Which water filter brand are you using in your kitchen (for drinking)?

Disappointed

Recycles dryer sheets
Reverse osmosis system seems to waste a lot of water so that is out.
Reading reviews of different brands on Amazon gives me a headache.

thx

MP

The >brand< of filter is immaterial. The type of filter/technology used is the important thing. And to determine which type is best, we'd need to know:
1) What is wrong with your tap water/what problem are you addressing?
2) Are you on a municipal water supply or on your own well?
3) Is your drinking water right at the kitchen sink the only thing you want to treat, or do you also need to address water to an icemaker/cold water tap in the fridge door?

I use granular activated carbon filters in a standard 10 inch generic filter housing under the kitchen sink. Cold water only and I change them every 6 months. They work well, removes the chlorine taste/smell and not a lot of dough.

We have reverse osmosis.... do not care about the wasted water...

However, DW and DD seem to think that the filter on the fridge is 'better'.... no amount of me telling them otherwise has changed their mind...

Some people like the taste of the dissolved minerals.

I like my little GAC under the sink. I go to the kitchen and fill my bed time water bottle there as I can taste the reduced chlorine compared to the bedroom sink.

As far as carbon filters go there are 3 types;

The first is some kind of carbon paper, not so effective.

The second is the GAC, granular activated carbon, and you can hear the little grains rattling around in there when you shake it.

The best is the "carbon block" a solid piece. Best in terms of taste, but the flow suffers and they are expensive.

The city water here is good. My girlfriend from Tahoe thought so and she's really particular. But all city water has chlorine and that never tastes good.

I use the one in my refrigerator. The important thing is to understand the NSF Standard that the filter is rated at. The one I buy is certified to standard 42 and 53. Most of the cheaper filters are just NSF 42 (taste aesthetics). If I was concerned and assuming I'm on a public water system, I would get a zero water filter jug. Beyond that, I'd go with reverse osmosis. I've never been on a well, but if I was, I'd engage a professional to ensure my water is safe.

The best is the "carbon block" a solid piece. Best in terms of taste, but the flow suffers and they are expensive.

+1
Not that expensive. Most homebrewers I know use one for their brewing water.

Glacier ice - they say it's the cornerstone of the perfect martini. Probably costs as much as the Svalbardi, too.

A friend once went on an Antarctic cruise. They took passengers out to an iceberg in a Zodiac, and each person had a glass. The Zodiac driver had a bottle of Scotch and an icepick. Everyone was invited to chip a bit off the iceberg into his glass, then pour in a measure of Scotch for the perfect Scotch on the rocks. He said he wished he had brought his own, since the supplied Scotch was only an average blend, but the experience was memorable.

Just want to filter out chlorine from tap water, can't stand the taste of it. I have looked at several under sink systems but don't know which one to buy. Need to stop buying bottled water.

For many years, I used an Instapure gadget which attached to my kitchen faucet with the little knob to redirect water through the adjacent filter. But it became too tough to find replacement filters and the gadget began to leak so I got rid of it and bought a large Brita pitcher. It works well but some of the little black pellets get through and sink to the bottom of the pitcher. I have to make sure they don't get into my glass or pot.

Our tap water is actually quite good almost all of the time. We do use a Britta pitcher to feed the coffee maker, although we use the generic filters, as we have found that the coffee tastes better when we do. I also use it when I brew beer.

A permeate pump added to the reverse osmosis system can reduce waste water by 50%. About $46 on Amazon.

No filter here either, oh the horror. :crazy:

I know people with elaborate filters, using ice made with tap water...

Last edited:
RO under sink. I wouldn't have put it in, but I will keep it going.

Just want to filter out chlorine from tap water, can't stand the taste of it. I have looked at several under sink systems but don't know which one to buy. Need to stop buying bottled water.
We have an Aqua Pure AP200 System with its own faucet. Works fine for us. You're right about the Cl. Plumber cautioned us against having all kitchen cold water go thru it as it reduces water pressure & thus flow significantly.

+1
Our tap water here tastes wonderful. I drink unfiltered local tap water and think it is fine.
Have you blind tasted your tap water vs. filtered water? I bet you'd notice the Cl. But maybe that's an OK taste to you.

A Brita pitcher that sits in the fridge, as my fridge doesn't have a spout that serves cold water. About $40 for the pitcher and first filter, then watch for filters to go on sale and stock up. One filter lasts @3 months.

- Rita

Any carbon filter will get rid of the taste of chlorine.
Simplest: Brita or other pitcher. Or, if you don't mind the look/functionality, a filter that screws directly onto the kitchen faucet in place of the aerator. It will have a diverter valve so you can choose to have filtred water or not.
Cheapest long-term: Undersink OR countertop filter housing that uses standard "universal fit" 10" filter cartidges (these are actual;y a bit shorter than 10", closer to 9"). These cartridges are widely available (Lowes, HD or online etc), non-proprietary, and cheap. They come in a wide variety of filter media types (to get rid of silt, . Every 6 months or so cysts, lead, chlorine, etc). You just need a carbon filter element (granulated or block) to remove the chlorine, no need to spend a lot for a filter that does anything else. Every 6 months or so you'll need to unscrew the housing, remove and dispose of the the filter cartridge, clean the housing, base, and O-ring (with soapy water and a small bit of bleach), put the new filter in, and you are set to go for 6 more months. Filter changes take about 5 minutes and you'll need some space to get at the housing and remove it.
Most Convenient: Get an undersink model that uses "quarter-turn" filters. You just need one stage (not a unit with 2-3 filters). With these, you don't need to clean out a housing or do anything complicated. Every 6 months or so you turn off the attached valve,turn the filter housing 90 degrees and it pops out, put the new housing and filter in place with a quarter turn, and you are back in business for 6 months. It takes about 30 seconds to change the filter. The filters are more expensive than the universal fit elements (above), and if the manufacturer you choose quits making them, then you'll need to buy everything from scratch again. But these are still more convenient, cheaper and much more environmentally friendly than bottled water.

If you aren't willing to remember and actually change the filters every 6 months, then stick with bottled water. Once you remove the chlorine from the water (with the filter), the water and filter will begin to host some microbes. Things can get nasty in there if the filter maintenance isn't regular.

Last edited:
Ceramic Doulton Supercarb filters for a under-sink kitchen sink tap only (for drinking and cooking only). Changed every 6 months (well beyond the gallon limit they recommend). Takes the iron taste (and a lot of other stuff) out of MN tap water.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom