Women's World Cup - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps! What a grueling CONCACAF WC qualification schedule the USMNT faces, having to also take on the likes of Grenada & Cuba. Then lurking out there is a potential matchup with Guyana.

Bruce Arena, the former USMNT manager and guru of all things football had this to say ahead of his team's epic qualifying disaster in Port Au Prince:

"I would love to see one of these hotshot teams from Europe come here and play in our CONCACAF qualifying, to really get a taste of this and see what that’s about," Arena said on Monday, ahead of Tuesday's U.S. qualifier against Trinidad & Tobago. "This is very challenging. This is like survival of the fittest. They could do one of those TV shows on this. Who will survive in the end? That’s basically what this is."

Yeah, you tell 'em Bruce. One of the European hotshot teams that just go on and win the World Cup. Send 'em over here and let 'em get a taste of CONCACAF football!

They'll get better when more of them play in Europe instead of wasting their careers in the MLS. Pulisic has the right idea playing in the Bundesliga. He'll just keep on getting better. Compare the US squad to the top European squads - I'd guess that 90%+ play in the PL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A or the Farmer's League.

Last edited:
They'll get better when more of them play in Europe instead of wasting their careers in the MLS. Pulisic has the right idea playing in the Bundesliga. He'll just keep on getting better. Compare the US squad to the top European squads - I'd guess that 90%+ play in the PL, La Liga, Bubdesliga, Serie A or the Farmer's League.

Agreed. The U.S. has several young, talented players competing in the Bundesliga. Pulisic recently joined Chelsea on the largest transfer fee to date for a U.S. player. Tim Weah just signed a contract with Lille in France's Ligue 1 that should provide him the opportunity for cracking the 1st team - something that wasn't going to happen at PSG.

In watching last night's Gold Cup, I thought Paul Arriola was the best player for the U.S. side. He's had a really good tournament overall and is another who is wasting his time at D.C. United. Hopefully, there were a few European scouts in attendance.

What really accelerated Pulisic's development is having a Croatian passport that allowed him to sign a pro contract with Dortmund at age 16. Unfortunately, too many U.S. players have to wait until age 18 and end up losing out on the opportunity to train and develop at a younger age with a pro club in Europe. I think that U.S. soccer would be well served in at least exploring the possibility of the E.U. allowing a limited number of players from the U.S. on some sort of guest worker program so they too could train as professionals with European clubs.

....and also because they are really good.

If they are really good, why is there so little interest inside the US?

I mentioned the WNBA earlier. The female teams lose money every year. Actually losses increased by 20% in 2018. Fan attendance down 1000 per game on average.

The highest salary for the WNBA is 115,000. Russel Westbrook makes 43 million.

Why? The answer is because people are interested in seeing him play.

I wouldn't think casual observers would know this, but...

When you take your world class women's team to play FC Dallas U-15, it's not a selection of players from a high school team.

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/ne...-the-u-s-womens-national-team-in-a-scrimmage/

Boys who manage to make a team like FC Dallas U15 are not typical, and have probably played ODP and other professional settings since 7 or younger. They are all top players selected from a large pool of players. MLS sponsors such a team.

Also, it's called a friendly, and you would know that the older women players would be well aware of the implications of such a game. The national women's team would have nothing to gain from a win or tie.

Looking at the size differential of the one U15 player alongside 5'6 players, you can understand why a well coached USWNT would not challenge much in such a game. They have everything to lose, and nothing to gain. It's a game you run at pace, but players all know what is to be achieved.

For a women's soccer team, yes. Including all of humanity, not so much.

Just can't let their accomplishments stand on their own accord. There has to be the "for a woman" (or "women") attached to it.

Women in general have had to listen to those sort of remarks - mostly from men - for as long as I can remember. I heard it said by men in the workplace about women in leadership positions. I heard the same said about female soccer official colleagues as they were breaking into their officiating careers.

Remarks made in such a context are diminishing in nature.

I wouldn't think casual observers would know this, but...

When you take your world class women's team to play FC Dallas U-15, it's not a selection of players from a high school team.

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/ne...-the-u-s-womens-national-team-in-a-scrimmage/

Boys who manage to make a team like FC Dallas U15 are not typical, and have probably played ODP and other professional settings since 7 or younger. They are all top players selected from a large pool of players. MLS sponsors such a team.

Also, it's called a friendly, and you would know that the older women players would be well aware of the implications of such a game. The national women's team would have nothing to gain from a win or tie.

Looking at the size differential of the one U15 player alongside 5'6 players, you can understand why a well coached USWNT would not challenge much in such a game. They have everything to lose, and nothing to gain. It's a game you run at pace, but players all know what is to be achieved.

It looks like we agree that the boys team is made up of good players. Thats why the women couldn't beat them.

You point out the size differential. Correct, the males are taller. And faster. And stronger. And thats why people pay to attend their games. They don't watch the minor leagues nearly as much. Nor juvenile athletics. And...not women's sports. And thats what I think is not being understood.

Why join the thread if you don’t care for women’s sport? Some people do enjoy watching the competitions and discussing it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbados_4%E2%80%932_Grenada_(1994_Caribbean_Cup_qualification)
Perhaps! What a grueling CONCACAF WC qualification schedule the USMNT faces, having to also take on the likes of Grenada & Cuba. Then lurking out there is a potential matchup with Guyana.

Bruce Arena, the former USMNT manager and guru of all things football had this to say ahead of his team's epic qualifying disaster in Port Au Prince:

"I would love to see one of these hotshot teams from Europe come here and play in our CONCACAF qualifying, to really get a taste of this and see what that’s about," Arena said on Monday, ahead of Tuesday's U.S. qualifier against Trinidad & Tobago. "This is very challenging. This is like survival of the fittest. They could do one of those TV shows on this. Who will survive in the end? That’s basically what this is."

Yeah, you tell 'em Bruce. One of the European hotshot teams that just go on and win the World Cup. Send 'em over here and let 'em get a taste of CONCACAF football!

I dunno - some of those CONCACAF teams can be pretty sneaky :confused:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbados_4%E2%80%932_Grenada_(1994_Caribbean_Cup_qualification)

Edit: Not sure why the link doesn't work - just follow the suggestion in wikipedia

Last edited:
So are you suggesting that the USMNT should only play Women's teams?

My response to your question is the women's team won against women. Yet they couldn't even beat a male team that was still going through puberty. I don't think thats easy to accept for some fans who would like to believe otherwise.

There was a poster upthread who mentioned the women's team playing males, thats how this aspect came up.

My response to your question is the women's team won against women. Yet they couldn't even beat a male team that was still going through puberty. I don't think thats easy to accept for some fans who would like to believe otherwise.

There was a poster upthread who mentioned the women's team playing males, thats how this aspect came up.

[Mod hat on]We get that you don’t think that there should be a division between men and women’s sports so please stop belabouring the point. This thread is about the women’s World Cup for those that followed it[Mod hat off]

The US team must've felt incredible pressure to win again, and came through. Very impressive. To my untrained eye they looked better than the rest but not so much so that it was guaranteed. I only watched the last two games but enjoyed it. One of the reasons I like the women's game better is that there is less diving. One of the players, might have been Megan, mentioned it (with a smile, but not really joking) when asked to compare the men's vs women's game.

Just can't let their accomplishments stand on their own accord. There has to be the "for a woman" (or "women") attached to it.

Women in general have had to listen to those sort of remarks - mostly from men - for as long as I can remember. I heard it said by men in the workplace about women in leadership positions. I heard the same said about female soccer official colleagues as they were breaking into their officiating careers.

Remarks made in such a context are diminishing in nature.
Some folks have axes to grind - can't stand compliments made about others nor putting things in true perspective.

Back to the technical issues for a moment. There were 3 goals allowed after VAR where an offside player affected the game without playing the ball. In 2 instances she caused a defender to overreach herself and either score an own goal or deflect the ball past the offside player to an onside player who scored. The 3rd goal allowed was a header from an onside attacker while her offside teammate was stood directly between her and the goalkeeper, close to the goalkeeper and blocking her view. Since the decisions show that an offside player does not commit an offence if they do not touch the ball how about a future tactic for direct free kicks close to goal. Instead of placing attacking players at the end and in front of the defensive wall to block the sight of the keeper why not position them on the 6 yard box in front of the keeper then when the kick is taken immediately run away from the ball?

IMO the fact that they ran away put them in the play and it would be offside... the act of running will distract the goalie...

Also, even if they stood still there is a chance of being hit by the ball and again offside..

IMO the fact that they ran away put them in the play and it would be offside... the act of running will distract the goalie...

Also, even if they stood still there is a chance of being hit by the ball and again offside..

In either scenario, depending upon circumstances, i.e. proximity of the attacking player to the keeper (was the attacking player gesticulating in any manner or screening?) would prompt a VAR review if a goal were scored directly from the free kick.

In the absence of VAR, the A.R. would most likely keep their flag down unless certain that the player in the offside position was actively involved or otherwise interfering with play.

Since the World Cup is now over we have decided to close the thread. Thanks everyone for a lively discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom