World Cup 2022

A path for the U.S. to get out of group play became more precarious today with Iran pulling out a late winner vs Wales. Iran now sits on 3 points.

Throughout WC qualifying and with their opening game vs Wales, the U.S. has been unable to put together two solid halves of futbol in a single match.

If that pattern holds true today, even a remote chance of earning a draw vs England goes right out the window.

Although even a loss today vs England would keep the U.S. mathematically alive to advance, doing so would require beating a tough and talented Iranian side and Wales managing no better than a draw with England on the final day of group fixtures.

I would have thought a Wales win would be worse for the US, since they already tied us. If it went to the head-to-head tiebreaker they win. It seems the US has better control of it's own destiny with the Iran win. I suppose a tie would have been better.

The U.S. finally put together two solid halves and managed a point with the draw vs England.

A win vs Iran and they can advance.

For me, Tyler Adams was MOTM. He bossed the midfield and balled out big time today.

Underdog upsets

The Ticos manage a win over favored Japan.

Morocco with a convincing 2-0 upset over favored Belgium. Belgium was fortunate to eke out a win in their opening match after being outplayed by Canada and getting a bit of help from some poor officiating as well.

Croatia the favorites going against Canada. Yet, Croatia looked flat in their opener vs Morocco.

Spain v Germany today. Germany's players & their manager, Hansi Flick, have been excoriated in the German press over their 2-1 opening match loss vs Japan. One media outlet stated that Germany had once again made a 'fool out of themselves' at the start of a major tournament, reminding readers of their group stage ouster in 2018 after losing to Mexico and South Korea in group play.

Sorry but, just not my game

#

th

Geeeez, Bub - you can MAKE it your game. If you'd like a fun and enriching new experience, I'd recommend it. Most humans CAN pick up new things, and even learn to like 'em. I was never that big on hockey, but a friend invited me to two games last year. I went to develop a friendship, but I had way more fun than I expected & have now begun to watch games and track my home team in the standings.

Soccer is a sport loved all over the world, and those players on the field do some amazing things. Give it a good fair try before writing it off for good.

Geeeez, Bub - you can MAKE it your game. If you'd like a fun and enriching new experience, I'd recommend it. Most humans CAN pick up new things, and even learn to like 'em. I was never that big on hockey, but a friend invited me to two games last year. I went to develop a friendship, but I had way more fun than I expected & have now begun to watch games and track my home team in the standings.

Soccer is a sport loved all over the world, and those players on the field do some amazing things. Give it a good fair try before writing it off for good.

he’s not really sorry. Which is fine, but I’m not sure why we have to know he doesn’t care about it.

I'm very proud as a person from the United States in how our USMNT captain Tyler Adams answered this question from an Iranian reporter at a presser. It was obvious attempt to bait the 24 year-old U.S. footballer. Tyler would have none of it and ended up owning the moment.

Group Play Final Round

The final round of group play begins today. Of the 16 spots available in the knockout rounds only 3 are taken - France, Brazil & Portugal. Only 2 teams have been eliminated - Canada & Qatar. The remaining 27 teams all have something at stake.

Beginning in 2026, the tournament will be expanding from 32 to 48 nations. The 48 teams will be divided into 16 groups of three. The top two teams in each group will progress to a new knock-out phase of 32. It means that 16 teams will go home after playing just two matches.

This World Cup will likely be the last time we witness the drama & tension of a final round of group play where there is so much at stake for so many teams. I'm going to savor it!

Congratulations to England and US, both won their matches today and are moving on. I was only able to watch part of US - Iran, but highlights of England - Wales show some very nice goals.

Watched the U.S. match start to finish.

The concern for the U.S. moving into the knockout round vs the Netherlands is a lack of scoring. It's been this team's Achilles heel throughout qualifying and the group stage of the WC as well.

Gregg Berhalter needs to look beyond expecting goals from the striker position. For some reason, Berhalter has a reluctance to play our most talented player, Gio Reyna. Reyna is a starter for his club team Dortmund and is highly rated. He also brings a skill set to the U.S. side that would better enable us to break down defenses. He is comfortable with the ball at his feet, has the ability to take on opponents 1 v 1 along with great vision and a high "futbol I.Q."

Getting past the Netherlands will be very difficult. Especially so if Pulisic's injury makes him unavailable along with Sargent. And if Gregg remains stubbornly wed to the same old, same old then the same result should be expected. Lack of scoring.

Belgium eliminated

Considered a dark horse contender to win this World Cup, the Red Devils are on their way home after a scoreless draw with Croatia. Romalu Lukaku missed two sitters in front of the Croatian goal that could have sealed a win for Belgium.

The dream is over for U.S. fans.

The dream is over for U.S. fans.

As for the "dream", that is very much alive for most fans of the USMNT. Our roster was the 2nd youngest at this World Cup. And there are more, even younger, talented players making their way to Europe to compete in top 5 leagues. Expectations will be raised even higher for the USMNT in the 2026 World Cup. Most players on this current roster will be entering their prime.

For this World Cup, the baseline expectation was that the USMNT had enough talent to make it out of group play. And then depending on the draw, maybe even get to the quarterfinals.

The Dutch were the better side today. I'm looking forward to what our USMNT will have to offer going into 2026.

Play always improves during the round of 16 when every match now is win or go home, and today's encounters were no exception. England looked as if they initially underestimated Senegal, but recovered and played an excellent match with 3 very nice goals. They will face France in one quarterfinal.

Last edited:
Japan v Croatia

Croatia again, as they did 4 years ago, end up advancing in the tournament after prevailing in kicks from the mark. Although only a goal apiece was scored over 120 minutes of play, it was still an entertaining match between two clinical sides. Croatia's keeper was outstanding and snuffed out any hope Japan had during the taking of penalty kicks.

Additionally, the lone FIFA center referee from the U.S., Ismail Elfath, did an outstanding job managing the game. IMO, his performances so far have earned him another assignment for the quarterfinals.

Best day so far in the ‘22 World Cup IMHO. Croatia clearly had a game plan which they executed well, while Brazil looked like they expected an easy day that didn’t work out. Croatia’s keeper had another great game. The English ref was also very good.

Argentina - Netherlands was an exciting match despite a poor job by Spanish referee Antonio Mateu Lahoz. I think he set a new record for yellow cards and he certainly didn’t control the field. The game was unnecessarily rough as a result, but they were still two top tier teams playing to their potential. The Netherlands equalizer scored just as time ran out was about as exciting as it gets.

Best day so far in the ‘22 World Cup IMHO. Croatia clearly had a game plan which they executed well, while Brazil looked like they expected an easy day that didn’t work out. Croatia’s keeper had another great game. The English ref was also very good.

Argentina - Netherlands was an exciting match despite a poor job by Spanish referee Antonio Mateu Lahoz. I think he set a new record for yellow cards and he certainly didn’t control the field. The game was unnecessarily rough as a result, but they were still two top tier teams playing to their potential. The Netherlands equalizer scored just as time ran out was about as exciting as it gets.

Missed them both!! Travel day for us. We were boarding the plane just as kicks from the mark started in the Brazil v Croatia match. That result was quite an upset considering how heavily favored was Brazil. The Croatia side has no quit in them!

Learned of the Argentina v Dutch result after we landed. Argentina is my sentimental favorite. How great it would be for Messi to finally win a World Cup.

I missed Croatia-Brazil but had the Argentina-Netherlands game on while doing stuff around the house... thank goodness for cable DVR :). It seemed very time I came back within range of the TV and goal had recently been scored. I did sit and watch the shootout. The fan and player emotions at the end of these games are incredible.

Brazil is overrated.

The same could be said of Spain.

I'll wager that the Spaniards completed close to 1000 passes in their loss to Morocco. Spain with the ball was like watching paint dry. For all of that knocking the ball around, the Spaniards managed an XG (expected goals) of 1.55 to Morocco's .82, yet were unable to finish - and then missed all 3 of their kicks from the mark!

Spain's performance v Morocco resembled that of 2018 in their knockout loss to Russia.

Missed them both!! Travel day for us. We were boarding the plane just as kicks from the mark started in the Brazil v Croatia match. That result was quite an upset considering how heavily favored was Brazil. The Croatia side has no quit in them!

Learned of the Argentina v Dutch result after we landed. Argentina is my sentimental favorite. How great it would be for Messi to finally win a World Cup.

The first Argentina goal started with a pass by Messi that was amazing, a real testament that he is one of the best players in the world. The highlights don’t capture it.

Someone forgot to tell Croatia they were the inferior team. From the first whistle their attitude on the pitch was that of a winner, and they never let Brazil find their rhythm.

Back
Top Bottom