Where should we get our new dog?

Nemo, I love the farm collie breeds (I've had half a dozen, mostly Australian shepherds) but a border collie isn't for everybody. They need (and demand) a lot of mental and physical stimulation..

Here's a shot of my best, and very much missed Border....(actually I tend to get along with pretty much all types of dog).......agree wholeheartedly about stimulation, (we'd tell people he could do our tax returns), I called the breeder shortly after we got him, (she was 90 years old at the time), about exercise...she said "A working Border Collie can do 100 miles a day...you don't have to worry about overdoing it".

2pyvlnn.jpg

You might also want to contact Pilots n Paws. They fly rescue dogs to new forever homes. I have flown everything from a Malinois rescued from Tijuana to 2 little yorkies.

Rescue! We fostered many pairs of puppies and are proud foster failures. Both of our darlings were pups we fostered. They are both good sized dogs, 60 and 80 pounds and of mixed heritages.
I have two sets of friends who rescue senior dogs. One woman has 5! Yeah the vet bills are a bit much but neither couple has human children to spoil.

Ahhhh! Go to Guide Dog schools and check out the retired GD or the ones that flunked! Our yellow lab flunked Guide Dog school after level 3. He just was not having the "work thing." Sound familiar, hahaha? He's the absolute best, lovable BFF. Cost, $1000 but health, pedigree all guaranteed.

They require an application filled with your love for dogs, how often you walk, have backyard with fence, on and on. He refuses to jump on the bed or couch which makes me sad sometimes.

Both in my avatar, but baby on the right passed...14 yrs. old.

Last edited:
Here's a shot of my best, and very much missed Border....(actually I tend to get along with pretty much all types of dog).......agree wholeheartedly about stimulation, (we'd tell people he could do our tax returns), I called the breeder shortly after we got him, (she was 90 years old at the time), about exercise...she said "A working Border Collie can do 100 miles a day...you don't have to worry about overdoing it".

2pyvlnn.jpg

Oh yeah, they'll take all you can give them and look for more. That's why I became active in my dog training club, to provide an outlet and to socialize my dogs. We're on an isolated piece of farmland and don't see a lot of passing traffic, so they need to go somewhere to see other people and dogs.

One thing about my collies -- they are wary of visitors they don't know, sometimes to a fault. Our little Aussie bitch was sweet with people when we were away from home, but on the home turf she bit two people -- slipped around behind them and nipped them on the back of the leg when she decided they'd worn out their welcome. They weren't serious bites producing actual wounds, but one of the targets called the sheriff ... big hassle.

I should add that all my dogs have been rescues that may have some some learned reactivity issues. My current trial dog, an English shepherd, will assume a threatening posture if someone approaches him with a stick in their hand. We had a minor incident where a trial judge wanted to measure his height with a yardstick. He laid his ears back and showed his teeth.

Here's a pic of Lucy, "the biter" (on the right).

Last edited:
I should add that all my dogs have been rescues that may have some some learned reactivity issues. My current trial dog, an English shepherd, will assume a threatening posture if someone approaches him with a stick in their hand.

Not that, due to age, etc, I'll ever have another dog, but for me the risk of that'd be a major drawback if contemplating a pre-owned canine......dealing with a dog that has been traumatized.

My Border above was acquired at eight weeks; socialization is of primary importance, and I'd take him for walks and introduce him to every dog/person we encountered; at maturity, 70 lbs and un-neutered, he'd automatically expect every dog to be his friend.

OP will the dog be around infants or young children? In that case I recommend a reputable breeder with a reputation for even tempered dogs...not a rescue.

Any NCIS fans here, apparently Abby left the show after Mark Harmon obtained a rescue dog that flat out terrorized people. Even after several incidents and a failed. retraining he refused to leave the dog home and brought it to set. This was widely reported in some media outlets.

My nephew and his wife had a shelter pup that was fine with them but unprovoked snapped at a child in the park, he was returned to the shelter.

I actually love the guide dog idea and would eliminate some puppy raising hassles/

It's been almost two years since our last one passed away. We have gotten our international travel bucket finished. If there is any further travel it will be confined to the states. So, we are thinking about getting another dog! Our family and friends say we should get a rescue dog. We are leaning towards a young small breed from a rescue outfit. The thing we don't understand is that these same people enjoy working at these types of outfits, but when it comes to getting their own dogs they go to a breeder. Same thing with everyone at our veterinarian's office. So, do they all know something about rescues that we don't? What are your thoughts or experiences on this? Rescue or breeder?
I don't have a pet, and despite the fact that I utterly adore toy poodles, I don't plan to get one because realistically, I don't want the responsibility at this stage in my life. YMMV of course! That said, I attached a Google images photo of a toy poodle puppy that I think is eminently huggable. :D

Anyway, back to the question at hand. If I was going to purchase a toy poodle, I would buy it from a reputable breeder of toy poodles. I assume that would cost considerably more than getting a dog from a shelter... but consider the amount people may spend on veterinarians and surgery for their pets, for example! Buying a dog is not a low cost move overall if you consider the expenses over its lifetime. So to me, this is not a time to pinch pennies.

Whatever you decide, good luck and I hope you find just the right doggie for your household. :)

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 129
You could consider adopting an senior dog. They need homes also but younger people tend to go for puppies.

The yellow lab we have now came from an animal shelter, almost 12 years ago now. Best dog we have ever had. Great personality, super healthy his whole life, great with kids, wouldn't hurt a flea. I have no idea why someone took him to the shelter when he was about 1 year old, but he certainly has been a great dog for us. You can check out the dogs available at animal shelters in your area by browsing PetFinder.com. That's how we found ours. Our local shelter did not have any dogs that looked right for us, but we found the lab at a shelter just a short drive away.

I think my avatar has a photo of our lab..........Toby

The thing we don't understand is that these same people enjoy working at these types of outfits, but when it comes to getting their own dogs they go to a breeder.

I'd be shocked if rescue workers went to actual breeders, as they should be all too aware of the oversupply of dogs in the world. They should be the *last* to do so. Perhaps they were just using breed-specific rescue services? That would make a lot more sense to me.

Our last dog, 25 years ago or so, was a left-over from a neighbor's litter. The neighbor was an old farm/ranch guy who loved Aussie cattle dogs. I got this big soft spot in my heart when I saw one puppy left in the cage and it was a cold Christmas Eve. And that's how we ended up owning a cattle dog (in the city) for 17 years.

Now that we're retired and overseas the wife gets her dog fix working at a local rescue place once a week. Some day we'll stop traveling and settle down and get one more dog. It'll definitely be a rescue.

+1 on considering a working dog that flunked out of their training program (guide dog, detection work, etc).

My last lab, Coal, was bred by Auburn University for detection work (explosives) but he did not quite perform to the standards of the federal agencies using the dogs. I adopted him at 5 yrs old, and he was my best friend for the next 10+ years. Although I have had several labs over the years, Coal was the only one that I did not acquire as a pup but he may have been my favorite. He had already been trained well (not to bark, knew all commands, very calm at all times). My vet always called him the perfect dog -- he really was a good fit for me.

When I am ready for another dog, I will definitely try to find another young adult lab from one of the service dog training programs.

So I was looking at some of the dogs on petfinder and most had a requirement for a fenced yard. I have an acre and it’s all bordered with vegetation. There’s no way I’m getting a fence. This is one of the things that upsets me about this rescue dog thing. I know they want the best for a dog, but given the choice between death and having to put up with or unfenced yard, I would think the dog would chose the latter. I just think they go a bit overboard. Home visits, applications, various requirements . . . And, financially, they’re not a whole lot cheaper. We kept our dog happy and healthy until she had to be put down after 15 years. Call my vet for a reference and let me take a dog off your hands. Geeze

So I was looking at some of the dogs on petfinder and most had a requirement for a fenced yard. I have an acre and it’s all bordered with vegetation. There’s no way I’m getting a fence. This is one of the things that upsets me about this rescue dog thing. I know they want the best for a dog, but given the choice between death and having to put up with or unfenced yard, I would think the dog would chose the latter. I just think they go a bit overboard. Home visits, applications, various requirements . . . And, financially, they’re not a whole lot cheaper. We kept our dog happy and healthy until she had to be put down after 15 years. Call my vet for a reference and let me take a dog off your hands. Geeze
You don't need a physical fence. You can get ones with a buried wire for the boundary or completely wireless! The wireless works great on fairly level areas.

Three years ago, DD found a scrawny, dirty, beat up young dog, on the side of very busy I-45 in Houston. The dog was probably thrown out of a vehicle and left to die (or get crushed by a car). She cleaned him up and called us. A year earlier, our 15 year old Golden mix had passed. We took the little guy in as scared as he was of people. He weighed 7 pounds at the time.

After he got healthy, we found out from our Vet that he is a Rough Coat Jack Russell Terrier. Probably a mix, but maybe 90% authentic. :LOL:

Well, three years later, I firmly believe he rescued us! He runs the house and has a very rigid schedule. :facepalm:

Thanks for all the replies so far, they make for some interesting reading. We don't have any children around so that isn't an issue. We have narrowed it down to a handful of breeds all of which are small so if we do decide to travel he/she will be able to come with us. That's another question, male or female? We have always had male pets in the past. Is there any difference between raising the two?

We adopted a dog from a rescue group listing some of their dogs on Petfinders, and had a wonderful experience. I'm not sure how rigid many of the rescue groups would be about having a fenced yard as long as you're honest about it from the beginning. I think they do try and narrow down possible owners, but may be able to be more flexible once the application process starts and they get to know you a bit. It also may depend on the dog.

We did have a home visit, but based upon our application, their call to the vet of our previous dog, and our phone interview, they brought the dog with them and he stayed with us. The entire process only took 3 days from the initial application. It really wasn't as daunting as the Petfinders ad made it sound. Again...all rescue groups have their own "cultures", so YMMV. Our 15 month old purebred papillon cost us $300, which we thought was more than reasonable.

Last edited:
You can check out the dogs available at animal shelters in your area by browsing PetFinder.com.

I was just looking at that site, and could get in deep doo-doo with DW by being captured by a pair of big brown eyes and bringing a dog home.:LOL:

But it does make me think seriously about volunteering at the shelter nearest to home - their photos are TERRIBLE! All taken with apparently a cell phone, looking down from standing height at the dog on the ground.

Rule #1 in portrait photography, either people or animals, is get on a level with the subject and focus on the eyes. Sheesh.:mad:

I realize they are just trying to do what is best for the dog but
I agree with you about the hoops they make you jump through does seem to be a bit much. Our yard is about 90 percent fenced, does it have to be 100? Also, the invisible fencing only keeps your dog in but doesn't keep other animals out of the yard.

Some people just fence a small part of their back yard for the dog. Surely that would be OK, as long as the dog can't get out? Hope so.

Some people just fence a small part of their back yard for the dog. Surely that would be OK, as long as the dog can't get out? Hope so.

See, the thing is that where I live, you take the dog out on a leash. The fence isn’t going to prevent the hawk or the coyote from snatching up your little dog and giving you nightmares the rest of your life. Not to mention how the dog would feel. See some of these incidents on Nextdoor often enough to take it seriously. Thankfully, they typically just can’t find their dog or cat, but they’re pretty sure what happened.

Whatever you do, get a real dog....a Border Collie, a Kelpie or a German/Belgian Shepherd. ;)
We lucked out. GS adopted a 'maltese' that he cannot keep in his apt bc he's becoming a mid size dog (35+ lbs now @ 9 months) and definitely has golden lab mix .... big BIG puppy still growing into those paws

See, the thing is that where I live, you take the dog out on a leash. The fence isn’t going to prevent the hawk or the coyote from snatching up your little dog and giving you nightmares the rest of your life. Not to mention how the dog would feel. See some of these incidents on Nextdoor often enough to take it seriously. Thankfully, they typically just can’t find their dog or cat, but they’re pretty sure what happened.

That's what I'd do too; I'd take it out on a leash. And you're right, that makes even a small fenced in area an unnecessary expense.

Good point.

You have to understand what is a predator to your pet where it lives and how to migrate risks.

We had a beloved Maltese, about 6 pounds. At that time we were out in BFE, with abundant small predators in the area. A red tailed hawk used to watch our little dog as he did his business. As much as DW and I loved seeing the hawk that close, we made ourselves a nuisance to it. We encouraged it to leave the area around our dog.

The hawk took up residence in trees above our chickens, a hundred yards away. One day DW called and told me how her favorite rooster went flying away! Better a chicken than our dog.

Today, we have a 4' split rail fence with 3"x4"x4' square wire fence around it. No other dog would come in, other animals can. Bobcats and coyotes are in the area; last year a mountain lion walked through the neighbor's yard and behind ours. Lions typically don't hang around people, but a sick desperate predator will do anything. Luckily this one looked very well fed and went back to the forest.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom