Is it a sin for wanting to own a nice car?

That's the nice thing about some daily driver cars today...they have just as much or more power than muscle cars of the past.

My 2015 Acura has 290 HP, more than a Firebird Formula 350. It also gets 35 mpg on the highway.
Very true... My last daily driver had 717 factory hp but it would surely be considered a muscle car today. Muscle cars of the late 60's were pushing about 425/435 factory hp. (ex 426/427 cu in engines). Gas mileage now on my last car was ~21mpg on the highway. Back then is was about half of that, IIRC.

Last edited:
When I was in my mid-30s I bought a new Corvette. I had a good salary at the time but, honestly, it was not a great financial decision since I had to finance it. I owned the car for 3 years. It was broken into 3 times (people either trying to steal the car itself or the top) and the insurance company didn't want to insure any more. By then I was tired of walking out to parking lots and finding my car broken into so I traded it in on a Buick Reata.

Anyway - despite all of that I never regretted for one minute that I bought the car. I loved owning it all the rest of the time. Now? I don't have a desire to have a car like that. Things change over time and I wouldn't want to spend that money now. But, I think if you can afford it there is nothing wrong with buying what you want.

Very true... My last daily driver had 717 factory hp but it would surely be considered a muscle car today. Muscle cars of the late 60's were pushing about 425/435 factory hp. (ex 426/427 cu in engines). Gas mileage now on my last car was ~21mpg on the highway. Back then is was about half of that, IIRC.

And not only that, but in the "good old days" they rated them in gross hp. And sometimes those numbers were some pretty "gross" exaggerations!

I've heard some sources say the 426 Hemi put out around 350 hp net, although I've heard others say it really did put out around 425 hp. But it was supposedly one of the more realistically-rated engines.

I don't know if there's any truth to it, but I've heard that Mopar tended to under-rate their engines a bit, whereas GM was more likely to exaggerate their hp. And Ford was somewhere in the middle.

Yeah, since my early 20s, I've rarely gotten close to a red line nor worried too much about "power" and "torque" figures as long as the vehicle will do what I want it to do.

Every once in a while (like when a light turns yellow) I'll "punch it" and say "Flog those hamsters!"

Other than that, I'm becoming more and more clueless on specs. Heh, heh, I'm probably more interested in the MPG than the HP, etc. YMMV

Oh, and I once owned a Corvette with the small block 350/350/4spd. No, I don't remember the RPM at peak torque and HP. It was getting up there for the HP though.
I did not know my 5.9 Cummins ISB with common rail fuel injection had a rev limiter.
I just never spun it above about 2800, it did not "feel" right to me, since torque is the thing and it peaks at 1650.
2800 got me to a good place in the next gear.
My wife is good with a manual and one day she was driving 4 of us around with the trailer off, on a camping adventure.
She could not see well to get into the traffic, so I looked and said punch it!
What do you know, she hit that 3200 RPM rev limiter in 3 gears!!
It did make me giggle a bit.

And not only that, but in the "good old days" they rated them in gross hp. And sometimes those numbers were some pretty "gross" exaggerations!

I've heard some sources say the 426 Hemi put out around 350 hp net, although I've heard others say it really did put out around 425 hp. But it was supposedly one of the more realistically-rated engines.
I don't know if there's any truth to it, but I've heard that Mopar tended to under-rate their engines a bit, whereas GM was more likely to exaggerate their hp. And Ford was somewhere in the middle.
IIRC, all you said is true... No doubt how they measure HP has had some variability in the last 50+ years. SAE, gross, net, certified, brake, flywheeel, rear wheel, etc. (Sort of like measuring and comparing Net Worth around here :LOL:) Also, back in the day, some understated their real HP for insurance reasons. Z28's comes to mind. Grossly understated back in the day.

I also agree (and know for sure) that MOPAR has been "under promising and over delivering" on their sports vehicles performance in recent years. Probably HP too. I've owned several Hellcat power vehicles in the last 5 years and all of them have beat the advertise performance numbers pretty easily. I guess they do that to be sure every vehicle they sell will at least meet the advertised specs.

Last edited:
All my life, I have been in the "financially challenged" situation. One thing I would love to have is to own an AMG SUV or a M sport SAV.

If one looks at this from pure financial prospective, it is really a bad idea. 100K sitting in a high yield account at 5% is making 5K a year. One 100K car sitting in the driveway will lose at least 10% every year, let alone needing insurance and maintenance costs. Currently, late model CPO does not offer much savings.

But if I don't get one now, I would probably never going to get one once I am retired. We only live once, is getting a nice car before retirement a really big sin?

I can relate to your question.
In 2021, I bought a certified pre-owned BMW.
I saw high inflation coming many years ago.
The value of the money saved would be reduced before my eyes.

I enjoy driving and owning an ultimate driving machine was on my life to do list.

Fast forward more than two years later, I am happy with the decision. The same car costs more now, even with higher mileage. It doesn't mean I earn money. It was not an investment in the first place. Had I not bought it, I may not have bought it ever since the price got higher and higher.

Every time I drive the car, I feel good. Listening to the engine roaring to gain traction from 0 to 60 mph is a beautiful music in my ears.

If you can buy a luxury car without breaking the bank and it is what you want, by all means go for it.

I’ve had many nice cars and trucks, but the only form of transportation that made me truly happy was a nice bicycle.

Actually many of the 60s-early 70s high performance cars were underrated for insurance reasons. They made more hp than stated, not less. Sure the marketing folks wanted big numbers to compare to competition. Underrated also helped in racing with weight to hp ratios.

1972 was the change to net hp ratings from gross hp used earlier. Also when emission laws started kicking in and compression ratios lowered.

Yep the same guy that also said

Whiling walking a mile to the store under the noon sun. It hit me - if we are living this hard with a 6 figure salary and benefits, how could we manage without those in retirement? It is confirmed again when I have to cut the two week old grasses. I hate mowing the lawn and the mosquito bites.

To answer the OP's question, of course it's not a sin, what a weird way to look at it. Do what you want with your money if you can afford it and your partner's on board with your decision. Not to sound like a shrink but your head seems to be all over the place as to your priorities and finances.

Oh, wait. OP is THAT guy? I didn’t realize. Now I feel trolled.

As long as it is not greed, lust, or gluttony, I think you will be OK in the sin area!

Heh, heh, or Pride. I bought a car out of "pride" (I think) and I ended up getting rid of it very quickly at significant loss. I've never had that issue since (well, concerning cars) and I learned it early. It was a good lesson - but expensive.

Similar position as you. I am 61 and just getting to retiring my 11 year old Subaru that i bought new. I normally buy a car and keep it for 10 years so my next car will take me to 71!

So I want to buy a new EV and man the BMW IX looks nice at $85k! I can easily afford it and have come close.

But in the end I decided to let someone else have the depreciation and buy a 3 year old Audi for like $35K.

Just cant do it on the new luxury car.

Everybody has their "thing". For some, it's eating out at several times per week. For others, it's nice vacations 1 or 2 times per year. Designer clothes, expensive hobbies, etc. Some like nice cars. Ultimately, if you can afford it, you enjoy it and it doesn't become a status symbol or an idol, then why not? We buy only German cars, but we pay cash and we drive them until the wheels fall off. We currently own a 23 year old Mercedes and a 16 year old Mercedes. Both are solid cars and they last a long time if well maintained.

When DH and I married 10 years ago, we sold his home and he moved into mine. Both of our houses were long paid off. With some of the proceeds of his home we decided to buy a 4 year old CPO Porsche Cayman. Great decision, we have now had that car for 10 years and it's given us enjoyment that we couldn't get if we had stuck the money in the bank.

Hello, I retired in Dec 2017 after 28 years heavy check with United Airlines. They had, and have a great retirement savings plan and I did. Single, w no kids. Retired with 800K and had grown it to 1.3 Mil with partially managed accounts at Fidelity by 2021. I had driven an '08 Kia Sorento 110K Mi and was closing in on 70 years of age. My point? I realized I could afford to write a check for 70K and a new 2022 Lincoln Aviator, spec'd out and made to order. Financial plan still works. I own my home , etc.etc. Admittedly it was a little jarring at first, but the SUV is fantastic, and a joy to drive. I have the Kia for urban elbows. Felt good to write that check, felt like I'd earned it. You should too.

I have had sports cars since 18 y.o.
Currently have a BMW Z4, but it is starting to age out.
Love the new Corvettes. Thinking about it for now.

In 2000-2002 I thought I had broken the code on my business success, and I splurged on a 2002 Saab 9–5 Aero. It was only the second new car I’d ever bought. Something like $42,000 at the time, equivalent to $71k in current dollars. Well, the business success didn’t last, and unfortunately neither did my marriage, but that car stuck with me for 20 years and 190k miles. I still loved driving it, but (especially after a cancer scare) I decided it was now or never on a Tesla, something I’d lusted after for 15 years. That was about $55k, more than I should have spent, given my less-than-overflowing retirement accounts. But I don’t regret it. We’ll see if I drive this one for 20 years (when I’ll be 86!??), or if I get a fever for a newer model. :D

I did something similar. I owned various MBs over the years. Hadn’t liked the styling lately until the 2014 E350 came along. Had a nice bonus that year and bought one.

No regrets. I still have it along with a van for hauling junk and wife’s car.

Ins is about the same regardless of the car or age.

Depending on what is available in a few years, the MB could come back as a MB, BMW or Land Rover.

The value in a good CPO if you can fine one that meets your specs is the 6 year warranty. But stay as close to 12 months from original delivery date as you can. Mfg full warranty starts and ends from that date.

If spending the $$ won’t hurt, go for it. Pay cash.

Mark,
I posted a reply earlier, but thought everyone might enjoy this story.

Several years ago, I stopped in a MB dealer to pick up a part. There was a 1 year old gull wing SLS? With a $140k price on it. While talking to the sales guy about it, I asked if the previous owner had been a local ball player or what.

He said that a year prior, an elderly lady walked in (likely 70 based on his age). She said she wanted to see one of the new gull wing sports cars. Drove it, looked at the sales guy and told him she always wanted one of the gull wing SLs when she was younger and couldn’t afford one.

Now I can and I’ll take this one and wrote a check for $200K+.

A year later, she came back and told him she really enjoyed the car, but it was a little small. Pointed at a new S, said I like that one and wrote a check for the difference.

The only point to this aside from being amusing and true is buy it, enjoy it and trade it if it doesn’t fit your lifestyle.

Me, still regretting not buying that SLS. Would be worth a lot more now, but couldn’t afford a divorce.

Last edited:
DH and I are both car people having both been in the business for 30 plus years. We always bought cheaper quality used cars while we were working. Once retired we bought a used 2019 Lexus GX460 and used 2021 Lexus NX300. Both great cars.
Last year DH got a 17 Shelby GT350R Mustang. That was the most expensive car purchase we've made. Paid 70k for it and had 4k miles on it. It's an amazing machine. 526 Hp with a flat plane crank. It revs to the moon and sounds incredible! Basically a track car you can drive on the street. It's so far held its value quite well and could probable sell for what we paid.

I can relate to your question.
In 2021, I bought a certified pre-owned BMW.
I saw high inflation coming many years ago.
The value of the money saved would be reduced before my eyes.

I enjoy driving and owning an ultimate driving machine was on my life to do list.

Fast forward more than two years later, I am happy with the decision. The same car costs more now, even with higher mileage. It doesn't mean I earn money. It was not an investment in the first place. Had I not bought it, I may not have bought it ever since the price got higher and higher.

Every time I drive the car, I feel good. Listening to the engine roaring to gain traction from 0 to 60 mph is a beautiful music in my ears.

If you can buy a luxury car without breaking the bank and it is what you want, by all means go for it.
Same story for me, only a 2013 MB S550, purchased in May of 2016.

I love the stupid car.

Thinking about it: 2023 GLE 53 AMG CPO with less than 5000 miles.
More than likely to get: 2023 X5 Xdrive 45E, CPO with less than 5000 mile, M sport and executive packages.
Would settle: 2023 MDX CPO SH-AWD w/ Advance Package.

All have price drops recently around 2k to 5K, below Kelly blue book fair price, and qualify as "great buy" per autotrader.

One strong consideration is the 2023 GX460. The V8 gas mileage is a concern but you could drive it for 300,000 miles with little maintenance cost.

An odd limiting factor is painted wheels. A lot, if not the majority, of the "sport" cars have wheels painted black. Both me and DW do not like that.

Last edited:
Went through a spate of BMWs - didn't break the bank on any of them and was turning my own wrenches, soo..

The phrase I've heard is "smiles per gallon". If that rate is high enough then spend the money.

Yes, a bit of decadence, 2020 Cadillac CT6. Big, comfy, looks good, a pleasure to drive. MPG not too shabby at 25 MPG.

Back
Top Bottom