Who do you write like?

bbbamI is indeed very talented! :flowers::flowers:

On the subject of Grammar, I am OCD. Since "like" is a preposition (What is a Preposition?), and since "a preposition is not a good word to end a sentence with", and since the author whose writing style we emulate is the indirect object of the verb "write", perhaps the title should be:

"Like whom do you write? "

:LOL:

My imagination shifts to the macabre; I'm a Stephen King fan. :)

That makes two of us. The site indicated I write like Edgar Allen Poe. Don't know if it's true, but I was fastinated with Poe from a early age.

Quoth Purron: "Nevermore" ;)

Huh?

It says my non-technical writing is in the style of Dan Brown, and my technical commentary is in the style of Cory Doctorow. Then again, Doctorow's stuff uses the same funny tech stuff as in most technical writing, and both Brown and Doctorow write long, rambling sentences, so perhaps, all in all, the site is accurate in a very generic sort of way.

Or not.

Edit: This post gets "I write like Cory Doctorow"

bbbamI has given me an idea. Let's start a story thread! We could try one of those collaborative pieces, with each person adding a few paragraphs. It could get quite hilarious!

Who wants to begin?

I tried some technical writing and it came back like Arthur C Clark. Then some random other writings came back Edgar Allen Poe. A weird combination.

bbbamI has given me an idea. Let's start a story thread! We could try one of those collaborative pieces, with each person adding a few paragraphs. It could get quite hilarious!

Who wants to begin?
I'll play, but I have to warn you...I write macabre and X rated stories. :D

Someone else needs to start as I'd like to see the writing style. :)

A siamese cat peered out of the window onto the unkempt garden below. He raised his head and sniffed the breeze then suddenly dashed out of the room as though he caught a sent of impending doom...

Or maybe it was the sound of a can of Fancy Feast being popped;)

Attachments

• P1010063.JPG
    P1010063.JPG
    429.7 KB · Views: 0

Who wants to begin?

Collaborative Writing Assignment

"At first, Laurie couldn't decide which kind of tea she wanted. The chamomile, which used to be her favorite for lazy evenings at home, now reminded her too much of Carl, . . . "

"Meanwhile, Advance Sergeant Carl Harris, leader of the attack squadron now in orbit over Skylon 4, had more important things to think about than the neuroses of an air-headed asthmatic bimbo named Laurie with whom he had spent one sweaty night over a year ago."

Runaway

Drenched and shivering, Megan huddled in a doorway. At this time of night, the bus would not arrive for another twenty minutes at least, and in this area, crime was rampant. Through the rain, a solitary car appeared at the intersection and drove slowly down the deserted street. A john looking for tricks. Megan stood very still in the dark vestibule. The john passed and quiet reigned again, punctuated only by the sound of the driving rain. Megan began to sob as it all came rushing back: the sound of the door being kicked in, the gunshots, her father’s scream, and the gush of blood as he fell. She was alone now, and hunted.

Some results:

1. an extract from a novel I am writing: Cory Doctorow (whom I had never heard of)

2. the last post from my blog: Cory Doctorow (with apologies to Cory Doctorow)

3. the legal disclaimer which gets added to the bottom of all my work related e-mails: Cory Doctorow (with further apologies to Cory Doctorow!)

4. an email from a wine merchant during this year's en primeur campaign: James Joyce

5. an extract from "A Princess of Mars": Edgar Allan Poe

6. an extract from "The Mysterious Affair at Styles": Raymond Chandler

RAG is right.

My technical/scientific writing is like Arthur C Clarke. :eek: Does this mean that my scientific writing is not so much science as science fiction? :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

For casual writing (an old post from this forum), my writing was like James Joyce.

Who knew? :cool::D

Runaway

It was a dark and stormy night...

A siamese cat peered out of the window onto the unkempt garden below. He raised his head and sniffed the breeze then suddenly dashed out of the room as though he caught a sent of impending doom...

Or maybe it was the sound of a can of Fancy Feast being popped.

Drenched and shivering, Megan huddled in a doorway. At this time of night, the bus would not arrive for another twenty minutes at least, and in this area, crime was rampant. Through the rain, a solitary car appeared at the intersection and drove slowly down the deserted street. A john looking for tricks. Megan stood very still in the dark vestibule. The john passed and quiet reigned again, punctuated only by the sound of the driving rain. Megan began to sob as it all came rushing back: the sound of the door being kicked in, the gunshots, her father’s scream, and the gush of blood as he fell. She was alone now, and hunted.

There were two eyes on her; eyes glowing in the dark, head turning to the side fixating on the prey. Lips glistened as the tongue moved slowly across the mouth in anticipation of what may lie ahead. The only sound was the rain, a distant rumble of thunder and the steady, quickened heartbeat of the victim and the spectator.

David Foster Wallace. Never heard of him.

I pasted in just the first half of my sample. Result: David Foster Wallace

Then I pasted in just the second half. Result: Steven King.

Hmmmmmm.

The site indicated I write like Edgar Allen Poe. Don't know if it's true, but I was fastinated with Poe from a early age.

For the moon never beams without bringing me dreams
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee;
And the stars never rise but I feel the bright eyes
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee;
And so, all the night-tide, I lie down by the side
Of my darling- my darling- my life and my bride,
In the sepulchre there by the sea,
In her tomb by the sounding sea.

David Foster Wallace. Never heard of him.

I pasted in just the first half of my sample. Result: David Foster Wallace

Then I pasted in just the second half. Result: Steven King.

Hmmmmmm.

Neither I. Pasting in samples from me here I got David Foster Wallace (interesting sort, not a good end per Wiki), Stephen King, and then Cory Doctorow. Is Doctorow the default author? Rather depressed, as I was hoping for more of a Clemens flair.

The above bit is King again per IWL. foo.

I want a signed copy when you do!

....ummmm, wait a minute...only one?

Probably his shortest one, at that. What do recommend for book two? I have seen the movies. :blush:

I've been working/playing my way thru your Joycian styles. It'll take me a while. I did take a break to read the one T-Al found for free.

Probably his shortest one, at that. What do recommend for book two? I have seen the movies. :blush:

I've been working/playing my way thru your Joycian styles. It'll take me a while. I did take a break to read the one T-Al found for free.
My favorites are The Stand, Delores Claiborne, Pet Sematary, The Green Mile and Gerald's Game. I don't think a movie was made for Gerald's Game.

I pasted in text from a Teddy Roosevelt letter to Congress: IWL= H.P Lovecraft

I also submitted three samples of my own writing:

1. My mother's obituary: IWL= James Joyce
2. A long post from here on FIRE: IWL=David Foster Wallace
3. Letter to my mortgage company: IWL=Isaac Asimov

I suspect this is nothing more than a random name generator, probably looking for a few key words tied to an author or subject database.

Carrie missed the list?
Oh, I love Carrie too...I guess there are just way too many to suggest.

I saw Carrie with DH before he was DH. I think one of my elbows came in contact with his forehead at the very last scene...but he married me anyway. :D

Back
Top Bottom