which smart phone?

I just received my Samsung J3 yesterday that cost $99. My first smart phone. This info is just for newbies or Luddites like me wanting one and not a comprehensive review. I have maybe used a smart phone 2 times in my life, but have extensive use on an Ipad. Using my Ipad experience, setting up the J3 was a total breeze. Including email and downloading apps. I know its an Android and understand it is not OS an Apple. But to a Luddite, it acts just the same to me. Though a "cheapie" it has plenty of space to download apps. It has the 16 space instead of 8, so all of apps I am interested in having (not alot) are fine on the phone plus any more if needed. Voice calling on phone is better than my dumb phone, but I had a cheap dumb phone. I suppose paying for a more expensive phone gives you a better camera, pixel definition, and possibly battery strength. This appears to be fine with battery strength. I didn't need bells and whistles so this one appears to suit my needs. I imagine if you go from a dumb phone to a mid level smart phone, you will think...awesome! If you go from expensive one to a lower level one, that feeling would probably not occur.... Unless of course you were a total Luddite who had a top end one and didn't learn to use the bells and whistles. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was going to get a Samsung S7 but then saw the Moto X Pure for $299 with a gorgeous screen, camera, 16GB, water resistant and was sold. About half the price of a S7 and the screen is the size of the more expensive S7 edge.

Oh yes, and it is sold unlocked and can use Verizon, AT&T, Tmobile (most phones can't do this).

Wow, reviews sound good, and supports both CDMA and GSM (the hardware for the various carriers you mentioned) - cool!

DD and DW have the Moto-G and are very happy with them, they were ~ $220 IIRC. This Moto-X sounds really good at $299. I'm tempted (still use a non-smartphone flip), but that screen is so large, it almost looks like a small tablet! If I go smart phone, I'm almost thinking small would be good for me, and keep my tablet in the car and 'hotspot' the phone when I really want to do anything intensive?

-ERD50

Wow, reviews sound good, and supports both CDMA and GSM (the hardware for the various carriers you mentioned) - cool!

DD and DW have the Moto-G and are very happy with them, they were ~ $220 IIRC. This Moto-X sounds really good at $299. I'm tempted (still use a non-smartphone flip), but that screen is so large, it almost looks like a small tablet! If I go smart phone, I'm almost thinking small would be good for me, and keep my tablet in the car and 'hotspot' the phone when I really want to do anything intensive?

-ERD50

Get the Moto-X pure. I can't believe you can get so much phone for so little money, unlocked no contract. The screen is better than my Alienware 4k laptop.

-ERD50

Getting used to the smaller screen of a phone was my biggest adjustment. That said, I do like a phone that fits on one hand. With the phone I got, trying to poke and type on the tiny screen using the default keyboard was frustrating. But after adding a larger button app for about $3, my phone is quite functional. IMO, Smart phones are all about the apps.

For me know, if I go away for a weekend, I can get connected enough. But if I am gone for several days, I'd still rather [-]lug [/-]carry along a laptop to get some serious interneting :) done.

After 48 hours of owning a smart phone, I am kind of surprised about the battery. I have been playing with it off an on all 2 days, various phone calls, texting, surfing and downloading apps etc. Anyways after 2 days of decent usage, but little video downloading, I still have 50% power. I did not power my phone off. All I have ever read is people complaining their phone doesnt last until end of the day or has to be recharged nightly....What do people do with their phones, watch YouTube all day on them? It looks to me I can go 3-4 days without charging.

One thing that soaks battery is Bluetooth. Another is downloading apps that are always checking for new messages and releases. Facebook and WhatsApp are examples.

So you can turn off Bluetooth and even WiFi if you just use it as a phone.

After 48 hours of owning a smart phone, I am kind of surprised about the battery. I have been playing with it off an on all 2 days, various phone calls, texting, surfing and downloading apps etc. Anyways after 2 days of decent usage, but little video downloading, I still have 50% power. I did not power my phone off. All I have ever read is people complaining their phone doesnt last until end of the day or has to be recharged nightly....What do people do with their phones, watch YouTube all day on them? It looks to me I can go 3-4 days without charging.

Anything with video sucks up bandwidth and the battery power. Otherwise, it's not bad. You probably have a setting that indicates the historical power usage by feature based over time. Look under settings/battery or power use.

Anything with video sucks up bandwidth and the battery power. Otherwise, it's not bad. You probably have a setting that indicates the historical power usage by feature based over time. Look under settings/battery or power use.

I had not looked at that before. Kind of interesting chart. Shows I still have 11 hours left of usage. KC's post had me look at Bluetooth...It is off.

Count me in for project fi. Bought the nexus 5x...its $200+tax. Great phone, huge screen, fast. Im not a data hog. Matter of fact I keep the cellular data option turned off. I have access to wifi at home/work so data is a none issue. I do sometimes have to use data...but only a couple hundred meg a month. My last bill was $31. No complaints yet.

My biggest complaint with iphones is the markup. You have to wait 2 or 3 years if you want to buy one at a decent price. Im not willing to shell out $650 for a brand new 6s model...and im not about to rent a phone from the big providers and be locked in for 2 years. Android has a ton of options for phones...you can even get really good ones for around $100.

Last edited:
My recently purchased iphone 5 is outstanding. I had a very cheap cell phone awhile back that I hated. I am using Ting--pay as you go and incredibly transparent.

On my phone, an HTC One S, I've found that having the cellular data function turned on just kills my battery. With it off, I can go about two days. So I only turn the cellular data radio on when needed and immediately turn it off. Do vast majority of data on WiFi.

So here's where I ended up... a Tracfone Alcatel... with buttons, camera, and a radio that works without a earphones. I am delighted. Activated in one try, without talking to anyone...

Does this one require the use of another phone (i.e. one other than it) to activate it?

Back
Top Bottom