Where should we get our new dog?

Plantman

Recycles dryer sheets
It's been almost two years since our last one passed away. We have gotten our international travel bucket finished. If there is any further travel it will be confined to the states. So, we are thinking about getting another dog! Our family and friends say we should get a rescue dog. We are leaning towards a young small breed from a rescue outfit. The thing we don't understand is that these same people enjoy working at these types of outfits, but when it comes to getting their own dogs they go to a breeder. Same thing with everyone at our veterinarian's office. So, do they all know something about rescues that we don't? What are your thoughts or experiences on this? Rescue or breeder?

We are in the very same situation. Since we are both 72 now, there is a dilemma as to what is best for the dog longer term. Our last dog lived 18.5 years.

I've done both. My current dog is from a rescue and he has been a great pet. I'll probably get one more dog and I will go the rescue route again. I prefer a dog at least a year old.

We have rescued many dogs and our friends have too. They are forever grateful.

Our last dog came from the animal shelter. I just wanted a mid-size dog that I could walk with. I don't care for smaller dogs that much and a large dog is too big for our small house. I think it depends on whether or not you want a particular breed. The nice thing about dog breeds is they have distinct personalities and characteristics that work with your lifestyle. Sometimes I miss having a dog and will check out the adoptable animals, but if I ever get another dog, I will go to a breeder so I can get the same breed I had before. She was awesome.

One other nice thing about adopting from a shelter is that they tend to be older. I liked not having a puppy personally. We got our dog when she was 5. She was given up because the owners had to move, but she was well-trained and housebroken when we adopted her. She lived until she was 16. I would do it again, except now we are planning on doing some traveling in the next few years and it is expensive enough boarding our cat.

Last edited:
We got Sam, the dog, in 2008 from the pound. He's half-terrier and half-chihuahua. He was abused and neglected, and he still carries a little baggage around because of that, but it's easily manageable. He doesn't do well with quick advancements towards him. So, we crate him until everyone knows this if we have visitors. Little kids are a challenge, so we leave him crated around them. It really hasn't been much of an issue though. He has been great. Very quiet. Not yappy as a lot of chihuahuas are. He only barks when he needs too or he thinks there is danger. He has been wonderful. I'd go the rescue dog route again based on him, but you have to be very selective and visit them a few times before you commit. See them in several different situations.

Absolutely a rescue. Breeding should be illegal IMO, when there are so many unwanted pets in the world. Pure-breeds can often also have genetic issues due to breeding practices.

I know, I know, some people "really" want a certain breed, but for every one of those another dog is euthanized due to shelter limits. Same with cats.

I vote rescue dog also. They soak up all the love you give and hand it back ten fold.

Reactions: jj
There are many breed specific rescues. We only want Maltese and there is no shortage of rescue Maltese.

We found our papillon on PetFinder.com, and we would do that again. These are all animals that need homes, and most are with some rescue organization in a temporary foster home. They are typically well vetted and cared for until permanent homes are found. You can search by zip code, size, and even breed if you like. We had a wonderful experience finding our Tristan.

I like to adopt from breed-specific rescue groups. They understand the breeds they rescue and IMO are more interested in finding good fits for their adoptions. They're more likely to place dogs with a known history, which can be helpful as you get your new pet adjusted to its new home. Also, they don't "flip" dogs; usually they're kept in a foster home for several months before being put up for adoption.
In my area a bunch of rescue organizations have cropped up that seem primarily involved in shipping up strays from kill shelters in the South. While I hate to see a dog euthanized, I worry that many of these dogs have received rather sketchy medical evaluations as these high-volume rescuers seek out the cheapest vet care they can find.
A friend adopted a healthy-looking black-mouth cur pup only to discover six months later that it had heartworm. The dog is fine now, but it required lengthy and expensive treatment.
I also met a woman at my dog club that had adopted a male cur that hadn't been neutered! That's SOP as part of the rescue process for most rescue groups.
Finally, there are some great senior dogs out there. Many of us are at the point in life where we may leave a pet behind when we die -- but we can still give a senior dog some nice retirement years. Many are up for adoption because a prior owner passed on.

Beyond the great feeling you would get from rescuing a dog, the main reason I wold think about a rescue dog is the possibility that it is already potty trained. I would love a puppy, but the thought of training (i.e. cleaning up dog doo doo in my house) turns me off, and face it, they’re only a puppy for a very short time.

If you want a specific breed, I think most, if not all breeds have rescue operations for that specific breed.

Whatever you do, get a real dog....a Border Collie, a Kelpie or a German/Belgian Shepherd. ;)

We're in the same position. We've had 5 dogs (last 4 in pairs), all purebreds direct from breeders (we met the dog parents). Our next pair (we always do pairs now), at least one will be a rescue, probably both. We've learned that what we treasure about having a dog in our lives isn't their looks, it's their behavior/presence (I hesitate to call it personality) - almost any dog can provide that.

Last edited:
My daughter found her first dog on the side of the road starving after it'd escaped from a pit bull breeder. Harley was all chewed up as a bait dog. He was wonderful, and we had to manually walk him for his 10 years as AmStaffs are not welcome in neighborhoods.

Then we found a male Rottweiler on a log chain in the sun without a dog house or water. We stole him. Hank also lasted 10 years, and was a great guard dog. After Harley died, he became our house dog. Someone dognapped him.

My daughter then got Xena, a female Rottweiler, to replace Hank. I looked down one morning and two rottweilers were running around my legs as Hank found his way home. We still have her as a house dog.

Check out the local shelters and see if they have a dog that meets your needs. If you have a specific breed in mind, visit the real breeders (not a puppy mill) to see both parental dogs. I especially like the West Highland Terriers and Pappillons as house dogs. Another great dog is a hybrid like a Labradoodle.

If you have a specific breed in mind, in our area there are breed specific "rescue" organizations. Someone in the group will foster the dog until they find their furever home.

Also, in our area, there's a hospice service that finds homes for dogs whose owners are in hospice care. Sometimes the owner wants to meet the new owner, sometimes it's not possible. I can't imagine anything more rewarding than letting that person pass peacefully, knowing their dog will be well cared for.

The last puppy we got will be the last puppy I ever manage. That getting up 3 times a night for potty training was exhausting. Next rescue will be at least one year old.

Good on you for giving some deserving pooch a loving home. I can't imagine not having one.

Well, I don't agree with everyone here about just arbitrarily getting a shelter dog. I tried getting a shelter dog 3 times and all 3 times ended up taking the dog back. First dog was a small dog for my parents. The dog had so many social issues that didn't manifest themselves until a week or more after they had it. Turned out the dog bonded with my mom and the first time we knew this, it attacked my dad when he climbed into bed. It really went nuts and did some damage. The second time was for me, a hunting dog breed called a German Shorthair. I've raised them in the past and they are very loving but have a deep instinct to point birds. This one was afraid of the shot gun noise. My guess is the last owner ruined this dog with punishment that included the shotgun and it didn't like it. I worked with the dog for a week, could get it to tolerate the gun and noise, but it was miserable the whole time, so back to the pound. The third animal seemed o.k., a rescue yellow lab. Until one day my brother's grandson bent down to pet it. The dog snarled and bit him on the face. The boy has permanent nerve damage to his lower lip now from that attack. Who knows what past experience brought a yellow lab to attack a child, I don't. Other labs I've had, my own kids would ride like a pony and he loved it. But I got them a pups and they grew up together.

Perhaps a very young pup you can bring in and socialize that hasn't been damaged or abused from a past life, but just be warned; they are in the pound for a reason and they come with baggage.
****EDIT****
I forgot to mention; one of the two current dogs we have is a rescue dog. It's a pug mix. It eats it's own poo. All the time. I've tried everything I can think of including professional assistance. Evidently the dog was starved or something in the past and eating it's own feces was something it did to survive? I don't know. We've had this one 12 years now and decided early on it was something we would deal with. DW and I always accompany the dog outside on a leash and pick up it's droppings immediately, but it learned to poop behind the couch or other hidden place so she could eat in peace. We've learned her tricks and it doesn't happen often, but it is a lot of work on our part to be sure she doesn't. At some point in her past, someone beat her with a stick. Anything stick-like in my hand, she panics and hides. She's also very afraid of loud noises. I drop something in the kitchen, say, and she's gone into hiding again. Usually under the bed where I can't get her out.

Last edited:
We actually had both, a rescue golden retriever who was also a breeder, before the rescue organization got her. She passed away a couple of years ago, and we are now considering getting another rescue golden from the same place.

We just "dog sat" a golden puppy for a week. Lots of energy, lots of chewing. That was enough to convince us we need a "mature" rescue as our next family addition!

Another thought. Many/most rescue organizations accept volunteers. Ours did. After a couple of nights volunteering, we "knew" our golden was right for us (and us for her!).

Whatever you do, get a real dog....a Border Collie, a Kelpie or a German/Belgian Shepherd. ;)

Nemo, I love the farm collie breeds (I've had half a dozen, mostly Australian shepherds) but a border collie isn't for everybody. They need (and demand) a lot of mental and physical stimulation. If you're looking for a lapwarmer, it's not the right breed.

I see hundreds off dogs up close every year. Among the small non-collie types I like, the border terrier stands out; not too barky and generally pretty good with other dogs. I also like rat terriers, but I've seen more than a couple reactive ones. Cavalier King Charles spaniel is about as sweet a dog as you can find, but they can have heart trouble. My sis has had three or four, loves them.

Midsize -- the vizsla is a spectacular dog. They're a little unusual but gaining popularity, and for good reason. They're very trainable, not too vocal and their appearance is stunning. They are an active breed, though.

Big dogs -- I've seen a lot of nice dobermans. Smart, sleek and not so inclined to jump on people in a social setting.

I think it depends on the rescue and the shelter. Shelters here temperament test as do the larger 501 (c) (3) rescue organizations. Rescues usually keep animals in foster homes. and that can be helpful. You do have to avoid some groups that think every animal should be rescued. Some of those folks might not disclose all the issues and blame you if there is a problem.

I would never buy from a breeder, having worked with shelter and rescue animals for close to 30 years. Really good companion animals are killed every day in this country. You can find what you want if you are patient and work with the right people.

Back
Top Bottom