Where should we get our new dog?

Most greyhounds are placed through an adoption organization and the dogs are placed with a foster who makes sure that they are housebroken, know how to navigate stairs, understand windows and mirrors, etc. Additionally, the foster learns if they are cat safe, have separation anxiety or other personality quirks. That way an adopter knows what they are getting into with the adoption. Our greyhound, for example, turned out not to be rabbit safe. :D
Some of the older 'senior' Greyhounds available for adoption are great for us older folks. Docile and friendly.

Absolutely the only way we could have a big dog at this age is for it to be old. We got my son’s big dog at 9. He could still walk 4 miles/day which was our speed.

You get your dog from your kids! Where else would you get a dog?

I have to add to this flippant statement I made. The dogs I have, yes inherited from kids, are the center of mine and my wife's retired life. They are better than kids. They never ask for money and don't get into trouble that I have to get them out of with one exception. One of them snarled and snapped at a lawyer. I didn't scold the dog but had to threaten the lawyer back with my lawyer when he tried to make an issue of it.

They are treated like members of the family and well cared for as all dogs should be. If you can't love and care for these furry friends, then don't get one.

I have to talk a bit about them. They are Shiba Inu sisters from the same litter. Shy to people they don't know but extremely loyal to family members. I take them everywhere I can. When the wife goes shopping, the "girls", as they are known to everyone on this side of town, and I take walks near the store and often sit on benches outside the store. They are unique dogs and often the subject of conversations with passers by. People I have met who have Shiba family members swear by these dogs and I agree. They are my buddies. I dread the day they ... Love the best friend you will ever have and treat them well.

Really funny one , we got our dog several years ago from Barc . The vet said she was a Boxer mix and that all strays in Harris county have pitbull.
So our little baby looks like a boxer but only weighs 31 lbs Today we were at a dogpark in College Station and a Vet professor was there and he told me that my dog is a miniature Boxer . Never heard of that , he said they cross a Boxer with a Boston Terrier and charge a big price for a boutique dog that is a healthy mix .

I am getting a dog from GS1s Boyfriend going to law school in Boston. turns out he can't keep the dog anymore. His apartment is only rated for small dogs and this dog is not small. He was supposed to be a Maltese, I think hes a labradoodle more in the line of the golden Labrador than any other breed. he still a puppy at 35 pounds. So where do I get a dog? Obviously from one of the kids
He's arrived. But at 14.8 lbs .... now down to 13 lbs. Poor boy missing the guys. Had to travel as cargo
Wgt discrepancy is bc they said he's a medium size dog .... but he isn't

Last edited:
Dogs under 20 lbs can travel inside the cabin if they have a person with them.

Back
Top Bottom