Why do some old men wear their pants so high?..........

dex said:
My guess is that men buy the same size clothes as the get older. Unfortunatly, we get shorter as we get older.  So, if I wear a 32" waiste X 32" leg when I'm 30 I will probably think a 32" leg is my size.  When I'm 85 my pants should be shorter than a 32". 

I pull my pant up so I don't trip over my pants cuff!

We are too vain to admit we have srunk.

T.S. Eliot observed this same anatomical problem, but approached it a different way. In the "Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock", he says:

I grow old...I grow old...
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.

There is more, but it gets a bit dark for this forum.

Ha

HaHa said:
T.S. Eliot observed this same anatomical problem, but approached it a different way. In the "Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock", he says:

I grow old...I grow old...
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.

There is more, but it gets a bit dark for this forum.

Ha

The Crash Test Dummies refer to T. S. Eliot in their music, some of which
is also "a bit dark for this forum". :)

JG

DanTien said:
:)
"Everyone accepts each other the way they are," says Ms. Geffken's husband, Guido. "If someone showed up in a fur hat and nothing else, nobody would bat an eye." DanTien ::) ;)

Dan, too late, the damage is done. ;)

Has anyone notice that no females have responded to this thread so far? :LOL:

I'm a skirt, by the way...

MJ said:
Dan, too late, the damage is done. ;)
I hope I don't have an Angry Trout on my hands.

img_330766_0_c69d6b3b3bd12200963acfada7c1e2c9.jpg

Big fish! What is it?

JG

Northwestern Ontario's Lake Nipigon.
Within it lurk huge lake trout, many weighing more than 30 pounds (13.6 kg). There are stories of trout topping 70 pounds (31.8 kg), caught by commercial fishermen, circulating among anglers. Its waters have been famous since Dr. W.J. Cook caught the 14.5-pound (6.57 kg) world-record brook trout from the Nipigon River on July 21, 1916.
Rob Swainson, area fisheries biologist, said that Nipigon lake trout are some of the fastest growing in Ontario. An 18-pounder (8.17 kg) can be as young as 12 years of age. The introduction of smelt into the lake, first detected in 1976, might account for the substantial growth rates. There are other factors. Unlike Lake Superior to the south, where sea lamprey inflict heavy casualties on lake trout, Lake Nipigon remains free of these parasites. Trout there grow quickly and have the potential to live longer.

The best lake trout fishing occurs during June, July, and August. September can produce huge trout, but the weather can be unpredictable. Nipigon is a nasty lake when the weather makes her angry. Trust me, you don't want to test her fury. I try to pick calm days and wait out bad weather.

During summer, Nipigon's lake trout suspend near or below the thermocline and relate to forage. They're near reefs, humps, banks, island points, dropoffs, feeding shelves and flats, and suspended over open water. As surface water warms, downrigging becomes the presentation technique of choice. It gives you the option of fishing deep water and fighting huge trout on relatively light equipment. Big lakers can take more than 30 minutes to land, and they make several sizzling runs when they see the boat.
An average Nipigon lake trout weighs 12- to 15 pounds (5.5 to 6.8 kg).

http://www.mysticcharters.com/

DanTien said:
Big fish!  What is it?

JG

Northwestern Ontario's Lake Nipigon.
Within it lurk huge lake trout, many weighing more than 30 pounds (13.6 kg). There are stories of trout topping 70 pounds (31.8 kg), caught by commercial fishermen, circulating among anglers. Its waters have been famous since Dr. W.J. Cook caught the 14.5-pound (6.57 kg) world-record brook trout from the Nipigon River on July 21, 1916.
Rob Swainson, area fisheries biologist, said that Nipigon lake trout are some of the fastest growing in Ontario. An 18-pounder (8.17 kg) can be as young as 12 years of age. The introduction of smelt into the lake, first detected in 1976, might account for the substantial growth rates. There are other factors. Unlike Lake Superior to the south, where sea lamprey inflict heavy casualties on lake trout, Lake Nipigon remains free of these parasites. Trout there grow quickly and have the potential to live longer.

The best lake trout fishing occurs during June, July, and August. September can produce huge trout, but the weather can be unpredictable. Nipigon is a nasty lake when the weather makes her angry. Trust me, you don't want to test her fury. I try to pick calm days and wait out bad weather.

During summer, Nipigon's lake trout suspend near or below the thermocline and relate to forage. They're near reefs, humps, banks, island points, dropoffs, feeding shelves and flats, and suspended over open water. As surface water warms, downrigging becomes the presentation technique of choice. It gives you the option of fishing deep water and fighting huge trout on relatively light equipment. Big lakers can take more than 30 minutes to land, and they make several sizzling runs when they see the boat.
An average Nipigon lake trout weighs 12- to 15 pounds (5.5 to 6.8 kg).

http://www.mysticcharters.com/

Thanks. One of the few fresh water fish I have never fished for.

JG

The belting of pants is a serious topic. Belting generally requires an indention of the body. The body has natural indents below and above the belly (beer gut). No man has ever had an indent near the centerline of the beer gut. Hence, you either hitch-em up below or above said gut. Older (blue haired) ladies prefer a man with a high hitch, so I'm told.

This post may contain language unsuitable for the young. Please exercise caution when reading.

cube_rat said:
I'm a skirt, by the way...
I didn't observe this phenomenon on our cruise ship because almost everyone was in shorts or swimwear.  But old geezers & Speedos is a topic for another time & place.

I hardly ever wear pants either.  But when I do, my belt rides on the bone lumps that stick out of the edge of my pelvis. Apparently the key is to keep one's belly from protruding outside those lumps... although I'm not certain where to find blue-haired ladies for further research.

Someone ask Lee Iacocca. In that last commercial he did, they were so far up he could have used his pants for a hat.

As far as the skirt comment goes, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that i'm quite pleased that women dont start wearing their skirts higher up as they go into their 60's and higher.

There some joke out there involving antarctica and knowing its down there but not really wanting to talk about it anymore, but I cant completely recall it... :-X

Not sure the reason for  this, but there seems to be some carry-over into other areas for the "high water guys"

My brother-in-law for instance.(By marriage).

My sister-in-law, a couple of years ago, was beside herself trying to figure out how to get him out of the house.  I suggested a set of golf clubs.

We live about 600 miles away, and last summer they spent a week with us, and he wanted me to take him out for a round of golf.

The golf went about the way I figured it would. Every swing was an aw -hit, followed by an apology, and lots of down time looking for his ball in the woods.  

When we got back, sat on the deck with a few beers, and he continued apologizing for his golf game.  

He showed up on the first tee wearing plaid shorts, black socks, and brown shoes.  I resisted the temptation to say, "forget the golf part, you owe me an apology for all the brother-in-law cracks I'm going to hear from some of the clowns that I play with on a regular basis".  (We played on my home course).

Before they left, I suggested he take a few lessons from a golf pro and spend a lot of time on the driving range, and he'd eventually enjoy the game a lot more.

I sent him an E-mail about a week ago, asking about his progress.

His answer:  "I've given up on golf, but we're thinking of coming up the latter part of October,
and maybe you could teach me how to "fly-fish".

Anybody on the board that may be interested in a home in the No.Calif. Sierras, I wll let you have it cheap, as long as we close escrow by the 15th. of October :D

Jarhead

Jarhead,

That is too funny. Good luck!

Dreamer

PS. I took golf lessons through the local university last fall. I was totally shocked at how hard golf is-it looks so easy. Some of us are so naive!

Skirt here.  ::)

I admit I have wondered about this issue for years.  Just never thought to post it as a discussion topic.

I think SteveR had the most practical explanation. But I really believe these guys could go out and BUY some pants that fit better.

SO and I often see "oldness" examples out there like this, and look at each other saying, "Shoot me if I ever start doing that." 

LOL at the MomJeans, another thing to add to the Not To Do List.  Currently it includes comfortable shoes that look comfortable orthopaedic, poofy sprayed hair, sweatshirts with pictures painted on them,  plucking then drawing back the eyebrows, inch-long chin and neck hairs...   

Sheryl said:
Skirt here.  ::)

... inch-long chin and neck hairs...   

These head and neck hairs can be pesky. I have a black one growing out the top of my ear. Hate it when I forget to do a weekly check and I notice it when I happen to glance in a mirror away from my tonsorial tools.

Ha

My right antitragus spawns a gray wire (hair) but only one. I rip it out once a month.

I'm in the midst of damage control, the lady at the condo front desk said I looked like Elaine's boss on Seinfeld. Please shoot me, help. Rhetorically, have I sunk that fast?

Sheryl said:
But I really believe these guys could go out and BUY some pants that fit better.

Come on...men will wear underwear until all thats left is the waistband, then use it as a headband for another decade or two. Pants?!? Forget it!

That's a nice fish! I never was able to "get mounted" by hanging in bars. It was not for lack of trying. :)

JG

Dreamer said:
Jarhead,

That is too funny.  Good luck!

Dreamer

PS.  I took golf lessons through the local university last fall.  I was totally shocked at how hard golf is-it looks so easy.  Some of us are so naive

Dreamer: Good for you. Hope you continue your "golf education" and get as much pleasure as I have had over the 40 years or so that I've been playing.

I've been involved with athletics, both as a player and a coach most of my life, and you're right. (Golf aint easy) ;) A good description that I heard years ago was that "Nobody masters Golf, we all just have varying degrees of incompetence".

In any case, give it a chance, find your own level of incompetence, and you'll have a life-long friend.

Regards, Jarhead

ex-Jarhead said:
Dreamer:  Good for you.  Hope you continue your "golf education" and get as much pleasure as I have had over the 40 years or so that I've been playing.

I've been involved with athletics, both as a player and a coach most of my life, and you're right.  (Golf aint easy) ;)  A good description that I heard years ago was that "Nobody masters Golf, we all just have varying degrees of incompetence". 

In any case, give it a chance, find your own level of incompetence, and you'll have a life-long friend.

Regards, Jarhead

I love golf. Love it! Have not played since 1975. Not enough hours
to work it into my day.

JG

Back
Top Bottom