Women's World Cup - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most people don't care about female sports. People want to see the best athletes. Let's take baseball. How many show up at a minor league game? Some, but a tiny fraction of what a MLB would bring in. There are about 25,000 women attending every night at a Dodgers game. It's not that women or men are not interested in sports, but they want to see the best athlete perform.

I remember when University of Nebraska had a promotion. They gave away free bacon to any male that came and watched the female sports event. Still nobody showed up.

Now will there be a limited about of interest in any athletic event. Sure. I've got two daughters who have competed in gymnastics, basketball ( the fan attendance for the boys teams were about 10 times the girl games) cross country, and volleyball. They were both Junior Olympic swimmers. But beyond the families involved, hardly anybody would show up to view these activities.

Regarding the sport on this thread, I think that the Hope Solo assaults on her family members turned a good many away from the topic of women's soccer.

Maybe , I know mr Vick’s *ullsh*t soured me a bit on the NFL. But are you going to categorically shun an entire entertainment genre when you discover a criminal or unsavory individual that one might think the associated industry didn’t punish enough ? There won’t be much left [emoji1782]. We could all do with making more of our own entertainment though.

Last edited:
Maybe , I know mr Vick’s *ullsh*t soured me a bit on the NFL. But are you going to categorically shun an entire entertainment genre when you discover a criminal or unsavory individual that one might think the associated industry didn’t punish enough ? There won’t be much left [emoji1782]. We could all do with making more of our own entertainment though.

1) I have 2 Yorkshire terriers, I'm right there with you on that point.

2) I don't think people are shunning an entire entertainment genre, I think the vast majority aren't interested in the first place. I gave MLB as an example upthread. Let's look at basketball. The NBA league average per team is 8 million in profit annually. There's 30 teams last I looked. Thats for mens basketball.

The WNBA loses 10 million annually. 12 million last year. The commissioner said they averaged 1000 fewer fans per game. The WNBA is the women's league.

A good chunk of society doesn't care about men's athletic events. A much LARGER chunk on society doesn't care about female sports.

Back to the technical issues for a moment. There were 3 goals allowed after VAR where an offside player affected the game without playing the ball. In 2 instances she caused a defender to overreach herself and either score an own goal or deflect the ball past the offside player to an onside player who scored. The 3rd goal allowed was a header from an onside attacker while her offside teammate was stood directly between her and the goalkeeper, close to the goalkeeper and blocking her view. Since the decisions show that an offside player does not commit an offence if they do not touch the ball how about a future tactic for direct free kicks close to goal. Instead of placing attacking players at the end and in front of the defensive wall to block the sight of the keeper why not position them on the 6 yard box in front of the keeper then when the kick is taken immediately run away from the ball?

Back to the technical issues for a moment. There were 3 goals allowed after VAR where an offside player affected the game without playing the ball. In 2 instances she caused a defender to overreach herself and either score an own goal or deflect the ball past the offside player to an onside player who scored. The 3rd goal allowed was a header from an onside attacker while her offside teammate was stood directly between her and the goalkeeper, close to the goalkeeper and blocking her view. Since the decisions show that an offside player does not commit an offence if they do not touch the ball how about a future tactic for direct free kicks close to goal. Instead of placing attacking players at the end and in front of the defensive wall to block the sight of the keeper why not position them on the 6 yard box in front of the keeper then when the kick is taken immediately run away from the ball?
Alan, if you provide a link to something about Law 11, that would help greatly. I recall a lot of discussion about offside, with most people getting it wrong. So, there is Law 11, and then advice how to interpret, and of course the real world where VAR is PIA.

I would have thought that your Case #3 was definitely offside, but I am out of step with the rules, I suppose.

Persistent Infringement!

Persistent Dissent!

Many years ago I was at a US soccer tournament for girls and boys of all ages. The sponsoring club had a very good reputation, and I felt good about our involvement. But the weather was awful, and so was the assistant dad coach of daughter's travel team. As I would continue to find out over a period of two years, our scrawny Englishman was a poor role model on the field, drank special coffee at practice, and had a special bond with referees.

In the first game, it was not long before he questioned every call. The other dad coach was a club mahoff, and not at the field due to tournament duties. Well, the ref soon had enough, walked to the sideline and presented our sole coach with a shiny red card.

The ref was also quite disappointed that our only coach was sent packing, and we had no coach to continue the game. A forfeit was at hand. I had a proper coaching licence at the time, but was not on the team roster. So, I asked the ref in a nice voice, what was the card for? "Persistent dissent," he bellowed. I smiled, trotted to opposite end of very large tournament field, and found our primary dad coach. He was not happy obviously, having to leave his protected shelter, and come to the sopping field. But at I got him to come to the field, where he should have been, and coach the rest of the game.

I watched primary dad coach become very unhappy as the rain continued. But it did temporarily wash away our sins.
:biggrin:

We had a bit of discussion earlier in the thread re: Law 11.

Law 11 states that interfering with play means: playing or touching the ball passed or touched by a teammate.

Law 11 states that interfering with an opponent” means:
- preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball. For example, by clearly obstructing the goalkeeper’s line of vision or movement making a gesture or movement which, in the opinion of the referee, deceives or distracts an opponent
- the opponent must be reasonably close to the play so that the blocking, deceiving or distracting makes a difference

The tactic that you are suggesting Alan - placing a player from the attacking team in the goal area in an offside position at the taking of a free kick - could very well be interpreted as "interfering with an opponent" through deception or distraction. Or not! Enter Mr./Mrs. VAR and another lengthy play stoppage while referees in a distant booth freeze-frame endless camera angles and draw virtual lines to render their decision from on-high.

Congrats USWNT - deserved champions

Just got back late last night - so I haven't had a chance to watch the latest games yet - but from the press accounts I read the US thoroughly deserved to win.

Here's an idea. Why don't the US enter the women's national team in the men's world cup? They are unlikely to win it of course but they couldn't possibly do worse than the men's team could they? They might even qualify.

Here's an idea. Why don't the US enter the women's national team in the men's world cup? They are unlikely to win it of course but they couldn't possibly do worse than the men's team could they? They might even qualify.
They haven't learned to dive as well as the men. All the other teams will out-dive them.

It's worth trying. Although I suspect it will have the following disadvantages.

1. They are more likely to block the shot.
2. They are all offside - so useless in any subsequent play.
3. If the opposition gains possession, you suddenly have a bunch of players who can't help prevent a subsequent counter-attack.

It reminds me a bit of a similar tactic that I've seen Liverpool and other teams employ at corner kicks where they crowd round the goalkeeper to prevent him moving to intercept crosses.

OK what about the US women's diving team? They's do better than the USMNT surely?
Nah, the women's diving team can strike a ball much better than any of the men's diving team.

DW said the very same as we were watching another embarrassing USMNT performance during last night's Gold Cup final.

My suggestion on placing players in an offside position to block the goalkeeper's view from a free kick was really me mocking the decision of the VAR allowed goal where the attacker stood in front of the goalkeeper to block her view from the corner, which is perfectly normal and allowed. However, the German team did not kick the ball directly into the center but instead played back down the line for another player to cross from a different angle. Meanwhile the defence had stepped forward leaving the blocking attacker in front of the keeper in a clearly offside position, and when I saw the VAR I was convinced the goal would be disallowed, but it wasn't, and I don't understand why.

Unfortunately the final decision from a VAR is not explained by the officials and leaves the commentators and pundits guessing as to why that decision had been made.

Just got back late last night - so I haven't had a chance to watch the latest games yet - but from the press accounts I read the US thoroughly deserved to win.

No , not realistically. The men’s teams are way stronger on the ball, in general, much faster over 90 minutes etc. occasionally the uswnt plays the men’s under 15 team and they are, to the best of my knowledge, are always defeated handily. The women’s teams are still fun to watch though, which didn’t use to be the case always 5 years ago.

DW said the very same as we were watching another embarrassing USMNT performance during last night's Gold Cup final.

They were decent the first half. The second half....not so much. Mexico changed their tactics because the us was close to scoring on multiple occasions. the us didn’t adjust and got the tables turned on themselves.

Last edited:
the us was close to scoring on multiple occasions.

The USMNT couldn't finish a meal last night, much less a scoring opportunity. Joezie Altidore proved once again that his reputation of having one of the worst 2nd touches in all of football is deserved.

No , not realistically. The men’s teams are way stronger on the ball, in general, much faster over 90 minutes etc. occasionally the uswnt plays the men’s under 15 team and they are, to the best of my knowledge, are always defeated handily. The women’s teams are still fun to watch though, which didn’t use to be the case always 5 years ago.

The women's team played a high school boys team about 2 years ago and lost 5-2.

Some people say the funniest things.

The women's team played a high school boys team about 2 years ago and lost 5-2.

The men's team lost 2-1 to Trinidad and Tobago about 2 years ago. Is that any worse?

Granted, I understand it's not really fair that they had to play both Trinidad AND Tobago simultaneously.

Granted, I understand it's not really fair that they had to play both Trinidad AND Tobago simultaneously.

And let's not forget that both are world football powerhouses. Right up there with St. Vincent & The Grenadines. Imagine having to play both of them simultaneously.

And let's not forget that both are world football powerhouses. Right up there with St. Vincent & The Grenadines. Imagine having to play both of them simultaneously.

That would make a great name for a Caribbean band...

The men's team lost 2-1 to Trinidad and Tobago about 2 years ago. Is that any worse?

Are you saying the men's team lost to another men's team? If so, what is unusual about that? Or did you mean something else?

What I pointed out is, after someone mentioned that the women's team from yesterday played a boys high school team, that the last one was in 2017. The 15yo boys beat them 5-2.

As far as the suggestion that the women's team should play the mens...I think that is a great suggestion. Women are equal, right?

Is that why the men get paid more?

Perhaps! What a grueling CONCACAF WC qualification schedule the USMNT faces, having to also take on the likes of Grenada & Cuba. Then lurking out there is a potential matchup with Guyana.

Bruce Arena, the former USMNT manager and guru of all things football had this to say ahead of his team's epic qualifying disaster in Port Au Prince:

"I would love to see one of these hotshot teams from Europe come here and play in our CONCACAF qualifying, to really get a taste of this and see what that’s about," Arena said on Monday, ahead of Tuesday's U.S. qualifier against Trinidad & Tobago. "This is very challenging. This is like survival of the fittest. They could do one of those TV shows on this. Who will survive in the end? That’s basically what this is."

Yeah, you tell 'em Bruce. One of the European hotshot teams that just go on and win the World Cup. Send 'em over here and let 'em get a taste of CONCACAF football!

Are you saying the men's team lost to another men's team? If so, what is unusual about that? Or did you mean something else?

What I pointed out is, after someone mentioned that the women's team from yesterday played a boys high school team, that the last one was in 2017. The 15yo boys beat them 5-2.

As far as the suggestion that the women's team should play the mens...I think that is a great suggestion. Women are equal, right?

We are engaging in a bit of sardonic humor here, mate!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom