Which car ?

First, I have to say that I would not hesitate to buy a Toyota just because of the recent negative news. I still think they're a good company that makes really good cars. I suspect some of their problems now are just that they are "under the microscope", but this too shall pass.

My last car was a Toyota Celica that I drove for 19 years. I loved that car. My SO drove a Toyota Camry wagon for 16 years. When we finally had to replace our cars, we would have gladly purchased another Toyota, but neither of us could find something we liked at the time.

I ended up with a Subaru Outback and am very happy with it. It is a reasonably priced car, solid and stable on the road, and has been reliable. I feel really safe when I drive it. If you prefer something a little smaller, the Subaru Forrester would be good choice.

I like the Hyundai designs but are they reliable.
Well, the Germans seem to think so. :) I guess that they must have some reason for that 5-year warranty (nobody else in Europe comes close on that, except Kia, which is owned... by Hyundai).

If I'm back in here in 6 months complaining about my POS car with no warranty backup, you can call me names.

I've had a subaru now for 8 years. I have beat the snot out of it and it has been extremely reliable and extremely competent in all weather conditions. I would not hesitate to buy another one.

I'd also go look at Fords. They have a really impressive product line out there now and quality has risen to the top of the industry over the last several years.

i'm surprised that no one has questioned why you'd want to get a new car when your current one is only 11yrs, and only 100k miles

i'm surprised that no one has questioned why you'd want to get a new car when your current one is only 11yrs, and only 100k miles

I totally agree. If I had a car that was 11 years old, running good, had no problems and I liked it, I'd just keep driving it. At that age it's probably not worth much anyway, so why not just drive it until you start having problems.

If I'm back in here in 6 months complaining about my POS car with no warranty backup, you can call me names.
Went to last year's car show and thought I had fallen in love with a Genesis. But I found consistent complaints that while Hyundai's warranty was very good, the actual approval to conduct repairs under warranty was at best inconsistent, and at worst nonexistent.

Our '02 echo is more enjoyable to drive than the mustang convertible that we rented recently. The mustang had more muscle, but the echo feels peppier and more nimble.

And the best part:

EchoMPG.jpg

So far all good suggestions I am starting on the quest this weekend . I do love Toyota but I'm still leery . My Mom had a Malibu that she sold a few years ago to my cousin and it is still going strong . I like the Hyundai designs but are they reliable . I also like the Honda CRV . It's a top contender and the Honda place seems ripe to deal. I looked at some one year old cars but unless they are high priced models the savings are minimal.

First, the newer design is a lot different than the old one.... but my mother just traded in her 2003 Malibu for a Hyundai Elantra... she does not want a bigger car...

But her Malibu was exhibiting a version of the sudden acceleration of the Toyotas... I drove it and was shocked... I could slow it down easily, but if I let it, it would get up to 70 mph without me touching the gas... and the air conditioner was horrible... way to much cost to fix it all and my mother did not trust the car (she had a wreck the first time it went wild about 4 years ago... we thought it was the carpet then.... now not sure)...

I have been burned to many times with domestics.... they keep telling us they are better this time.... but then you have problems that you just don't have with the foreign brands...

Here's what I would drive:

Cars:
Accord
Camry
Fusion
Sonata
Mazda 6

Small SUV's
Toyota Matriz/Pontiac Vibe
CRV
Tucson/Sante Fe
Subaru Forester

Living in Florida, you probably don't need AWD that all Subarus have. Also, I think most take premium fuel??

Here's what I would drive:

Living in Florida, you probably don't need AWD that all Subarus have. Also, I think most take premium fuel??

Only the turbos require premium. Everything else is regular.

So far all good suggestions I am starting on the quest this weekend . I do love Toyota but I'm still leery . My Mom had a Malibu that she sold a few years ago to my cousin and it is still going strong . I like the Hyundai designs but are they reliable . I also like the Honda CRV . It's a top contender and the Honda place seems ripe to deal. I looked at some one year old cars but unless they are high priced models the savings are minimal.

Use that leeriness to negotiate.

I just came off lot with a 2010 pilot. Sticker was 39k and I had it down to 34k after negotiating.

Go to toyota, pick a car, and price it out. See how low they will go before you walk out.

The #1 rule with negotiating a car- if you are not uncomfortable, its a good deal for them LOL. My first offer on the pilot, the saleman replied "we only accept serious offers", but I still saved 5k+ on the sticker.

See if you can get Toyota to knock off 6k, or go to honda.

I think that what they say and what they do will be 2 different things. I also did the internet thing to no avail. The Toyoguard is on every invoice which amounts to nothing for your $. Make ready, dealer fees, inflated MV fees. Just not me cup of tea to play all the games. In NY a dealer would be out of business playing all these games. I guess I'm just not used to being on the other side of the deal. We always offered items to our customers and some were good and some were bad. Down here there is no option, it's on the car and that's that. You may be able to negotiate some of it off but then it's some other charge you'll have to deal with.

Some of the Toyota dealers said they didn't charge any "dealer fees" I found out they just call them something else yet they still charge them.

Toyota has that regional thing all over the country.... they signed them way back when they were just coming to the US and from what I read are stuck with them... I think they tried to get out of the agreement for the one that does Texas and surrounding states... but I think they came to another agreement and it keep on....

I do think the Toyota dealers complained enought that they now offer some cars without all the junk that nobody wants... we just looked at a few Corollas and they had a couple without the markups...

My friend and I used to call the other fee you mentioned the 'just because' fee... it is just because they can... enough stupid people will pay the fee to get that Toyota or Honda that is in demand.... so why not.. I remember one Honda dealer even showed it as a 'market adjustment fee'... I remember on one car it was $2,000... can not remember which one though...

My car is 11 years old and just passed the 100,000 mile mark so I am seriously considering a new car . My last car was a Toyota Solara and I loved it but I'm still slightly wary of Toyota . I 'm looking for a small SUV or sedan ( Think Camry or the Hyundai Sonata ) . What would my fellow forum members buy and why ?

I would not say Camry is small. I think Corolla would qualify as a small vehicle though these days those small cars become compact more like it.
I'm probably biased towards Toyota because we both drive them. My DH drives '97 Corolla (base model, manual windows, casette, manual shift):cool::greetings10:. He bought it when it was 3y.o. and still hesitates to replace it. It's 105k miles on it, I'm guessing, no major repairs even after two small accidents that required fixing exterior and did cause any internal problems. Mine was bought new. It's 2003 Camry and still love it. It has 85K miles, no major repairs, only regular maintenance, new brakes and tires.

Yes, I was worried about all this Toyota's exposure in media, but in my way of thinking, I suppose the company has to perform more rigorous testing before new cars are rolled off of assembly lines these days because Toyota doesn't want to lose its loyal customers and also wishes to win others people back who lost their faith in Toyota.
When we start looking for a car, I might test Civic.

PS. I remember when Toyota was announced to have surpassed GM as the biggest automaker, I said to my DH "now let's wait and see because I think it will get in trouble like GM did when it became the biggest many years ago."

To the OP.... I have seen and read a few reviews of mid sized cars... a comparison test... the new 2011 Hyundai Sonata is winning them all. If you are going this direction it would be something I would look at...

I looked at the Hyundai SUVs and they seemed pretty good for the price... I bought an Elantra a year ago... still not sure of the very long term repair record... but for the first 5 years it seems that they match Toyota and Honda... hopefully they will for the next 10....

Thanks everybody for your advice . The Honda CRV is at the top of my list . I'm looking at the EX model.

I'd buy the CRV. It was #2 on my list when I was looking at new SUV's, as I mentioned back when I bought my Venza. I really think you can't go wrong with it. Good choice.

Next step - - the test drive?

W2R, I'm here to say that buying a car in Florida is not easy, unless you want to lay down and give them all your money. They may sell it to you cheap, which I doubt, but they will kill you with a bunch of fees that make no sense.
Believe me I tried to buy a new Toyota last week, didn't work out so well for me.
After 35 years in the car biz I've never seen anything like the scams they are running down here. Not a good idea to know too much if you want to buy a new car in Florida.
Huh? Have bought three cars new in the last 7 years in Fla and never had a problem, with prices being more or less competitive based on my homework. Fees are stiff, but that is typical for no-income-tax states, at least in Az and Fl.

Did I miss something? I did pay cash, so if it is related to financing it was irrelevant to me.

Moemg,
I mentioned earlier that I have a 2003 CRV (EX) and one thing that bugged me was the rear brakes needed to be replaced at 14k miles (other cars around 20-30k), and I don't ride my brakes. This obviously is different for each person, their driving habits and each car, but what bothered me the most was the wear indicator never went off. When I checked the rotors, they were scored only on the opposite side of the rotor on both rear rotors (the rotors still had about 33% more wear to go on the indicator side). I couldn't find any shop that would cut the rotors even though they weren't scored too badly. Then I discovered the rotors were cheaper to replace than to have them recut. I called the Honda dealer nearest me and they weren't surprised at the uneven wear on the back brakes. I only have 24k miles on the car and the front brakes haven't worn out yet, but I believe I should check them soon now that I'm writing this.

Hondas have an ongoing problem with premature wear on brakes that is flat out maddening and Honda refuses to do anything about it. Forget about the 3year 36,000 mile bumper to bumper, Honda only covers brakes for 1 year 12,000. Having put two sets of rear rotors on my 2003 Accord in the last 35,000 miles, I can safely say Honda is terrible at brakes............:(

:2funny: :ROFLMAO: I guess so!!

But, if I really really REALLY needed great gas mileage such as that provided by a Prius or other hybrid, then I'd also look at a Fit even though it isn't a hybrid. My co-worker reported absolutely mind-boggling mileage with hers.

When I was looking I was very impressed with the zippy in town feel and steering response of the Fit. Wanted to like the Elantra Touring but hated the steering feel - tried two different Tourings and they both felt awful. The Fit at 55mph had zero poop - sometimes I want to pass at that speed. Went with very used BMW wagon.

Now I know why we keep our cars sooo long because car shopping is awful . I test drove the Hyundai Sonata & the Hyundai Tucson. I love the looks of the Sonata and it drives great . The Tucson was just okay . It took me forever to get a price and it was not a great one since the Sonatas are selling so well . I'm going to test drive the Honda this week end . Hopefully they give me a better deal . I am also going to Toyota to check out the Rav & the Camry and if I have any sanity left I'll check out the Subrau's . My SO's son had a Subrau that lasted forever .

Back
Top Bottom