which smart phone?

frank

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am looking at a smart phone. the only thing I have is a flip phone. I am with us cellular and would stay there. I was looking at a moto-g 1548 3rd gen. Does anyone have any experience with this phone? are some of the phones us cellular offer a better deal for the price? thanks

frank

I am looking at a smart phone. the only thing I have is a flip phone. I am with us cellular and would stay there. I was looking at a moto-g 1548 3rd gen. Does anyone have any experience with this phone? are some of the phones us cellular offer a better deal for the price?

I would go with a 4G/4G LTE phone. With an Android 6.0+ operating system. Something with WiFi capability if you do any traveling. A decent phone should run ~$200. Walmart has phones you can buy unlocked (or unlock it), that can work on most networks.

Most Android smart phones are very similar. It's not the phone that makes a difference, it's the operating system, Android.

There are features on each phone that might be more useful. Camera resolution, phone memory, etc.

In the end, most modern phones can use most apps.

We had Android phones with AT&T, but we switched to iPhones with Verizon Nov 2014. I will never go back to Android. No phone is entirely secure, but I am convinced Apple iOS is slightly more secure than Android. Neither is bulletproof re: privacy, but Apple/iOS does significantly less data mining/sharing and retaining personal data than Google/Android and Android, especially third party apps. But it's a personal choice, both are very popular. You should carefully look at both (in person and online reviews if phones & security) and decide for yourself.

Last edited:
Depending on the sale you can get a Nexus 5X for under $250. Great phone that has direct support from Google so you'll get all the software and security updates regularly. Plus the camera is good enough to serve as an all around camera, unless you have real photography equipment.

Really cheap Android phones tend to be of extremely poor quality so paying a little more will prevent a lot of headaches later.

Look into Google FI if you consider new providers and don't want to go Apple.

Android isn't inherently "less" secure than iphone, but your providers (sprint/verizon etc.) may be slower in getting you updates on android.

Google works like Apple in that when there's an OS or Security patch it comes right to your phone, rather than 2 months later when your 3rd-party carrier decides to send it.

And yes all apps work on all phones pretty much, but I do like paying $27 a month for a Google supported phone and plan.

Any downsides to Google FI if you aren't a huge mobile data user? I'm under 1G/month. I'm going to take a serious look at it when my contract comes up in December. From a quick look I think I'd even come out a bit ahead if I did early termination and started now.

Android isn't inherently "less" secure than iphone, but your providers (sprint/verizon etc.) may be slower in getting you updates on android.

Google works like Apple in that when there's an OS or Security patch it comes right to your phone, rather than 2 months later when your 3rd-party carrier decides to send it.
Thanks, my bad. Though I said security, and it's a concern as you describe, I probably should have said privacy or securing personal information. Neither is bulletproof re: privacy, but Apple/iOS does significantly less data mining/sharing and retaining personal data than Google/Android, especially third party apps. That said, I realize many people choose Android.

Last edited:
Frank, eerie post as you sound like me.... I own a dumb phone and just ordered yesterday my first phone. Moto 3 with all the positive official reviews and personal satisfaction reviews were the reason I ordered it. Until I couldnt...It was on sale for $85 through Virgin Mobile website, the carrier I have used for years. Except they will not send order to a PO Box and billing address must match mailing address. Well my billing address is my PO Box too....Anyhow switched gears and ordered a Samsung J3 through Walmart that was on sale for $99 which was considerably cheaper there than VM own website. It has ability with 16GB to hold more apps. I imagine I would have been happy with either one. I am not worried about a great camera.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frank, eerie post as you sound like me.... I own a dumb phone and just ordered yesterday my first phone. Moto 3 with all the positive official reviews and personal satisfaction reviews were the reason I ordered it. Until I couldnt...It was on sale for $85 through Virgin Mobile website, the carrier I have used for years. Except they will not send order to a PO Box and billing address must match mailing address. Well my billing address is my PO Box too....Anyhow switched gears and ordered a Samsung J3 through Walmart that was on sale for $99 which was considerably cheaper there than VM own website. It has ability with 16GB to hold more apps. I imagine I would have been happy with either one. I am not worried about a great camera.

What made you decide to cross over? I thought you were one of the purists :) left here.

I some ways, I still miss my dumb phone.

none :)

and happy with that decision

I am glad there is something left to turn off the lights on dumb phones, because I thought I was the last one. :) We have gotten so few, a kid of about 30 saw me on my phone in plane while boarding and goes "cool you got an old Blackberry". I had to tell him it was not only not a Blackberry but it was not capable of connecting to internet". I will use it for minor things such as weather, directions, checking on stocks, and checking in for return air flights, etc. They have got so cheap in cost of phones and plans it is hard not to justify having one.

What made you decide to cross over? I thought you were one of the purists :) left here.

I some ways, I still miss my dumb phone.

I got tired of being pounded by GF from not having one. I can pay $5 a month more. Cost was initially the reason, now its not. I wont use it often as I will need readers to use it, and I dont carry them much with me. What I think I will miss the most is only having to charge my phone once every 5 days.

I miss my dumb flip-phone. When I talk to people on my iPhone 5S, they constantly say "What?" "What?" "I can't hear what you are saying, it sounds garbled!"

For me, the whole point of a phone is for phone conversations. Consumer Reports says none of the phones they tested are any good for conversations.

I seldom use the internet features any more at all. The camera is nice.

I got tired of being pounded by GF from not having one. I can pay $5 a month more. Cost was initially the reason, now its not. I wont use it often as I will need readers to use it, and I dont carry them much with me. What I think I will miss the most is only having to charge my phone once every 5 days.

When I crossed over, the small price difference between a flip phone and smart were nominal so I took the dive. Sadly, I've become one of the folks instead of watching a full baseball game, have one eye at the TV the other tapping away at the phone. At least I haven't resorted to taking a picture of every meal I eat. At least not yet.

That said, there are some handy apps which I like and I'm starting to get the hang of making a phone call :(. Though I did accidentally call someone (darn Facebook messenger) at around 7 in the morning. When I apologized (she didn't pick up) by messenger, she just laughed.

Last edited:
I miss my dumb flip-phone. When I talk to people on my iPhone 5S, they constantly say "What?" "What?" "I can't hear what you are saying, it sounds garbled!"

For me, the whole point of a phone is for phone conversations. Consumer Reports says none of the phones they tested are any good for conversations.

I seldom use the internet features any more at all. The camera is nice.

Ironic that one thing smart phones don't do a great job in is using as a phone. I'm sure the flatness of the screen doesn't fit a regular face that well.

Ironic that one thing smart phones don't do a great job in is using as a phone. I'm sure the flatness of the screen doesn't fit a regular face that well.

That's probably it. I have a fairly standard, clear, unaccented voice and I do speak up when on the phone so it's not me. I had no trouble with my old Motorola flip phone that I had many years ago. But, flip phones have a different shape.

I feel like I get more bang for the buck with a smart phone, even though it's more bucks. I use the internet features way more than I ever did the phone and texting.

It is remarkable just how much a smartphone becomes so much about the Internet access and so much less about distractingly disruptive voice calls.

Samsung S6's are still > $400, otherwise I'd suggest that. It is an absolutely fantastic device.

It runs Android, which is a big money-saver compared to iOS, when comparing apples-to-apples: https://www.statista.com/chart/1903/average-selling-price-of-android-and-ios-smartphones/ And that's just the phones themselves. Extras tend to cost more for iOS as well... iOS is a culture, in a way. If you like its interfaces, it feels so much better. The same is actually the case for Android, but because there are myriad sources for practically every aspect of Android, it doesn't feel so exclusive, it doesn't feel so premium. If you don't pay as much it cannot possibly be as good, can it? ;)

what is google FI? is that an operating system or a phone company?

what is google FI? is that an operating system or a phone company?

It's a phone service that uses the Sprint and T-Mobile networks. Cheaper, but with some limitations, notable that it works with just 2 or 3 Nexus phones. If you google "Google FI" you can find a lot of articles that explain it, as well as the official site.

Cell Phone

Want to thank you all for this thread because it got me into looking... again... for a plain old button type cell phone that doesn't have 627 menus, sub-menus, and sub-sub menus... and doesn't require pin point accuracy to dial a number on a screen that I can't hardly see in the first place, and that doesn't pocket dial or knock-knock-knock when I put it in my pocket.

So here's where I ended up... a Tracfone Alcatel... with buttons, camera, and a radio that works without a earphones. I am delighted. Activated in one try, without talking to anyone...so:
phone... one year service, and 800 minutes... $29.95 free shipping

Here:
Alcatel Big Easy Plus with 800 Minutes and One Year of Service Tracfone New 616960045762 | eBay
:dance:

Just ordered another one...

I was going to get a Samsung S7 but then saw the Moto X Pure for $299 with a gorgeous screen, camera, 16GB, water resistant and was sold. About half the price of a S7 and the screen is the size of the more expensive S7 edge.

Oh yes, and it is sold unlocked and can use Verizon, AT&T, Tmobile (most phones can't do this).

Depending on the sale you can get a Nexus 5X for under $250. Great phone that has direct support from Google so you'll get all the software and security updates regularly. Plus the camera is good enough to serve as an all around camera, unless you have real photography equipment.

Really cheap Android phones tend to be of extremely poor quality so paying a little more will prevent a lot of headaches later.
Yes, getting a Google Android is the way to go in my opinion. Somewhat cheaper then Apple.

I got a Nexus 6P when it first came out. Very happy with it. It is the same size as an Iphone 6+. Cost is $500 directly from Google. And it is unlocked, and GSM (good for Europe).

I don't take pictures with my digital camera anymore. The Nexus 6P is very good. If one uses Lastpass on the phones (or tablet or PC) then I think security is pretty good, especially for financial stuff. The 6P has a fingerprint reader which works great with Last pass.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom