Why now?

We haven't retired yet. But today, much less the day we are able to walk out the door with our heads held high, we'll have "enough" money; in fact, most would say "more than enough." No amount of money (within two standard deviations of "reasonable") would be enough to draw either of us back into the 10-14 hour M-F and requisite Sat/Sunday workdays (and my big trial prep months and DW's on-call nights/weekends...).

You made your decision to ER. What has changed? (Disclosure, if we received an obscene offer next year that would enable private jet charters for the rest of our lives, we might delay retirement, but other than that ....)

I retired 12 years ago at age 50. Like you, I had saved up enough and was financially independent when I decided to leave the workforce. Been single all my life, so no dependents relying on me, which made it easier. (On the down side, I also had no "safety net" in the form of an income-earning spouse.)

As I reflect back on the last 12 years, I realize how important time is and how limited. The time goes by so fast, it is scary. I had many chances to go back to work, but didn't because the personal freedom that retirement allows is priceless. I don't know how old you are, but I see a lot of people dying pretty "young" in their 60's and early 70's. Never know when your time is up. Enjoy it while you are still young enough and healthy enough to enjoy life. So many didn't save up (or had some other unfortunate financial situation) and have to work until they drop. So sad. You are one of the lucky ones.

The book What Happy People Know has some good thoughts. The author works with stressed out guests at The Canyon Ranch spa. He said they all say just a little more money will make them happy - but they all say it no matter how much money they have! From an interview with the author:

"There are five things people think money can buy: a life of leisure, status, possessions, financial security, and wordly power. But look at the reality. One of the main ways millionaires gain their wealth is by sacrificing their leisure and freedom."

5 Things Happy People Know | Prevention

Thanks Walt. The other question of course is "for how long". In other words if I did it at this point when can I ER again? It would not make sense to go do it with the plan to bounce in 1-2 years.
If you would really like to try it but would like the option to back out after a year or two respond with, "Wow, I would love to do that, but I have plans that require me to retire in a year or two at the most so it wouldn't be fair to accept." Maybe they will come back with, "that's fine, give it a shot."

Yup, you may be done.

But your sig says otherwise and that hair looks expensive.

Decisions, decisions....

Lol yep I think that sig has timed out.
Need a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

It seems like people forget the 'I' in FI - If you truly are independent, you don't 'need' any outside source of money to do any and every thing you really want to do. If you do, in fact, need this money so bad that you're willing to exchange a few years of your life for it, then you're not actually independent yet. If you're just bored, then you might not be the type of person who should attempt to retire early. IMHO no truly F-I-R-E person would ever consider going back to a j-o-b unless it was an insane compensation, didn't involve physically being in an office, and had a defined, limited duration.

I retired 12 years ago at age 50. Like you, I had saved up enough and was financially independent when I decided to leave the workforce. Been single all my life, so no dependents relying on me, which made it easier. (On the down side, I also had no "safety net" in the form of an income-earning spouse.)

As I reflect back on the last 12 years, I realize how important time is and how limited. The time goes by so fast, it is scary. I had many chances to go back to work, but didn't because the personal freedom that retirement allows is priceless. I don't know how old you are, but I see a lot of people dying pretty "young" in their 60's and early 70's. Never know when your time is up. Enjoy it while you are still young enough and healthy enough to enjoy life. So many didn't save up (or had some other unfortunate financial situation) and have to work until they drop. So sad. You are one of the lucky ones.

Really good points.

Thanks for taking the time to write.

It seems like people forget the 'I' in FI - If you truly are independent, you don't 'need' any outside source of money to do any and every thing you really want to do. If you do, in fact, need this money so bad that you're willing to exchange a few years of your life for it, then you're not actually independent yet. If you're just bored, then you might not be the type of person who should attempt to retire early. IMHO no truly F-I-R-E person would ever consider going back to a j-o-b unless it was an insane compensation, didn't involve physically being in an office, and had a defined, limited duration.

Excellent points- and yes I'm FI so it's clear that I need to figure out why I'm even considering this.
You also gave me an idea- if I decide I'm on the side of trying that I tell them I will do 6 months and they can bring me in as a consultant via an external placing firm rather than an actual employee.
That way if I decide I was insane to even consider it there is an end date for the company and me.

The book What Happy People Know has some good thoughts. The author works with stressed out guests at The Canyon Ranch spa. He said they all say just a little more money will make them happy - but they all say it no matter how much money they have! From an interview with the author:

"There are five things people think money can buy: a life of leisure, status, possessions, financial security, and wordly power. But look at the reality. One of the main ways millionaires gain their wealth is by sacrificing their leisure and freedom."

5 Things Happy People Know | Prevention

Yikes lots of truth to that. Thanks.

