Windows 10

Reserved Win10 for an 8.1 laptop. I don't use the laptop much so I will probably switch to 10 soon. Might as well see what's up.

Could not upgrade in Virtualbox due to it complaining about the video driver.

I run Windows 8.1 on my Mac, on its own volume natively in Boot Camp and virtually through VMWare Fusion. But yeah, the upgrade advisor to reserve a copy said the video driver used by VMWare is incompatible. (We think it is but it isn't signed as such. Both VMWare and Microsoft have seemed to point fingers at each other.)

Interestingly, we have a vintage 2005 Toshiba laptop running Windows 7 (it shipped with XP) which is said to be compatible with 10. I doubt I'll do it, especially if reports indicate that 10 is a performance hit compared to 7. But I'm surprised that any Windows-based laptop that is over 10 years old would still be able to meet the minimum requirements for running a brand new Windows OS.

Could not upgrade in Virtualbox due to it complaining about the video driver.

I tried to load the DVD/.iso file for the Windows 10 Technical Preview onto VirtualBox (32 bit W7 host) without success. It either hung at the blue flag screen or proceeded to an error message screen depending on the state of one of the acceleration flags in the VirtualBox configuration.

I guess I will try one of the official releases when they become available.

FWIW, the host machine was a 4G Dell D630 laptop.

-gauss

I've been using 8.1 on a tablet, and it works pretty well - I can 'tablet' all I want, but when I need a desktop... I'm typing this on an extended desktop on a 24" monitor connected to the tablet, Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. This kit cut my travel backpack weight by 3 pounds, don't have to carry the laptop and charger.

I am chagrined to say that IE11 is the best tablet browser I've used yet. Hope they don't screw that up in Win10.

I've set up for the Win10 upgrade on it; curious to see how it'll go. A little concerned it'll set me back, but we'll see...

I tried to load the DVD/.iso file for the Windows 10 Technical Preview onto VirtualBox (32 bit W7 host) without success. It either hung at the blue flag screen or proceeded to an error message screen depending on the state of one of the acceleration flags in the VirtualBox configuration.

I guess I will try one of the official releases when they become available.

FWIW, the host machine was a 4G Dell D630 laptop.

-gauss
I was able to run the build 10240 in Virtualbox. This is the unofficial ISO, RTM build. No way to activate it, but it runs.

Success!

I was able to run the build 10240 in Virtualbox. This is the unofficial ISO, RTM build. No way to activate it, but it runs.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I actually got it working this morning. The problem was that although the processor in my Dell Latitude D630 laptop did support the VT-x visualization/acceleration extensions, Virtualbox could not see it. I tried to enable it in the BIOS, but could not find any reference to it there.

As it turns out, you need to get the Dell enterprise configuration tool known as CCTK as described at this blog.

Once I made the changes to the virtualization parameter AND rebooted then Virtualbox for me displayed the VT-x enabled and booting W10 iso made it beyond the blue flag screen.

-gauss

Last edited:
If I have Windows 7 Professional, and have it set for automatic updates- does Windows 10 automatically load?? I have decided I do not want 10 at this time, but will continue with 7 for the time being. Have changed my settings for now to shut off auto updates, but anyone see anything definitive on this?

I downloaded the Windows 10 Insider Preview (x64) - Build 10130 and this is my first impression. I am running it in Virtualbox using Ubuntu.

Incredibly ugly. No transparencies, color gradients, 3d looks, colors, no borders on windows. Everything is flat and boring looking. The start menu is loaded with crap on the side that no one will use. Apps like Bing, News, Weather and Maps that are useless and annoying. Looks like made for 1992.

They should have just kept Windows 7 and updated it.

=====================
That's very interesting Jim. I am on the fence, too.

There is always an angle. In another thread someone mentioned the possibility of a subscription fee for updates after a couple years for Win 10. To me, that seems logical. How is Microsoft going to make anything off this free bee otherwise? I paid for Win 7 and get free updates. I like Win 7. I like the Media Player, which from what I read Win 10 does not have. I reserved Win 10, but I think I will hold out for quite a while to see how this develops.
[SIZE=+1]
[/SIZE]"In order to understand any human situation: "Look for where the profit lies."

If I have Windows 7 Professional, and have it set for automatic updates- does Windows 10 automatically load?? I have decided I do not want 10 at this time, but will continue with 7 for the time being. Have changed my settings for now to shut off auto updates, but anyone see anything definitive on this?

I don't have the reference handy, but there is or was a process you have to go through to get 10 downloaded and installed. Something you get in auto updates puts an icon in your system bar (lower right of screen) and then you have to click on it to set to update to 10. I'm running 8.1 on a surface RT and it won't be available for awhile for the RT platform, so I've not seen it in practice, but you should have it in sys tray already.

Thanks for the reminder. I signed up for it too, so I'm backing things up now, just in case.

I find that the laptop I've had for the last two and a half years (Asus X54C with I3 processor, 6 Gig Ram and 500 Gig HD) works just fine with Win 7, boots up fast ~ 40 sec, never crashes, every program I regularly use runs quickly and with no problems. What would be the advantage for installing WIN 10 for me?

This icon in your systray is what you click to request the upgrade.

windows10.jpg

If you qualify it will download Windows 10 when available, then notify you the upgrade is ready. It's up to you when/if to upgrade.

I find that the laptop I've had for the last two and a half years (Asus X54C with I3 processor, 6 Gig Ram and 500 Gig HD) works just fine with Win 7, boots up fast ~ 40 sec, never crashes, every program I regularly use runs quickly and with no problems. What would be the advantage for installing WIN 10 for me?
The issue becomes do you anticipate using the laptop after Jan 2020 when extended support i.e. security bug fixes ends? If so then upgrade, but seeing that the machine will be 8 years old then, it seems a bit unlikely that you will.

That may be the issue as MS only says it will support platforms while they are still in their life cycle. In my experience laptops last 3-5 years before either the battery or the disk goes out. At that point one then needs as with many things to fix or replace.

The issue becomes do you anticipate using the laptop after Jan 2020 when extended support i.e. security bug fixes ends? If so then upgrade, but seeing that the machine will be 8 years old then, it seems a bit unlikely that you will.

That may be the issue as MS only says it will support platforms while they are still in their life cycle. In my experience laptops last 3-5 years before either the battery or the disk goes out. At that point one then needs as with many things to fix or replace.
Thank you. Very tempted to leave well enough alone and stick to Win 7 on this machine. After all, I think that OP system is what it was designed/optimized for.

Tonight's the night...
Windows 10 might already be downloading on your Windows 7 and 8 PCs | The Verge

Info on the process.
I've received some large downloads from Windows update lately, but nothing in the file mentioned here, from the cited article:
In less than 24 hours, Microsoft will start upgrading Windows 7 and Windows 8 machines to Windows 10. The software giant is preparing for this big release, at 12AM ET on July 29th (9PM PST on July 28th), by pre-loading the final version of Windows 10 on PCs eligible for the upgrade. A number of Windows 7 and Windows 8 users who have registered for the upgrade have started noticing that the full installer files for Windows 10 have been downloaded to C:\$windows.~BT as Microsoft gets ready for release.
...more

I just watched 5.94 GB fill up my hidden $Windows.~BT folder. So excited.

My little Get Windows icon says I will be notified when the update is ready, as it has since I signed up for the update from my Windows 8.1 system. I don't think I've ever had a full OS update to a new version so curious about how it will work.

Apple should have a Windows 10 discount day today--10 percent off its Macs and Macbooks for Windows owners.

My SO got the notification a little over a hour ago and we are in the process of upgrading her win 7 laptop. Fingers crossed!

Windows 10 set up ok on one computer... Now to try and figure out how to use it.

On a second computer, not so good. Has problem finding space, though I have plenty. Did an sfc/scannow and it says it found files it can't fix. Looks like a long nightmare of fixes that don't work.

On DW's computer... not going to install until I can figure out how to use it.

One thing that comes up early is the "Microsoft Store"... :)

Will advise.

Last edited:
Mossberg was on CNBC saying it's definitely worth upgrading to, but wait for some bugs to be fixed first.

Some of the features they show in the commercial, like the ability to log in via face or retina recognition, requires certain types of webcams and Cortana may not work well with some types of microphones.

So far, everything Ok . Been busy with other things but she has used it 30-45 minutes on internet and e-mail,zero problems(so far).Installed in about 1 1/2 hours with no hitches.

not too happy... as an old dog, new tricks aren't easy.
I don't like the interface... seems like they tried to satisfy everybody. My guess is it was designed for mobile.
They say the start menu is back, but as yet, I haven't figured it out. Seems like you have to "scroll" through hundreds of files.
Microsoft has definitely designed it for Microsoft. Changing over to Gmail, Chrome and the Google stuff hasn't been easy for me.
yeah... I'm biased... using three different computers and two operating systems wasn't a good idea for this puppy.
YMMV... don't let this turn you away... watch for more and different "takes".

Maybe using it on phones will make it worthwhile.

Will struggle and see how it feels in a few days. :(

Last edited:
Glad you volunteered to be guinea pig, good luck!

So, on two of my computers, I was prepared to get Windows 10.
The first went ok, but for whatever reason, the install on the second computer, got as far as downloading the install, and came up with the "cannot proceed" problem. The next thing was "wait... while unloading the files".

From there... when I boot the computer, it basically stalls, for about 3 minutes while it is automatically downloading the same original install files, to try again. Same result... I had to go to msconfig to remove the "startup" of Microsoft download.

So the problem for me, was the original error shown during the install. Since Microsoft was able to show this error code, you'd think they would have some kind of solution. Here's the google search page that I received when inputting the error code.

https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&site=&source=hp&q=we+couldn%27t+update+the+system+reserved+partition+windows+10&oq=we+couldn%27t+update+th&gs_l=hp.1.1.0l3.4268.14638.0.19773.23.23.0.0.0.0.875.2739.10j3j1j0j1j0j1.16.0..2..0...1.1.64.hp..8.15.2335.0.o1tfhms0YkQ

With some 60,000 "hits" on Google, am guessing I'm not alone.

I would have expected some kind of Microsoft solution, but the few that were shown had no reference to the current problem. The rest of the solutions involved so many steps that I couldn't follow them.

The good?... At least I didn't get a corrupted Windows 10 on the second computer... The bad? Now I have to deal with learning two different interfaces. At my age, one was enough.

I didn't see any way of reinstalling Windows 7, so I'm stuck, unless I do a complete reinstall... Not worth it.

So... I'm guessing that 99% of all installs will be ok, but as part of the 1%... not so good. If I were to do it over again, I'd wait for a few weeks, as many of y'all are doing.

If anyone "should" have the same problem, here's the suggested "fix".
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ok6Tun1BpdUzsZjdz-LTVmd2F2_EuS5x9HDglMuKeD4/edit?usp=sharing

Good luck!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom