Hillman headlined the concert along with Marty Stuart and his band. It was a fantastic concert which brought back a lot of memories.

There are a few more concerts remaining in the tour, mostly in Florida. If you ever enjoyed this album, I highly recommend trying to get a ticket.

Alan Parsons Live Project in Austin, TX a month or so ago...
Before that ACL Music Fest in Austin In Oct. - McCartney was a headliner, but also many other fabulous bands were there as well like Chvrches, Hozier, Brandi Carlisle, to name a few.

Last edited:
Phil Collins, last month. He was recovering from some type of surgery, tenderly walked on stage with a cane, and sat on a stool for the concert. It was still a great performance.

The Allman bros. and Santana, about 10 years ago. DS gave me tickets for my birthday. Glad to see Allman's before Greg's passing. Wish I could have seen them before Duane passed (early 70's).

Why no concerts in last 10 years? No one has given me free tickets. I refuse to pay the big $$$ just to see bands I love but who should stop touring (can no longer hit the notes).

Alan Parsons Live Project in Austin, TX a month or so ago...
Before that ACL Music Fest in Austin In Oct. - McCartney was a headliner, but also many other fabulous bands were there as well like Chvrches, Hozier, Brandi Carlisle, to name a few.
How was Alan Parsons?? Really liked their Edgar Allen Poe album....

Back
Top Bottom