Windows 10

Perhhaps there should be a linux thread.

At my age and with 7 different computers,I have no intention of changing over or learning a new system.

The subject is Windows 10...

Perhaps, but if you think about it, moving from one version of Windows to another version of Windows is learning a new system (to a degree). One of the advantages I have had with Linux is, with each upgrade it was easy for me to configure everything pretty much the same as it was. I could take my time trying out new set ups to see if they were better for the way I work.

I agree the linux stuff should not overwhelm this thread, but it's maybe a good way for Windows types to get some exposure to linux from people they 'know'. They are unlikely to read a linux-only thread.

-ERD50

Just downloaded and upgraded to W10 yesterday. The download is huge and it took a coupe of hours to pull it down from Microsoft over a 3 meg DSL. Took almost another hour for the computer to overlay the new OS over W8.1 but everything worked as advertised (at this point).... So far I like it a lot better than W8. Seems to be as intuitive to use as W7 was. Also, downloaded the latest version of Firefox. Not a problem to use on W10.

Last edited:
How to opt out of W10 default "spying" settings.
"First, you’ll want to open Settings and click on Privacy. There, you’ll find 13 different screens — yes, 13 — to go through, and you’ll want to disable anything that seems worrying...."
I configured most (maybe all) of them when I went through the upgrade from W8 to W10 yesterday. The install upgrade/process asked many/most of these "security/privacy" related questions and most were intuitive. I just checked them again in the privacy settings and they all seemed to be set like I selected. Of course who really knows if they work as presented.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I have been playing around on it. Once it gets configured and the display is set better it is not that bad. I hated Windows 8 since I didn't need touch ability on a desktop. Seems very responsive. SSD makes it blazing.

As far as trusting the privacy settings, I have a hard time trusting MS.

I have now ungraded three computers to W10. One six month old Dell Desktop, One six year old HP laptop, and a two year old Dell Venue 8 pro. All three upgrades went as advertised, except the Dell Venue. The Venue did not have sound or microphone. I went to the Dell site and a Bios flash and Chipset upgrade was suggested. It took about ten minutes. While all is working, Cortana is not working with the microphone. As I don't use it, I don't see as it is a big deal.

This thread is really helpful. I am getting used to 10 and may keep it after all. I found the old Windows Media Player which I like. Also found the Old Windows Photo Viewer. Thanks for the heads up Birdie on the security settings. I turned most of mine off.

How to opt out of W10 default "spying" settings.
"First, you’ll want to open Settings and click on Privacy. There, you’ll find 13 different screens — yes, 13 — to go through, and you’ll want to disable anything that seems worrying...."
So aside from using your bandwidth without your permission, and harvesting your data for nefarious reasons, and once again forcing you to use their new Edge browser without your permission, have you found anything really bad about MS Win10?

You might want to also read Windows 10: Microsoft under attack over privacy
and Windows 10 Is Spying On You
and Windows 10's New Feature Steals Your Internet Bandwidth!

There is some duplication here but better to be safe than sorry. Maybe some enterprising techie will invent an automatic procedure?

Some of the opt out of focused advertising is on another web site. I had 69 companies that were opted in by default to send me focused ads. It was not entirely obvious how to find the opt out page.

MS is clearly setting up users for a ton of advertising via Bing. I am not going to use Bing and shut off Cortana. I also opted out of a lot of stuff under Settings, Privacy.

Rolling back to Win 7 may be a better solution rather than play around with this advertising machine MS has "given" us.

You might want to also read Windows 10: Microsoft under attack over privacy
and Windows 10 Is Spying On You
and Windows 10's New Feature Steals Your Internet Bandwidth!

There is some duplication here but better to be safe than sorry. Maybe some enterprising techie will invent an automatic procedure?
That second link was useful, and I followed Point #3 to turn off more spying stuff on the linked MS page:
3. This is the crucial one, and so fundamental to Windows 10’s tracking that Microsoft have stuck the setting on an external website, which they say is so that it’s on one easy dashboard, but I find it hard not to wonder if it’s in the hope that we don’t easily stumble across it while browsing Windows 10’s own Privacy menus. Said website is colourful and cheerful and can play a video at you talking about how wonderful targeted advertising is. Ignore the bumf and instead go directly here and set both options to Off. It’s the innocuous-sounding “Personalised ads wherever I use my Microsoft account” which is the likely root of all this, because having that on means Windows 10 itself becomes a hub for targeted ads. You’ll probably have set up Windows 10 with a Microsoft account, because it heavily encourages you to do so with talk of synchronised files and settings and a OneDrive cloud account during installation, but this means the OS is signed into that account all the time. As a result, Windows 10 itself has it spyglasses on, not just apps or pages that you’re signed into with your MS account.

Sounds like MS is taking a page out of Facebook. Spyers are gonna spy, spy, spy. :facepalm:

Hopefully, turning off the spying isn't as cumbersome as FB leaving to not know how much info is really leaking out.

Sounds like MS is taking a page out of Facebook. Spyers are gonna spy, spy, spy. :facepalm:

Hopefully, turning off the spying isn't as cumbersome as FB leaving to not know how much info is really leaking out.
Didn't MS pioneer the concept of snooping and writing files on user's computers without permission or knowledge back in the early days of Windows?

One of the previous releases had media playback software which would phone home and report what you watched or listened without explicit opt in.

There was huge blowback and MS retreated.

But sounds like they're trying again.

So aside from using your bandwidth without your permission, and harvesting your data for nefarious reasons, and once again forcing you to use their new Edge browser without your permission, have you found anything really bad about MS Win10?

I installed W10 on one of my computers so still learning. They will take a lot of heat for selecting by default to allow your PC to send updates at ALL other PC's. I do kind of like the option of being able to send updates to only computers on your local network. The Windows Edge browser default wasn't an issue, the first browser I opened was Firefox and it immediately asked me if I wanted to make it the default browser.

Right, and Mint has become very popular. I looked at it before upgrading from 12.04 to 14.04, I liked it but there were a few things I liked about the Xubuntu release better, so I went with Xubuntu. I'll probably take another look at Mint before I go from 14.04 LTS (Long Term Release) to 16.04 LTS.

-ERD50

Thank you ERD50 for suggesting Xubuntu. I got it to run on an ancient 40GB hard drive that I pulled from an old computer that I took to the dump many years ago. I've always pulled the HD from discard computers since I am concerned about not being able to completely erase the data in them.

I put the old hard drive into a cheap HD enclosure with a USB connector and I installed Xubuntu to boot up from that drive. It's great! and fast! I just started with this Linux stuff a few weeks ago but it's so much fun! APOLOGIES TO IMOLDERNU I just couldn't help it... Now back to the regular Windows 10 programming...

Some of the opt out of focused advertising is on another web site. I had 69 companies that were opted in by default to send me focused ads. It was not entirely obvious how to find the opt out page.

MS is clearly setting up users for a ton of advertising via Bing. I am not going to use Bing and shut off Cortana. I also opted out of a lot of stuff under Settings, Privacy.

Rolling back to Win 7 may be a better solution rather than play around with this advertising machine MS has "given" us.

Actually I think you can control this in the setups you select at configuration time AND by going to setup after you have configured to finish making choices. That means looking at every section of setup. Takes 10 minutes max.

Then, go to Start/All Programs, and look at all the cr*pw*re your computer maker asked MS to install for you with the new OS. The good news is you can right-click on most of it and are offered an 'uninstall' option. If it can't 'uninstall' because it may have been added before you converted, Windows takes you directly to the Add/Change Programs function from Windows 7.

I have other questions/concerns, but I have more reading to do. Then I'll be back to post them.

Thanks to imolderthanu for the comprehensive link. I need to spend some time with it as well.

Oh? How did conversion go? About an hour and 45 minutes with no problems. I did not force this conversion, but registered and waited until I was notified it was ready.

- Rita

Perhhaps there should be a linux thread.

At my age and with 7 different computers,I have no intention of changing over or learning a new system.

The subject is Windows 10... not how dumb some of us are...

:cool:
I like having a few Linux posts mixed in. Lets me see how some of the users are doing with it. I used to run a couple of Linux servers but always keep a Windows PC as my main family computer. I dumped the servers when I abandoned my family web site and haven't tried Linux since - I never actually used any of the standard desktop apps. When I replace my current Windows desktop I may switch the old box to Ubuntu to check how the Linux desktop is coming along compared to Win10..

I upgraded my win 7 home premium desktop to 10 without a hitch and everything works as before.

I run Xubuntu on 2 older laptops which are mainly used for email and web surfing.

And I will retain windows 7 on my HTPC because my wife likes the simplicity and ease of use of windows media center for its recording features.

It is encouraging to read of all the successful upgrading experiences. I am [-]looking forward to upgrading to Windows 10[/-] simply DYING to upgrade to Windows 10.

With my old house (prior home) under contract and closing to take place very soon, the e-mails are flying and of course, so much is provided in PDF these days. So, I really can't afford a few hours with no computer this week or next, and must reluctantly wait until after the act of sale to upgrade.

Meanwhile, I am enjoying reading about all the privacy issues and precautions, and about all the positive experiences too. :D

I also had my laptop password changed about 5 days after installing Windows 10 and had to reset it since none of my usual passwords worked. I was able to restore MS Money after following the fix listed in this thread, but now my printer is not working. I assume I need to find a new print driver online and install it. That is next on my list.

Mostly Windows 10 is working well, just a few annoying glitches.

I was using Classic Shell with Windows 8.1 but now have gone to Win 10 and the Shell is fine. I did go into my WiFi settings and turned off the 2 boxes for sharing.....

Last edited:
Have you thought about the overall effect Microsoft's release of Windows 10 could have on the Giant Google?

Why Mirosoft Windows 10 Users May Never Use Google Again

In my limited time using Windows 10 I don't see it having any impact on my use of Google, maybe old habits die hard. I find the W10 search bar very helpful in finding things on my computer but don't see myself using it as an Internet search engine.

Back
Top Bottom