Where To Turn To?

Vincenzo Corleone

Full time employment: Posting here.
I've hit a little bit of an emotional rough patch in life with really no one to talk to about it. Nothing dramatic; I'm not suicidal or anything like that. I realize this forum is hardly the appropriate place for this sort of thing so I'm just interested in hearing - from those who've found themselves in a similar situation at some point in their lives - who/what/where you turned to, to talk about...life...stuff...

Thanks.

I've hit a little bit of an emotional rough patch in life with really no one to talk to about it. Nothing dramatic; I'm not suicidal or anything like that. I realize this forum is hardly the appropriate place for this sort of thing so I'm just interested in hearing - from those who've found themselves in a similar situation at some point in their lives - who/what/where you turned to, to talk about...life...stuff...

Thanks.

This is exactly what counseling is for. To help you get unstuck.
Look at potential therapists under your health insurance plan.
Or get recommendations from friends/family.
If you don’t connect with the first one try another.

Thanks.

Having gone through a few emotional rough patches since I FIREd, here are my suggestions.

1) Talking to someone—anyone—really helps. It doesn't matter who it is, just find someone who'll listen. In fact, merely talking to yourself can be quite helpful. Just pull up your phone's "voice memo" or "voice recording" app, and talk away. Your phone is a very good, nonjudgmental listener.

2) This forum can be quite helpful, if you set your expectations properly. I have gained some great insights and food for thought here. I started a thread about "coping with excessive solitude" many years ago, and I got a lot of constructive, helpful feedback.

3) Make an appointment with your physician, or call his/her office and get a referral to a therapist or counselor. I have found my primary care physician to be a great resource for help with mental/emotional/social issues.

Thanks.

For low-level problems, I talk to good friends to get some perspective.

Any issues of a higher level I have used short-term therapy a few times in the past.

As others have posted, your primary care doc should be able to give you some names of counselors.

Been there a few times. Hiking, walking, biking in the wild outdoors is generally my therapy. Gives time for the thoughts to roll around in my head without the distractions of phone, TV, and usually other people.

My other refuge is my church. Amazing how a few quiet minutes sitting in a pew by yourself does to bring peace to the soul.

One thing good about a forum setting is you can maintain some sort of privacy. Sometimes better to talk to strangers than friends and family if they aren't so understanding.

I think who to turn to depends. If it's something you just need to get off your chest, that's one use for the social media thing. But if it's like something you are about to have a nervous breakdown, then may need to talk to something more.

VC there in no right answer for everyone.

Now none of us would suggest posting here in lieu of counseling or talking to a medical professional.

I would say that sometimes it's easier to start by talking to a like minded, friendly group online. If you are a person that has trouble expressing what concerns them because of worry that people (ie friends or family) will judge you or find you silly,getting some supportive inputs here might help you clarify things. Clarity might help you feel confident about taking the next step.

I think you will find more then a few threads where posters have expressed grateful thanks for the kindness they received from our members.

You get pretty much instant feedback here and contacting docs and getting referrals can take some time.

I want you to promise me that if you feel things escalating you will reach out to an ER or 911 or a person close to you in life. I care that you take care of yourself.

VC there in no right answer for everyone.

Now none of us would suggest posting here in lieu of counseling or talking to a medical professional.

I would say that sometimes it's easier to start by talking to a like minded, friendly group online. If you are a person that has trouble expressing what concerns them because of worry that people (ie friends or family) will judge you or find you silly,getting some supportive inputs here might help you clarify things. Clarity might help you feel confident about taking the next step.

I think you will find more then a few threads where posters have expressed grateful thanks for the kindness they received from our members.

You get pretty much instant feedback here and contacting docs and getting referrals can take some time.

I want you to promise me that if you feel things escalating you will reach out to an ER or 911 or a person close to you in life. I care that you take care of yourself.

Thanks for that. Family - none (except for DW). Friends - fair weather only. No worries about escalating - but, yeah, I promise.

Last edited:
I started a journal in 2003.

After a few years went by, I started reading it from the beginning.

Certainly talking to someone helps, but my journal shows how fortunate I've been to have had wonderful experiences and how strong I must be to survive the bad.

I have not used them myself but have heard good things about the tele-counseling services like BetterHelp and TalkSpace. Especially useful for people in more rural areas where there aren't a lot of professional counselors to choose from.

While a change of scenery (hiking, church pew, etc.) might help with general mood issues (I know it does for me), if it's something that's bothering you more specifically then I agree that talking with someone (friend, pastor, physician, counselor) is the way to go. Be well.

I would turn to a spiritual counselor. You could call a local church and ask for an appointment with priest or minister or rabbi. At my church, we have four individuals who offer spiritual counseling, either just one meeting or many.

I don't know if you are still working, but when I went through a rough patch while working one year, Human Resources had a list of trusted independent counselors/therapists. I saw one for several sessions, and it helped a lot.

While talking to a good therapist is probably the best I have gotten good help here on this Forum. Sometimes just writing out your problems and then hearing from others with similar problems here on the Forum can be a big help. There are a lot of friendly people here who have been through almost everything. I went through a rough patch last spring being the caregiver for my DH who had total knee replacement and then my back went out on me while helping him and I felt like I had no help and was getting depressed. I started a thread about it on this Forum and found many people who had been through something similar and I got some really good suggestions here. It helped me.

Talk to a mental health professional. They are also on your medical plan I'm sure. I started to get reminders from Kaiser since covid in case you have the "covid blues"

I'd start with your PCP, many low points have a physical cause. I used to get blue this time of year. There's a condition my PCP brought up SAD. Seasonal affective disorder and its real, who knew. I bought a sad light and blue no more. After ruling out physical stuff then seek out professional help. Sometimes you click with someone right away sometimes it takes a couple tries. As someone mentioned upstream telehealth supports talk therapy, keep in mind some practitioners are much more skilled in remote work.

No expert but I might call a Pastor in your area. You might have some long distant relationship with one church and you could start with that church. He/she would listen to your needs and will help you in every way possible. There wouldn't have to be any relationship to that church of any kind but to get to talk to someone that hear people like you each day. A good ear for comfort and someone you can trust. It would be free and well worth it.

Rough patches can lead to extra amounts of stress. While talking to someone who can help is good advice, I find getting extra exercise, walks in nature, sleep and eating healthy can also alleviate some of the stress that comes with some problems.

When I suffered my worst episodes of depression, my parish priest, my doctor and a therapist got me back on track. It included opening up to my wife.
Finding ways to help those in need also help a lot.
Life is good now.

Jesus Christ is the way, the truth, and the life. He has always been and always will be.

The Bible is His word of truth. I hope you ask Him to help you. Feel free to PM.

I would talk to a mental health expert.
If you choose, there could be some more targeted advice from here, if there is a known topic of the distress.

I have went to a therapist when things were difficult and I was depressed. I highly recommend professional help because a good therapist is objective in a way a friend can’t be. Take care of yourself.

I've seen a psychiatrist when I hit a huge emotional patch (discovery of infidelity with my ex),. I specifically went for someone who can prescribe me something right away as I couldn't sleep and I couldn't eat. Then I went to see a regular therapist for awhile although I'm not sure it helped much, because I was in denial but I at least had someone to talk to who could try to guide me through rough patches.

I went to another therapist decades later to figure out certain patterns I kept on seeing in my life but couldn't figure out as to why. I specifically looked for someone who could give me insight into the situation instead of someone who would say, "What do YOU think is happening?" She was so good at analyzing and explaining my situation to me that I could see things so much more clearly after just one session and quit seeing her after just two sessions...

I guess you could talk to your friends, people on forums etc, but they are not professionals. With stuff that's close to your heart that's confusing to you already, opposing thoughts from different people could confuse you even more. I would rather talk to some kind of professionals and rack my brain with them.

Good luck to you.

Last edited:
For slightly rough patches, venting to a trusted friend or family member works out for me (I choose the person carefully because some people can make things worse). For rougher patches, support groups or a therapist are probably the way to go. I relied on those to rebound after my divorce. I also found journaling to be a good outlet to sift through my thoughts. A journal is like a best friend who is always willing to listen and who will never betray your trust (if privacy is a concern you can always wipe out all traces of your writing).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom