Where we grew up.

Just looked at the house in Galesburg, IL that I grew up in from age 6 to married, then bought it from my parents. My parents paid rent enough to buy the house then bought it for $6,500 in 1966. I bought it for $8,750 in 1971 then sold it for $10,250 in 1975. I looked tonight and it sold in 2010 for $7,000 and is worth $8,600 on Zillow now. Guess I made a good choice. However the house was painted blue and it is flaking off in the Zillow pictures.

I spent the first few years of my life in a small rural house with only one kitchen (downstairs) and one bedroom (upstairs). We had to take the outside stairs to go from one room to the other. The bathroom was in an outhouse. It is me pictured in the foreground (around age 2, I think). The house has been added on several times over the years (when I was a kid, we used to spend our summers working on the house). It now has a kitchen, a living room, 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a gym, a laundry room, a dressing room, an art studio, and a jacuzzi.:D My dad still lives in it.

Then we moved into a condo in the city. It was 1,150 sqft with 3-bedrooms, a large living/dining area, a kitchen and a bathroom. It has been completely renovated twice since and my mom still lives in it (though it belongs to me now and one day I will probably live in it again).

Attachments

• IMG_0646.jpeg
    IMG_0646.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0038.jpeg
    IMG_0038.jpeg
    153.1 KB · Views: 13
Yep. My parents bought in Orange County, CA, in 1969, for $34,500, and that house is now about $1.1 million on Redfin. Two doors down from our former home recently closed for over $1.1m.

Amazing.
Knew someone renting a 2 bed 1 bath beach bungalow in Corona Del Mar CA. Home was bought by the owner new in 1974 for 54K. Today it's valued at 1.5 million. Walk unit AC in bedroom. On street parking.

I grew up in rural areas around Centralia, Illinois. I couldn't find most of my childhood homes on Zillow, for that matter the best I could do was satellite views in Google Maps. No street views out in those rural back roads either.
:)

Same for me with the first house I lived in, in Nebraska. It was such a small town, but I have great childhood memories from there.

The second house, after we moved to another small but larger town, in Nebraska, is pictured in Zillow but all I can see is the front door. They need trim their very healthy and leafy tree.[emoji16] That house was only 764 square feet, according to Zillow. That’s pretty small by today’s standards but it didn’t really feel small then, it was just normal for me. That 764 square feet area would be just perfect for me now, in retirement.

My parents bought the house in ~ 1952 for $14K located in Eastchester, NY, current Zillow estimate $629K. Looks like the neighbor needs a visit from the towns code compliance officer:D

Attachments

• streetview.jpeg
    streetview.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 12
Back
Top Bottom