World Cup starts tomorrow!

What's wrong with shootout? I love shootout. Lot of skills go into the penalty kick (shootout) too. In fact, players are often practice for that.
Sure, there's a lot of skill there, just like there is in a home run derby. But no one has suggested breaking a tie in baseball with a home run derby. No one has suggested that the NBA break ties with a game of "horse". These are skills that are part of the game, but aren't *the* game.

What's wrong with the shootout is that it's an artificial, contrived way to break ties, one that isn't a normal extension of the game. A team game shouldn't be resolved by a contrived one-on-one confrontation that isn't a normal part of the game (except for penalty kicks or penalty shots in hockey).

the 5 day game can be pretty boring, although many including myself really enjoy it - it is a game of skill, mental strength and endurance.

One Day games and 20-20 games are very exciting. When I played it was always 20-20 as the games were usually played on work nights so you only had 2 - 3 hours of light.

In the 20-20 version, each side gets to bowl ('pitch') 20 overs, each over consisting of 6 'pitches'. The winner is the side who scores the most off their 120 'pitches', and the scores are usually well over a 100 runs each.

Hey Alan... (thread hijack!!!).... I did enjoy watching some cricket when I was there... and one of the good things about a game is that you do not have to watch the whole thing... you could go in and out and see how things are progressing... and do a 'wow' if something is skewed one way or the other...

But I remember talking about the one day games (I think they were 50s)... and never asked this question... what if the bowler just does not get the pitch close:confused: I mean... if I am pitching and I know there is a certain amount of pitches... I would not be close to allowing you to hit the ball unless there is a rule that would say 'that pitch does not count' if it is wide or whatever...

Now..... try to explain what a 'spinner' is :) or leg before stump...

Sure, there's a lot of skill there, just like there is in a home run derby. But no one has suggested breaking a tie in baseball with a home run derby. No one has suggested that the NBA break ties with a game of "horse". These are skills that are part of the game, but aren't *the* game.

Exactly. Why not resolve the tie with a pistol duel, a three-legged race, or a bass-fishing tournament?

Any sporting event that ends in a tie isn't a contest, it's both sides agreeing they can't win.

Those stupid horns alone are enough to turn me off on the World Cup.

" The English are not very spiritual people, so they invented cricket to give them some idea of eternity. "
George Bernard Shaw

But I remember talking about the one day games (I think they were 50s)... and never asked this question... what if the bowler just does not get the pitch close:confused: I mean... if I am pitching and I know there is a certain amount of pitches... I would not be close to allowing you to hit the ball unless there is a rule that would say 'that pitch does not count' if it is wide or whatever...

Now..... try to explain what a 'spinner' is :) or leg before stump...

If a bowl is too wide or high for a batter to hit then the umpire calls a "wide" and a run is awarded plus the ball has to be bowled again.

You are not allowed to stop the ball from hitting the wicket by use of your body (usually your leg) so if the ball hits the batter's leg and the umpire decides that the ball would have hit the wicket if it had not struck the batter then he is given out "leg before wicket". It is perfectly legal to deliberately hit the batter with the ball and this is done often by fast bowlers to make him nervous.

Fast bowlers bowl the ball at speeds between 80 and 95 mph, some manage over a 100 mph.

Medium pace rely on the ball swinging in the air and bouncing sharply off the seam.

Spin bowlers throw the ball much higher in the air imparting a lot of spin so that it takes very sharp unexpected movements when it bounces in front of the batsman as he tries to hit it.

The problem is that if there is not a shootout.... the game can go on forever...
So start with 10 minutes of 10-on-10, then 10 minutes of 9-on-9 and so on. Hockey recently changed its overtime to be skating 4-on-4 instead of the usual 5-on-5 (plus goaltenders) to open up the field, make it more "wide open" and increase the scoring chances (and reducing the need to go to a stupid shootout).

Not perfect but much, much better than a shootout. At least the tie is being resolved by something that resembles the actual game.

If FIFA is too desperate needing US to participating the game - they will change the rule. Until then, I will enjoy the shootout.

So start with 10 minutes of 10-on-10, then 10 minutes of 9-on-9 and so on. Hockey recently changed its overtime to be skating 4-on-4 instead of the usual 5-on-5 (plus goaltenders) to open up the field, make it more "wide open" and increase the scoring chances (and reducing the need to go to a stupid shootout).

Not perfect but much, much better than a shootout. At least the tie is being resolved by something that resembles the actual game.
Hey, I'd watch that--it would be a lot more fun, and changing strategy/skills needed as the numbers dwindled. Don't stop the contest at the first score, just reduce one player per team every 5 minutes, whoever has the most goals at the end of the time wins. If a tie--the last two guys keep playing until someone scores. And, please, can we start immediately with this process instead of having to endure 90 minutes of 11-on-11 to-and-fro?

Oh, and widen the goal a little bit.

And let them use their hands if they want.

I guess you won't like cricket either where a game lasting 5 days often ends in a tie, and a "Test Series" of 5 such games also often ends in a tie.

I grew up with my Dad listening to 5 day tests on short-wave radio. I remember thinking that's very long, but I can appreciate the strategy involved. Running up the score on the other team could result in a draw (not enough time for the other team to finish batting), but calling your side too early could result in not enough runs (ie. a loss).

I don't follow cricket much, but it looks like the twenty over cricket leagues are all the rage now? With games a mere 3 hours now! I played cricket for the first time in over 20 years with some friends about a month ago, it was really fun!

Vicente, mi hermano... ¿Que Paso? Cuanto lamento por ti. Spain has suffered a tragedy

This morning was en outstanding game. Switzerland 1, Spain 0.

Guau!! Those Chilean ladies sure must have some cojones!
Audrey, a well chosen word in spite of Vicente’s opinion. Your accent is almost perfect as well – just missed the upside-down exclamation before the word :) As for the Chilean ladies, well, Chile won it's first match:D

For some reason, this game never caught on in the US. If it were, the US would win the Cup long ago - with all the resource available.
The sport cannot gain sufficient US network backing, along with the limitless money that comes with it, because they won’t change the rules to let advertising dictate the rythym of play. Continuous uninterrupted 45 minute segments are not acceptable to networks.

Audrey, with all due respect- No Spaniard worth his salt would say "Guau" meaning your "Wow".... We would most likely say something like "joder". But not in the sense of an exclamatory "Fu**!" but rather along the "Holy S***!" lines
clip_image001.gif
clip_image001.gif
Vicente, even the priests in Spain use that word. :) Not in Latin America. The most likely choices I can’t use because I would be chastised by the mods - but Audrey’s choice is fine for someone not wanting a family-friendly term.

Vicente, I guess those Spaniards are just more salty than us gringos. I met a woman at a dance who called herself "Concha". I thought I must have heard it wrong, but when she wrote her phone there it was "Concha, (206)...-..
Yeah ... that’s one of those words that has really different meanings around the countries. Conchita is a popular name in Mexico, concha is a seashell in Venezuela, and it is vulgar slang in southern South America.

Sorry about the results against Switzerland, Vicente. That's a shocker. There'll be other games, and Spain is still favored to do well.

One thing about sports with very few scoring opportunities--a single play can make a big difference. Some people like this--they believe it offers excitement. Others are uncomfortable that it reduces the importance of skill and increases the importance of luck.

MichaelB: I´m not going to justify our loss to Switzerland. All that hype kicked up by our media surely put a lot of pressure on the team. But you have noticed how disappointing -except Germany- are resulting the half dozen favourites in their first matches.
As we say around here, football is football.
We have to win on Saturday. Honduras is, on paper, an easy adversary. But so was Switzereland....

Samclem: Some of us -impenitent pesimists- feared this result if only as an irrational reaction to our overzealous media cheering, lionizing and pushing our footballers. The same media that will tear the team apart if they don´t beat Honduras on Saturday.

MichaelB: I´m not going to justify our loss to Switzerland. All that hype kicked up by our media surely put a lot of pressure on the team. But you have noticed how disappointing -except Germany- are resulting the half dozen favourites in their first matches.
As we say around here, football is football.
We have to win on Saturday. Honduras is, on paper, an easy adversary. But so was Switzereland....

Switzerland played a bit like the US did against them when they beat spain last year.

really solid in the center of defense and midfield. and containing the one effective wide player (navas) well enough. And then counterattacking
against them. Spain is not very good at recovering when the ball gets behind them.

Everybody knows how spain likes to play. If Spain doesn't change up their game a bit and become a little less predictable in their tactics they could be in trouble if they don't get early goals.

mh:

You are probably right. We are stuck with what the media calls our "engaging, charming, alluring, exciting....way of playing". A lot of people are "in love" with this style.
Thatñs all very well, but we are there to win first.....:cool:

Saw an article.... they are now blaming the ball!!!

Saying that it moves in the air different than other balls...

To me, that seems strange since you would think there would be more scoring if the keeper can not figure out where it is going...

Last night when I watching a recap of the Brazil-North Korea match on TV they mentioned that the NK fans in the crowd were Chinese folks paid by NK's leader to attend and waive NK flags and banners.

Sounds about right.:(

To me, that seems strange since you would think there would be more scoring if the keeper can not figure out where it is going...

Yeah, I've seen interviews where they claim that it is taking the players a while to get used to the ball, making long passes and getting it under control etc.

For some reason the Germans have been using the ball for 6 months compared to the 3 weeks the rest have had access to it. Implication being that familiarity contributed to their 4-0 demolition of Australia.

Vicente, it was an excellent match and the Swiss goal was, well, ugly. I love watching Spain play, and they are clearly the team to be reckoned with. They can still make it to the next round – lots more games to play.

Usually the best teams play very mediocre games in the first round. When they make it to the second round, with 4 wins needed to become champion., they step it up.

They said the same thing in ’06 and ’02. Then, they start scoring goals and everybody forgets about the new ball...

[FONT=&quot]ánimo Vicente que aún falta mucho :greetings10:
[/FONT]

Yeah, I've seen interviews where they claim that it is taking the players a while to get used to the ball, making long passes and getting it under control etc.

For some reason the Germans have been using the ball for 6 months compared to the 3 weeks the rest have had access to it. Implication being that familiarity contributed to their 4-0 demolition of Australia.

The MLS (USA league) and others have been using it for quite a while if i remember correctly. You could buy them in the store months and months ago. The english prem league wasn't using it because they had some kind of deal w/ (nike?). So it's the leagues that had a deal w/ other companies for footballs that have not 'seen' it.

The US thumped australia pretty well in a friendly before the world cup a week or so ago. So the real answer for the score is more likely that the aussies seem to be "troughing" just in time for the world cup

I'm glad I have not been betting on who should win. I may have had to return my big screen. Hot Hazy and Humid has moved in here so I will be watching France and Mexico this afternoon and England and Algeria tomorrow afternoon. (Go England) I have committed to build some cabinets by the end of next week so that is eating into my soccer time. Oh well I am enjoying that too as long as it stays cool in the workshop.

You guys are underestimating the victory of Switzerland against Spain. There is now a good possibility of Brazil x Spain right in the next phase.

"Rumo ao Hexa!!"

The MLS (USA league) and others have been using it for quite a while if i remember correctly. You could buy them in the store months and months ago. The english prem league wasn't using it because they had some kind of deal w/ (nike?). So it's the leagues that had a deal w/ other companies for footballs that have not 'seen' it.

The US thumped australia pretty well in a friendly before the world cup a week or so ago. So the real answer for the score is more likely that the aussies seem to be "troughing" just in time for the world cup

Thanks for the follow up explanation :)

Right now we are busy eating humble pie. And bracing ourselves against Honduras. As we say around here, now our team have "los cojones de corbata"and they´ll have to "apretar un huevo contra otro"
Anyone needs a translation:cool:? I bet Audrey doesn´t know these ones:)! Well, it woudn´t be proper language for a nice, charming lady like her:).

PS.
Haha, MichaelB and Alan won´t need any translation, them being tough and worldly:LOL:!!

Back
Top Bottom