Wolf Decking PVC?

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We’ve decided to replace the pressure treated wood on our decking with a composite. We assumed Trex would be an option but our contractor recommends Wolf PVC decking, I’d never heard of it though I don’t follow the industry. I’ve read all the reviews and comparisons - just asking here if anyone has an outdoor deck with Wolf PVC, preferably one with some years on it?

I've put in a Trex deck, and it did stain and get algae on it. The stuff was really hot to the touch too. Wouldn't want to use a composite deck again. But maybe Wolf is a superior product.

My biggest complaint is the cost of the stuff. I've got to replace a 28' deck shortly, and #1 5/4 x 6 is expensive enough. But the plastic/hybrid decking is really priced out of sight. It's a hard decision.

We’ve decided to replace the pressure treated wood on our decking with a composite. We assumed Trex would be an option but our contractor recommends Wolf PVC decking, I’d never heard of it though I don’t follow the industry. I’ve read all the reviews and comparisons - just asking here if anyone has an outdoor deck with Wolf PVC, preferably one with some years on it?
I know you are looking for Wolf applications, but we installed Trex last year with fasteners rather than screwed down. It has weathered one New England winter and looks great. We power washed it this spring.

We installed Tandeck decking (recycled plastic) at our Florida home in 2016 and replaced a wood deck in 2018 in Indiana with Azek, which is PVC. Both are too hot to walk on barefoot on a sunny day. Both need to be treated with a mold inhibitor and pressure washed annually to keep up the appearance. I would suggest staying away from any product that contains wood fiber, unless you just replace the deck with wood - which is not a bad plan so long as you don't expect it to last beyond 20-25 years. I'm in the business and we've had to step up to the plate three times and stand behind failed wood composite decking products after the manufacturers went belly up. Haven't heard of Wolf decking, so can't help you out on them specifically.

Apart from price heat seems the biggest issue with composite decking vs. wood.

How much direct sun does the OP's deck get during the day?

Apart from price heat seems the biggest issue with composite decking vs. wood.

How much direct sun does the OP's deck get during the day?
I’d considered that. Fortunately it’s a covered porch that we’re going to screen in too, so hopefully (radiation) heat and UV will be mitigated some at least. Thanks.

Based on zero knowledge :blush: I thought PVC decking was inferior to composite decking (wood and plastic) like Trex, but evidently that may not be the case? And capping (cladding) has greatly improved PVC and composite decking over early products - something I didn’t know until a few days ago. Still researching, I’d never heard of Wolf...

Last edited:
I’d considered that. Fortunately it’s a covered porch that we’re going to screen in too, so hopefully (radiation) heat and UV will be mitigated some at least. Thanks.

Based on zero knowledge :blush: I thought PVC decking was inferior to composite decking (wood and plastic) like Trex, but evidently that may not be the case? And capping (cladding) has greatly improved PVC and composite decking over early products - something I didn’t know until a few days ago. Still researching, I’d never heard of Wolf...

Curious what you find out. I also have never heard of Wolf, so I went to their website yesterday to see if anybody near me sells it - looks like the number of places that sell it is limited to a rather small geographic area.

I know you are talking about Wolf. I've never heard of it either, and I live in NC.

But, I'd want to give you something to think about on your covered porch. This may sound crazy. At first, I thought it was too.

Tile.

Yes, tile. My contractor recommended it for our covered porch. I thought he was crazy. But he convinced me to give it a try.

15 years later, I'll call it the best thing we ever did.

He laid down a base of pressure treated, so it is officially a deck. On top of that, a thick layer of concrete backer board. Then on top of that frostproof, high quality tile. We made sure to get some with some texture.

This works in NC just fine. I wouldn't go there if it had massive wet exposure in a colder climate.

Attachments

• deck2.jpg
    deck2.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 28
  • deck1.jpg
    deck1.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I know you are talking about Wolf. I've never heard of it either, and I live in NC.

But, I'd want to give you something to think about on your covered porch. This may sound crazy. At first, I thought it was too.

Tile.

Yes, tile. My contractor recommended it for our covered porch. I thought he was crazy. But he convinced me to give it a try.

He laid down a base of pressure treated, so it is officially a deck. On top of that, a thick layer of concrete backer board. Then on top of that frostproof, high quality tile. We made sure to get some with some texture.

This works in NC just fine. I wouldn't go there if it had massive wet exposure in a colder climate.
You're right, I'd never considered tile. I take it from your pictures the walls are all/part glass - like a 3-4 season room? Our porch is covered, but the walls will be all screen. I'd be afraid of tile on a completely open, other than roof, porch-deck? We have way more conditioned space than we wanted, so adding more, even a (partly) glassed in porch, isn't in the picture for us.

You're right, I'd never considered tile. I take it from your pictures the walls are all/part glass - like a 3-4 season room? Our porch is covered, but the walls will be all screen. I'd be afraid of tile on a completely open, other than roof, porch-deck? We have way more conditioned space than we wanted, so adding more, even a (partly) glassed in porch, isn't in the picture for us.
You're right, I'd be less willing to do this for a roof to floor screen only porch.

Only our knee-wall is enclosed. Above that is screen all year. We get occasional rain intrusion on the deck with wind-blown rains (two or three times a year). We get a lot less rain than if the screen went right to the floor. This is not conditioned space, but fully air-flowing above the knee wall.

It is just an idea and an option that turned out to work for us. But I'm with you, if your screen goes to the floor, then it is probably too much moisture exposure.

You're right, I'd be less willing to do this for a roof to floor screen only porch.

Only our knee-wall is enclosed. Above that is screen all year. We get occasional rain intrusion on the deck with wind-blown rains (two or three times a year). We get a lot less rain than if the screen went right to the floor. This is not conditioned space, but fully air-flowing above the knee wall.

It is just an idea and an option that turned out to work for us. But I'm with you, if your screen goes to the floor, then it is probably too much moisture exposure.
Midpack; A couple of suggestions in addition to the fasteners method vs the screwed: if the width of your porch is 20' or less, order the product in lengths slightly wider than the porch. Some products may even come as long as 24'. That way you'll have no seams. And secondly, install netting/ screening on the cross members before laying down the composite, to keep insects out.

Tile.

If those pictures are from an installation done 15 years ago then Bravo to your installer! That looks terrific.

Composite is the way to go. I am not sure oif they are much different between brands. They are plastic and wood fibers.

I put in a a 16' x 24' composite deck right after I retired. Use hidden fasteners for a better look. It will likely fade, but no splinters and no maintenance.

We did tile for a covered patio for my parents in southeast Louisiana - no issues whatsoever. Just needed to make sure we got something slip-resistant, since even though its covered, a little rain gets in.

I can't help much on what type or brand put some of the plastic decking gets very slick when wet or snow covered. I know a lady down the street that had a composite put down and is having it tore of as we speak. She is having it replaced with a composite that isn't slippery when wet or snow covered.
I have heard others say that their deck is almost a danger because of that.

Composite is the way to go. I am not sure oif they are much different between brands. They are plastic and wood fibers.

I put in a a 16' x 24' composite deck right after I retired. Use hidden fasteners for a better look. It will likely fade, but no splinters and no maintenance.
Though Trex and many others have wood fiber, Wolf and other PVC only deck boards do NOT have any wood fiber- that’s what led me to ask what the performance difference is.

We’ll ask about hidden fasteners, thanks.
Midpack; A couple of suggestions in addition to the fasteners method vs the screwed: if the width of your porch is 20' or less, order the product in lengths slightly wider than the porch. Some products may even come as long as 24'. That way you'll have no seams. And secondly, install netting/ screening on the cross members before laying down the composite, to keep insects out.
Screen underneath is already in the plan. And our deck is small, only 12’ x 14’ so I’ll make sure the contractor plans on continuous without joints. Thanks.

The contractor comes by this afternoon to scope/spec out the job. Should be a go, but I plan to ask to see an install somewhere that’s been down for at least a couple years.

Last edited:
If those pictures are from an installation done 15 years ago then Bravo to your installer! That looks terrific.
Yes. My contractor didn't do everything perfect, but he did for the stability of the deck (good footers) and preparation and installation of the tile. Hard to believe it is 15 years. I have a project this winter to replace the screens, they are finally decaying.

The contractor comes by this afternoon to scope/spec out the job. Should be a go, but I plan to ask to see an install somewhere that’s been down for at least a couple years.
Let us know how it goes, Midpack. I'm interested in this Wolf stuff.

Yes. My contractor didn't do everything perfect, but he did for the stability of the deck (good footers) and preparation and installation of the tile. Hard to believe it is 15 years. I have a project this winter to replace the screens, they are finally decaying.

Let us know how it goes, Midpack. I'm interested in this Wolf stuff.
They did the beadboard ceiling Mon and the Wolf PVC Tuesday, both look really good to me. The screening, door, etc. are going in today Fri as I post this, they hope to finish today. I think we're going to enjoy the upgraded covered porch!

From what I've read, good PVC holds up a little better than good composite (plastic-wood fiber) - both are much lower maintenance than treated wood. They claim PVC and composite break even in the long run including cost to maintain a wood deck to keep it looking good (most people probably don't, and their decks look pretty sad) - although that may be marketing spin.

No turning back for us...

Last edited:
We investigated composites, mostly Trex, but we decided against it.
They come in different grades and even at the highest grade they still look artificial or plastic. We have neighbors that have the darker, supposedly more natural wood colors and they faded and also show footprints.
The online reviews mention warping. The warranty on some of the materials only covers the boards. Installation is in addition so if you have a problem, it still will be expensive to replace.
Though more expensive we decided to go with flagstone.

After 25 years and two years ago, I was having to make the same decision on a two level deck system off the back of my house. I decided against Trex for the same reasons others have stated, the algae build up, slippery, etc. Since I was the one stripping and staining these decks, I wanted as little maintenance as possible (don't we all!). I decided to go with brick to match the front walk ways. Upper deck is raised off the ground a bit (23 x 14) with 3 little steps up and steps that lead to a lower ground level patio (23 X 15). Nothing was under roof so rain, snow, etc. was a consideration. This was the same configuration as the original deck. Since the upper portion was raised, I had it built with a foundation so I could possibly add roof, walls or something later if I wanted. Ground level was also done with brick over concrete. White Azek PVC porch posts with black wrought iron rails between on upper deck. Did this 2 years ago and I could not be happier! Expensive but happy. If I had not already had a brick walk and a large entrance patio in the front, I probably would have gone with flagstone or something that could weather like brick or flagstone.

FWIW. The newest generations of capped/clad composite and PVC perform much better than the first or earlier generations that were just bare composite. Just FYI if you're considering, the ball game has changed substantially from where the industry started. The original reviews and owners probably aren't good references.

Last edited:
FWIW. The newest generations of capped/clad composite and PVC perform much better than the first or earlier generations that were just bare composite. Just FYI if you're considering, the ball game has changed substantially from where the industry started. The original reviews and owners probably aren't good references.
Do you happen to know how long this stuff has been around?

My contractor 15 years ago didn't mention it as I think it was fairly new. His high end option was to push Brazillian Ipe.

We had a PVC deck installed in 1991, before many composites were even available. Still looked great when we sold the house in 2014. The only maintenance was pressure washing it in the spring which was quick and easy. Would do it again without hesitation.

Do you happen to know how long this stuff has been around?

My contractor 15 years ago didn't mention it as I think it was fairly new. His high end option was to push Brazillian Ipe.
Composite decking has been around since the 1990’s, Trex since 1996. Capped composite decking has been around since 2008/2009. Brazilian Ipe is still considered a significant upgrade over pressure treated (pine) wood decking.

https://www.timbertech.com/imagine/stories/the-history-of-capped-composite-decking/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom