What's your ringtone?

steelyman

Moderator Emeritus
I was sitting around in June at a gas station having lemonade. These two guys came walking by and one started doing the Super Mario Bros tune. I'd just bought an iPhone and got that for my ringtone before the lemonade was done.

My old phone (Nokia) had the Austin Powers theme. Which I still miss. Groovy, baby!

I just have a basic free one included in Android. I would never pay for a ringtone...

:)

It was my present to myself on that day (besides the lemonade). $1.99 I think. Those little guys are still kicking blocks!

My standard ringtone is the old fashioned telephone ring. I hear a lot of people using that when I'm out, so I guess it's popular, at least among those of us old enough to really remember it.

DW's calls are announced by Hail To The Chief.
My brewery contacts by the Beer Barrel Polka.
My closest friends get the Ode To Joy theme from Beethoven's Ninth.

Friends from other countries get a snippet of their national anthem.

Ringtones are great!

What's your ringtone?

Brushed 14K gold, size 9.
DW's is platinum, size 7 1/2.

Old POTS sound. One rigy dingy,, two...

Cuckoo for family, standard Nokia for everyone else, only consider what came with phone

Ride of the Valkyries. For my son it's Enter Sandman. No special meaning, just a song we both like and I can quickly tell him apart from others. I think both were free, but spending a buck or two for a ringtone isn't going to delay anyone's ER.

My ringtone goes "Ring". What's more amazing is I answer and hear a voice. No looking at the display for text. Very unique today :LOL:

My ringtone goes "Ring". What's more amazing is I answer and hear a voice. No looking at the display for text. Very unique today :LOL:

That IS amazing. I think people who have been using computers for a long time are heading back to good old talk. It's the newer ones that text and email you to death.

Different one for everyone on my favorite list.

Lunatic Fringe for boss
Willin' (Little Feat) for DH
Bonanza theme for buddy
Mission Impossible for Dad
Peanuts teacher voice for Mom
:)

My phone is always on silent mode. I will call you back if I ever notice that you left a message, but mostly I won't call you back anyways.

Mine is just the one that sounds like an old fashioned phone.

I have found that if I use a musical ringtone, I tend to just sit there listening to it and thinking, "oh, how pretty!" without remembering that it is my ringtone and that I need to respond to it. Then I miss the call.

On the other hand, everybody and his brother has the old fashioned phone ringtone so sometimes it does get a little confusing.

I don't text and neither does anybody else i know, except my daughter (and she knows I don't text). I never get or receive texts; in fact, I think I have texting turned off. It's a generational thing I guess.

Last edited:
Made my own ring tone using an android app. Cropped the first four verses of the SRV tune "Life without you":

Oo oo now baby....
Tell me how have you been
We all have missed you....
And the way you grin
:dance:

I don't know that it's generational, W2R. I know someone quite a bit older than me who recently got a phone and texts like a banshee. She is just thrilled with it and I say (to myself), "stop, already!".

I don't know what it's called but it was the default setting on the phone when I got it 5 or 6 years ago. I only use my cell when I travel since I don't live close enough to a cell tower to get a reliable signal at home.

Last edited:
I don't know that it's generational, W2R. I know someone quite a bit older than me who recently got a phone and texts like a banshee. She is just thrilled with it and I say (to myself), "stop, already!".

You're probably right.

I just never have anything very urgent to communicate that can't be done with a friendly phone call. If it isn't important enough for a phone call, then it can wait or else I can send an e-mail.

If somebody sent me a text, I don't know what I would do with it. I don't even know how to respond. That would be so stressful. But, nobody sends me texts so that is not an issue.

Last edited:
You're probably right.

I just never have anything very urgent to communicate that can't be done with a friendly phone call. If it isn't important enough for a phone call, then it can wait or else I can send an e-mail.

If somebody sent me a text, I don't know what I would do with it. I don't even know how to respond. That would be so stressful. But, nobody sends me texts so that is not an issue.

Well, if you call me, Mario and Luigi will announce it and kick out a wall or two ;)

For calls not in my contact list - silence (I made a ringtone that is 10 seconds of no sound at all
For friends/family - London Calling
For my wife - We are the Knights who Say Ni - wanted something very distinctive :D

I'm a salsa dancer. My ringtone is "Es Solo Musica" by Mamborama. Long ago I downloaded a free audio editing software program and edited the portion of the song I wanted for my ringtone and then converted it to the ringtone format. It's much easier to to that today in Garageband.

I always text. I hardly ever speak on the phone. I was never one to talk much on the phone so texting is just about the same thing to me.

Wow, if I could get my dad to text, it would be wonderful. He can't hear very well, so phone calls are shouting matches.

nuke, I had one for a while, for my cousin, that was the "Message for your Sir" one. Hilarious.

I also have different tones for texts from different people, which is nice for when I'm texting multiple people at the same time. I can feel W2R rolling her eyes all the way over here, lol. :)

For calls not in my contact list - silence (I made a ringtone that is 10 seconds of no sound at all
For friends/family - London Calling
For my wife - We are the Knights who Say Ni - wanted something very distinctive :D
That's a great idea! But I don't see an easy way to do this with Android, at least not without going to each contact and setting a custom ring tone. Ideally there would be a setting to say that all contacts get one ringtone, and non-contacts get a different one, but I'm not seeing how I could do that.
I know I could go into each contact and set a custom one, but that's a lot of work, and I'd have to remember to do that for new contacts as I add them to avoid the silent default ring. Am I missing a way to do this?

Back
Top Bottom