Don't do it! IMO, if you have enough $ to retire, there is no point to go back to work unless you find a job that you enjoy more than your free time away from work.

Some how I found my niche - the work is diverse, challenging and Autonomous. Oh there's always a bit of bureaucracy (BS) but it is manageable. Yes there is the god awful city I work in but now I've negotiated 2 days a week from home. I am well compensated and because we have no debt what I earn seems all the more. The pile grows at an astonishing amount each month. It will be difficult to change from the accumulation phase to the spend phase. In the end it is just a job.

My new knee is a godsend because it allows me to garden but more importantly it reminds me each day of my mortality. I've taken to sitting outside in a lawn chair, dog at my feet, just enjoying the fresh air and sunshine.

You and I won't live forever - the sunshine beckons.....

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

...if I decide I'm on the side of trying that I tell them I will do 6 months and they can bring me in as a consultant via an external placing firm rather than an actual employee.
That way if I decide I was insane to even consider it there is an end date for the company and me.

I was going to suggest something similar to this but without the addition of the external firm: I was thinking of something along the lines of having the word Interim added to whatever title/job-description you are considering with a contracted date for both parties to reevaluate.

It sounds like they think you are perfect for the position; so, even if you are only there for a short time, you could likely add significant value in recruiting and on-boarding someone similar to yourself among other things. Alternately, if all stars align for both you and them, you could have the Interim removed.

Honestly, if your current hair is a stumbling block, I would not be at all interested in the company myself. It is beautiful and only a bit unconventional.

Please let us know where you land on this.

I would because I'm hyper responsible and easily moved to take on more than I should. Never really did well at setting boundaries at w&$@.

So what were the reasons you retired in the first place? Would those reasons still apply if you went back to working with the seam intensity, or is there something about this job that you think would be different from your prior one?

Why would doing it for 2 years not be acceptable? I work in High stress, lower level executive position, and know that if it benefited the company for me to be gone in 1-2 years... BAM!

In my opinion, works both ways.

So I'm enamored with the money, the excitement, all that rot, but I also realize I would be back in the rat race with zero free time on the weekdays, etc.
Weekdays? Only weekdays?

They want your weekends, your nights, your 24/7 time too. The rot has gotten worse.

Irishgal I think you know. I understand the initial excitement, something similar happened to me as I started at Megacorp. My old job wanted to pay me twice what I'd made there to run a second shift for them. I was tempted, but I wanted to spend the time learning my new trade. So it wasn't good for me long term.

After months of retirement you have the taste of what it means to enjoy the non-work life. I was thinking as I read the thread of what it might be like to go back and it'd be like lighting my hair on fire. Sure wouldn't want to do that to your great hair! Don't go.

So here I am, ER since June this year, happy as a clam.
Then I get a call from someone I w&@ked with years ago who is now with a well known and exciting tech type company. They have a position that 10 years ago, maybe even 5 years ago I would have died for.

And essentially, it's mine if I want it.

So I'm enamored with the money, the excitement, all that rot, but I also realize I would be back in the rat race with zero free time on the weekdays, etc.

Has anyone else been faced with this? I'm making a pros and cons list now but would love feedback!
I am there. I can tell you exactly what's in store.

In 2015 I was working from home, and very secure with just 3 months work. That would plug the need to draw any retirement money.

Late 2015 I was lured into working for a small company. Manager was super, gave me the money I asked for. I took the position as it would fully fund home repairs that we need to sell the house. That is our goal, and I hope to do this for two years.

Having a net positive flow is awesome.

Working with younger people in a growing small business is light years ahead of dying megacorp service company with layers of muck.

Going to work each day was exciting for about 6 months. The area is a fine environment. I can walk to the customer's office, say hello to the groundhogs, and grab a bite to eat.

Eventually, it becomes a job. This recently happened for me. I am on my 3rd boss. I am getting pulled into aspects of the job I did not agree to. I am wearing 4 or 5 hats. I gave 3 back to my boss, then the customer added another. Really?

I'm taking it in stride. Working from home at least one day a week, and trying to always be off on Friday. Doing whatever I can to make it fun again.

Keep in mind you can go in and perform like a pro. Then start reducing time in the office. You can always quit!

Wow. So many great responses that have really helped me develop a better perspective and understand (which was rather painful) why my initial reaction was to say yes.

Does it have to be an all or nothing? Is there an option for a short term consulting gig with a definite end-date? I think that's worth exploring.

If this opportunity wasn't enticing, you wouldn't have brought it up.

Just to chime in from an options perspective.

Since you are FI, you can walk away whenever you want. So what's the harm in trying if you are not sure?

Saying no means the opportunity is gone forever. Saying yes still gives you the 'no' as an option whenever you want.

Back
Top Bottom