Wirecutter

f35phixer

Full time employment: Posting here.
Have always used Wirecutter as a product review/research site when looking to but something. NYT had bought them recently, went on today to research Gas detector/Smoke detector to buy for friend who moved into new condos with gas fireplace and doesn't have one....

Whelp, now you have to have an account to see their product reviews.

Might be a bye bye Wirecutter. Have to think about this !

Last edited:
I think they're part of the NYT, not WSJ?

You can make a free account though, it doesn't require a subscription.

yup, fixed....

i know its free, But!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do like the reviews, i'm sure i will get an account some day ;-)

I can see the product reviews without an account.

I can see the product reviews without an account.

interesting, tried and couldn't without being blocked, went ahead and used my @gmail account and now am good to go.

You could go and delete this thread if you want MODs...

cool with that.

interesting, tried and couldn't without being blocked, went ahead and used my @gmail account and now am good to go.

You could go and delete this thread if you want MODs...

cool with that.

Glad this was resolved for you.

I use "The Old Reader" as a RSS Feed Reader (https://theoldreader.com/pages/tour) and check every morning, This keeps me up to date (the minute?) for websites such as Wirecutter.

I have a subscription to the NYT but don't believe that was/is a requirement.

Anyway, the current Wirecutter RSS Feed can be found here - Wirecutter: Reviews for the Real World

This is, also, how I get the latest posts on this Forum.

(https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/external.php?type=RSS2)
The URL does need a RSS Reader.

Last edited:
I am not a big fan of Wirecutter reviews. While better than nothing, they often come up short in terms of research. They will often say something like "I spent 49 hours with the 8 products for this report." So? That tells me nothing about the quality of testing and the objectivity of the reviewer.

My advice is to get a subscription to Consumer Reports. Or get the issue that covers your purchase from the public library.

I am not a big fan of Wirecutter reviews. While better than nothing, they often come up short in terms of research. They will often say something like "I spent 49 hours with the 8 products for this report." So? That tells me nothing about the quality of testing and the objectivity of the reviewer.

My advice is to get a subscription to Consumer Reports. Or get the issue that covers your purchase from the public library.

understand, reviews always taken with a grain of salt.

I agree but I've found the most productive Reviews are those that are a Google search for "<specific item> reviews." Then use the one(s) that go from Box Opening through "how to" of each feature. The best ones are those that take the place of the Owner's Manual.

Back
Top Bottom