Work becoming more fun?

Amy T

Dryer sheet wannabe
Has anyone else found work more fun after they no longer had to do it?

I have hit FI basic happy simple life level. I know that I will be fine if I loose my job. I am now working for a bigger travel budget for the 50 to 60 age time frame. Now I can speak up at work if I think something needs saying. (I am trying to learn to be kind about it.) I can be pushy about what I want. I am fortunate that I do have a lot of freedom to define how I spend my time.

I went back to work after three years off. It was really hard when the organization I work for was so incompetent. Now I have created some projects that I enjoy working on and feel like I am doing something worth while.

I still want more time off but will push that issue once we can travel again...

We have been going through a very hot spell here. DW and I took off to the beach yesterday (plenty of breeze and easy social distancing). Anyway this beach had a lot of families and kids on it for a weekday. One lady was working on her laptop in a beach tent.

So I guess work for all those on the beach was becoming lots more fun.

Me ? I love to work. I just remodeled our family farm house ( roof, siding windows...) Worked til I about dropped for two months. Now, I'm filling in at my old business that I sold a few years ago so the owner could go on vacation.

Pay for both jobs is room & board and a cold fridge to keep some beer.

I'm having a great time. I love to work, I just don't want a jo%^&*b ever again.

Nope. Not me. I felt the same way for a while but recently realized that even though I feel like there are fewer risks speaking out that my current work environment doesn't award competence or experience. Better for me to spend my time silently counting down my days to RE.

Yes! I actually predicted this when I first set up my countdown clock, set to the earliest day I could retire. I wasn't planning to retire on that date, but I assured myself that my attitude would be a LOT different after that date!

It was. As expected, I didn't worry so much about filtering what I said, and didn't worry so much about possible negative impacts to advancement or raises.

Surprisingly, I also said a lot less at meetings. I used to worry about long-term impacts of any decisions made. Suddenly, I didn't really care. I wouldn't be around to fix it or back it out.

Even more surprisingly, people actually listened when I did speak up. Maybe because I was an impartial observer now, maybe because I wasn't as annoying. Probably both. It was sort of fun playing the role of "elder statesman" for a year or so.

Overall I liked my job, but retirement has been lots of fun and I don't miss work one bit, or anyone who I worked with.

Fun, no. But less stressful, certainly. I did two OMYs after hitting my financial threshold and was much more relaxed knowing that I could leave anytime and management no longer had any effective leverage over me. Fortunately or unfortunately, management got really nice to me toward the end and I stuck around until I really had no excuse to stay.

NO. The job is easy and pays very well, but it's continuous BS every day, and it takes up too much time. I need about $325k more in my investments and accounts to make it the kind of ER that I'd like. Could go now, but it might be a bit lean.

WAS FUN!!!!!!!!!!!

Now the BS BUCKET is FULL..

Going to adjust my retire in 2020 thread reply from maybe to YES November 13!

There were times. Sadly last century but there were times.

I guess I was FI before I even came here, since I was raised by a world-class penny pincher, but after regularly reading this board I really filled in a lot of the details in my retirement plan (including different contingencies and scenarios, not just A PLAN), and to me, that's when work became a lot less stressful, when I had an exit plan, even if it was a few years off. Although I always found what I did rewarding, and I always liked most if not all of the people I worked with and for, which helped a lot.

Work did not become more fun once I was FI. I did start to speak up about a lot of issues and probably became a PITA to my bosses, since I wouldn't take their feces anymore.

No. And I can see myself in the comments about being more outspoken after FI.

Shortly after I retired in January 2014, a former boss called to ask me to come back part-time for a special project. It was hard work but I really enjoyed it, because a) they wanted me, and were nice to me b) it was right up my alley c) I collected my pension while earning a salary.
Five years later - the management had changed so nobody knew me any more, the job was beginning to pall (but still easy, and still paying well) and I said to myself, "If they keep renewing my contract every year like this, I will never retire, which is unacceptable." A couple of months later, I was gone.

Short version: Hell NO!

Longer version:

I quickly grew dissatisfied with the w*rk world within the first 5 years of my full time j*b. Quite disillusioned after years of school. I enjoyed much of the w*rk itself, but quickly tired of the usual corporate BS. So I planned for ER or at least a career change and started saving $$.

I have always been a "get along" kind of person, but I grew more "vocal" after a had a few years of savings stashed. I gave my honest professional opinion, regardless of what top brass expected (@ss kissing). This was tolerated, even appreciated early in my career, but it came to an end after a regime change. Honesty was longer even tolerated.

It was a tricky cat and mouse game for over a decade. I was miserable! I exited when I hit my minimum number. No regrets, never looked back.

Nope.

In a former w*rking life, I would argue that I had one of the coolest j*bs out there. Got to do some really crazy things with a very large airplane that "normal" Air Force folks would get sent to prison for doing. But, in the end...it was a j*b and it was w*rk. So, while I miss the exciting parts...since that was about 5% of what the j*b entailed, I don't miss it.

Nope.

In a former w*rking life, I would argue that I had one of the coolest j*bs out there. Got to do some really crazy things with a very large airplane that "normal" Air Force folks would get sent to prison for doing. But, in the end...it was a j*b and it was w*rk. So, while I miss the exciting parts...since that was about 5% of what the j*b entailed, I don't miss it.

Nothing like FLIGHT TEST :dance::D:greetings10:

Short version: Hell NO!

Longer version:

I quickly grew dissatisfied with the w*rk world within the first 5 years of my full time j*b. Quite disillusioned after years of school. I enjoyed much of the w*rk itself, but quickly tired of the usual corporate BS. So I planned for ER or at least a career change and started saving $$.

I have always been a "get along" kind of person, but I grew more "vocal" after a had a few years of savings stashed. I gave my honest professional opinion, regardless of what top brass expected (@ss kissing). This was tolerated, even appreciated early in my career, but it came to an end after a regime change. Honesty was longer even tolerated.

It was a tricky cat and mouse game for over a decade. I was miserable! I exited when I hit my minimum number. No regrets, never looked back.

Plus 1000! FreeBear, I would buy you a Free Beer to compare notes. [emoji481]

Nice to hear everyones experiences. Not working was more fun. But working is definitely not as bad anymore.

After I become financially independent, I just don't care about the work any more. I don't say anything there. Because I don't care.

Back
Top Bottom