Wireless Rear Channel Speakers

paradiseken

Recycles dryer sheets
Hey Folks! Anyone out there had experience with wireless rear surround sound speakers? I need to put in a surround system and hate to have to run speaker wire through my ceiling and walls. I know there are a few pretty good systems out there, but if they are more trouble than they are worth, I guess I'll bite the bullet and run the wires. Thanks.

paradiseken said:
Hey Folks! Anyone out there had experience with wireless rear surround sound speakers? I need to put in a surround system and hate to have to run speaker wire through my ceiling and walls.
The heck with the ceilings & walls, I want one that eliminates having to decode the wiring between the dashboard and the trunk... sorry I can't help.

I have not found any wireless "just speakers" sounding good.
There are some sophisticated digital systems, but they are pricey and needing at least need power supply.
So for the task I was assigned (DW requested music through the 1st floor & on the deck) I just bit the bullet, bought one of these 6 ft bendable drill bits and pulled the wires through the house.
If the distance is not that great you might consider paintable flat speaker wires ( like these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300049790318 ) or routing wires behind trim pieces if possible.

i also enjoy the surround sound effect for my movies. while cut throat is right 95% of the sound is from the front and it should be as high a quality as you can get the fact is that extra 5% adds a whole other dimension when set up properly. most of the time when you hear a 5 channel setup the front are crappy and the rear toooooooooo loud. but when done right being immersed in a pool of sound just makes everything so much more dramatic.

i havent heard any wireless that sound or integrate well. for good results the rear should be very close in tonality to the fronts.

Thanks for all the great feedback. I think I'll pass on the wireless and go conventional (wired). Maybe I'll get wired myself! :D :D

CT, I remember Quadrophonic (ugh!). Now, would your 30K system include any McIntosh components? I remember that was really high-end.

sailor, thanks for the flat wire link. I'll check it out.

mathjak107, thanks for the advice about 5-channel.

NORDS, go back to floating your boat (sub):D :D.

Have a great day everyone!

Cut-Throat said:
I would question the 'need' thing. I am an audiophile and listen to movies with a great 2 channel system and sub-woofer (which can be placed anywhere.)

People that have spent a lot on 5 channel systems watch movies at my place on 2 channel and all admit that my system sounds much more realistic and is preferrable to their 5 channel system. 5 cheap speakers usually sound worse than 2 cheap speakers!

My advice is to upgrade your 2 channel system and forget 5 channel. Remember Quadrophonic in the early 70's? - I just built a $30K entertainment wall last winter - For Stereo! - Stereo has stood the test of time for over 50 years. Whenever I walk into a 'demo' room for Home theater - The sound I hear is mostly annoying.

So put your money into 2 great Front Speakers - The most bang for your buck! - Buy a moderately priced amplified Sub-woofer - and don't over hype the Bass like the Home Theater demo rooms. Then get a great integrated Amplifier to match speakers - If you want to go all out "get a tube intergrated amp. Plug in your DVD player and you are all set!

I normally agree with cut-throat, but i'm going to have to disagree with you this time; well sort of.

A movie audiophile, you could also say by definition, has at least a 5.1 setup. But one that's completely up to date has 6.1 or 7.1. Now cut-throat is right; given a choice between a HTIB (home theatre in a box) vs. 2 wonderful main speakers, sure the 2 main speakers is preferable, especially given the "soundfield" processing of good receivers that can simulate rear sound. However, cut-throat left out choice C.; 5 great speakers and one great sub.

You dont have to spend a fortune on "great" speakers, but they aren't exactly cheap either. I personally use Ascend Acoustics (www.ascendacoustics.com) (5 speakers) and a HSU sub. A total package costing about $1500, and my receiver is another $350 (a Harmon Kardon). Yeah that's a bit of cash, but great speakers can last for years so they're more like an investment, and they wont go out of date within 2-3 years like a PC.

Running Dolby Digital or DTS on good 5.1 speakers in a movie is going to blow away just 2 speakers. I have switched, for the sake of argument, to 2 channel processing (momentarily) just to confirm that.

To answer the OP, i use "wire channels" that stick to the wall at the bottom. You attach them with a adhesive backing, and the you stick the wires insides the protective hidey folds. No behind the wall stuff necessary. They blend in with the room and you dont notice them.

I listen to music in 2.1, and movies/video in 5.1.

I'm not happy with my current speakers. Oh, they sound pretty good, but worse than sounding "pretty good", they're very inefficent. Wouldn't work with CT's 2.5 1.8w, class-A tube amp...

those cabinets look fabulous

We find it very useful to have some speakers right on the end table next to the couch. We had used the surround sound channels, but now just have the regular front speaker signals sent to the end table speakers.

By having the speakers so close, it seems easier to tune out other noises (dishwasher, woodstove fan, etc).

I routed the wires down through the floor and into the crawl space, then up behind the couch.

a center channel is very important too. about 80% of all the sound in movies is center channel , maybe even more.

my 2 front and 2 rear are identical LINN speakers called the unik's.
the center is a linn trikan which uses same drivers as the uniks...

sub is the linn sizimik .

the same tonality is maintained thru out the entire system making the sound seamless and very dramatic.

mathjak107 said:
those cabinets look fabulous

Thanks! - That was my winter project last year. I designed them with a Wood Working Cabinet company, and they completed the work.

I have about $20K into the cabinet and another $15K into Electronics. I did all the Electrical work myself and Electronics wiring. I have about 600 Feet of Electrical and low volt wiring installed as well. All the Components are on a separate Sub-Panel.

very nice job, its magnificiant

heres the linn system
, click on pic to enlarge

Attachments

• stereo4.jpg
    stereo4.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 19
  • stereo4.jpg_thumb
    31 KB · Views: 0
Back
Top Bottom