Where will you be at age 80

at 80, hopefully DH and I will remain in relatively good health, we work at getting exercise daily. We plan to continue living in our home as it is a single level, but we have talked about CCRC possibilities at that age range. So far, kids and siblings all nearby, so lots of family time continuing hopefully. Plan to travel as long as we can, probably not as much when we hit 80+. I think we do need to work at socializing more, we both tend to be "homebodies".

My mom was still active and getting around all over town by bus and subway until about 85, even though she was half blind from macular degeneration. Her father was still active the same way even longer. So I have some good role models. We talk sometimes about moving to a CCRC but can't see doing it yet.

Our master bedroom is on the lower floor, so there is that.
My mom is 85 and still running her business and going to the gym 6x a week. Dad is 88 and is legally blind, but has home care and is in good health. We shall see.

Our house has a second floor but it's a second master. I'd love to still be here, some folks have problems with the altitude as they age.

A fellow I admire out here is pushing 80. I see him at the gym regularly. He always downplays what he does, but I see the guy doing unassisted pullups and dips! I hope I can do that at 80.

I notice some balance issues already. We hiked to a lake yesterday and relied upon our walking sticks a great deal. Other, younger, folks had none and didn't seem to mind.

Eighty is 16 years away. Hopefully I will still be able to play golf and feel well enough to have a dog to walk daily. There are a couple of men who play at my club that are 80+ and still play a decent game. Probably won't have my coastal condo.....but you never know. Bottom line, hopefully not too many changes but not assuming anything.
Sounds about right. If DW and I are still healthy enough to enjoy golf, dogs, sailing and cooking/going out for dinner, I'll be fine. I like variety, not sameness, so there's no way I can project 16 years out with any certainty - things may change completely. We will have moved south by then, maybe next year.

I'm still 25 years from turning 80 and I honestly don't expect to live that long. If I do I hope I am still in good health, still living in the home my wife and I built together, and still have my wife by my side. By 80 I suspect we will have done most of the traveling we want to do, at least the "big" trips. We'll probably stay closer to home, focus on hobbies and each other as long as we can. One of the main reasons we want to retire early is so we can still pursue activities while we're still healthy enough to enjoy them. If we can maintain that to 80 and beyond it would be awesome, but I suspect we'll slow down in our later years.

Observing the state of the world is sorely testing me

I hope that at 80, if I haven't already gone to live with the Lord, that faith-wise I am more ready to do so.

I appreciate the experience shared by OP. I have difficulty forecasting the future. If I could I suppose I would be richer. 10 years ago, after our close relatives had all passed on, we purchased a snowbird place. That has impacted our retired life in a major positive way. It has enabled us to make new friends. That I believe is the most important thing that has happened since we retired.

We have been retired for 16 years. The first 10 years were all good and looking great for the future. In recent times, we have started to encounter some of the medical difficulties with getting older. I suppose that it is better than the alternative! I feel very privileged to have enjoyed this life so far.

My hope for age 80 is that we are still in sufficiently good shape to continue as we are now. Dad lasted until 95 and MIL until 93 so we are hopeful that age 80 might still have 10 years for us.

I'm currently 67 years old and my DH is 65. We moved into a gorgeous home on a lake last month, and sold our other house (for full price) before it ever even went on the market.

We hope to spend 10-12 lovely years in this house, and then move into a local CCRC. We have no children, and feel that's the best option for us to age safely and comfortably. So at age 80 I'm hoping we will be making some new friends, be comfortable with little pain, and enjoying peace and quiet.

I’m just hoping that 80 will be the new 60 by the time I get there.
I agree. I am one of the 3 here born before 1940. I thank my parents for their genes to keep me above ground. My dad died at 92 and my mom at 102.

I just joined the United Flying Octogenarians-we have over 1500 pilots over the age of 80 as members! I just passed my flight physical and my Flight Review. In fact, today I am flying for Angel Flight West taking a teenager and her mom home after her appointment.
As far as travel, we have 2 cruises coming up in the nest 6 months, all leaving and returning to our home port-NO flying!

Because of DW's mobility problems,we have given up bus trips.
We have a new paid for car to take road trips, which we have been doing.
Life is good!

I'll be rockin in the chair off the porch pointed to the west. DW next to me in her white rockin chair.

Plan to watch the sunrise and set as many days as I can in my 80s. Beyond that I don't actually care lol. As long as my health is good. DW would like to still be traveling then. My guess is international travel will decline...but since its like 43 years away for me, maybe air travel will become more desirable..I doubt it.

I also want to stay active in my 80s. Even if its just a daily walk or a bi-weekly pool session.

I agree. I am one of the 3 here born before 1940. I thank my parents for their genes to keep me above ground. My dad died at 92 and my mom at 102.

I just joined the United Flying Octogenarians-we have over 1500 pilots over the age of 80 as members! I just passed my flight physical and my Flight Review. In fact, today I am flying for Angel Flight West taking a teenager and her mom home after her appointment.
As far as travel, we have 2 cruises coming up in the nest 6 months, all leaving and returning to our home port-NO flying!

Because of DW's mobility problems,we have given up bus trips.
We have a new paid for car to take road trips, which we have been doing.
Life is good!

Just realized you retired at 69. What kept you going so long? ;)

That's incredible you are still flying! Nice work!

I think there is a high probability I will be 6 feet under. If not, I will probably wish I was since I will likely be in too much pain to have a quality life.

About 4 years into retirement, we cashed out most of our portfolio. I bought some rural land and began building a big farmhouse.

We are now been on pension for 17 years, and all the improvements we wanted for our farm are all nearly complete.

We have neighbors who are in their 80s, we suspect that we will age 'in-place' as they have done.

I am 59 so 80 is still a long way in the future.

I had to keep w*king to keep medical coverage for my late wife, who was brain injured.

Aha. I recall you mentioned her illness and passing. So sorry for your loss. I would have done the same thing.

My hopes are still doing the things I have a passion for at 80, being in the Outdoors. I figure if I think that way then it will happen any I hope I'm in good health at that age.

I'm only 56...my father just turned 79 and is in good health. I eat healthy and exercise regularly and he does neither so I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll be fine.

One of my hobbies is music so there's a chance that arthritis or something else might affect my ability to play bass and guitar, but hopefully that's a long way off.

I'm 67 and DH just turned 65 (he's proudly waving his Medicare card at our friends who are mostly 20 yrs younger than we are, LOL,).

We are planning to start investigating senior facilities in 2019 for ourselves. We already did quite a bit of research when we moved my MIL to a nearby CCRC. Unfortunately, altho the facility was perfect for her, it is not what we want for ourselves. However, seeing eight different facilities really helped educate us on the various possibilities.

All the facilities are urban; we like where we live and it's convenient for family and friends. We are still in the active phase of retirement (not that we're as active as we should be, hehehe) and would like to take better advantage of that by either selling or renting our current SFH.

We're fortunate to have the funds to afford a facility, as well as LTC policies that will help preserve capital if one of us needs care. Our mortality risk is average, but our morbidity risk is quite high due to genetics and in my case, weight. Skilled/Memory Care is extremely expensive out here: approximately $10-15K/monthly, with increases of 2-4% annually every July 1st.

I'm 67 and DH just turned 65 (he's proudly waving his Medicare card at our friends who are mostly 20 yrs younger than we are, LOL,).

I did that too when I got my Medicare card, called it "my official curmudgeon card". And the phrase "Get off my lawn" was used a lot too.:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom