World Cup Football/Soccer 2018

Don't know about you guys but I'm really looking forward to the Belgium-France SF today. I'd like to make a prediction but I really have no idea who is going to win. Belgium have been consistently good, apart from the blip in the first part of the game against Japan, but especially good in their last game against Brazil. And France, after an indifferent start, have played more like a team in their last two games rather than a collection of talented individuals.

For Belgium I was particularly impressed with Kevin De Bruyne against Brazil. Earlier in the tournament he wasn't playing that well but he has suddenly replicated the form we saw playing for City last year. Similarly, Lukaku and Hazard were outstanding. Watching Lukaku last year was really frustrating. He started the season well but there were long periods in the middle of the year where he didn't play that well. His first touch seemed to have deserted him. Every time the ball was passed to him it would just randomly bounce off him. On the rare occasions he was able to control the ball though he was deadly. I haven't seen that problem so far this tournament.

For France, I've been impressed by Griezmann, Giroud and Mbappe in attack and Kante in midfield. Sad to say, I haven't been too impressed by Paul Pogpa. Although he has played better than he did for United last season. To a United fan he was another big frustration last year. Often giving the ball away and other times taking so long deciding what to do with it that he was swarmed by 2-3 opposition players before he could pass it.

I think it may boil down to how the goalkeepers perform. They were both excellent against Brazil and Uruguay but not so much in their other games and I've seen both make real howlers last year for Tottenham and Chelsea.

For the England game tomorrow, my biggest concern is how Henderson will cope with both Rakitic and Modric. Southgate may play Dier alongside him and leave out Alli who has not impressed much but when he tried that in the latter stages of the Colombia game England looked a bit toothless. Perhaps he'll play Henderson on his own initially and then bring Dier in later if necessary.

Otherwise, one thing to bear in mind is that the Croatia team looked exhausted at the end of their last game, except Modric of course. If they tire as easily against England that should help Sterling and as I've mentioned here earlier if Sterling can get over his 'fear' in front of an open goal then England should be favorites.

My other concern is that Pickford's success may go to his head. In the last two games he was brilliant. I just hope he can keep that up as the England defence has had little to do so far and on a couple of occasions has looked a bit shaky.

Otherwise, one thing to bear in mind is that the Croatia team looked exhausted at the end of their last game, except Modric of course. If they tire as easily against England that should help Sterling and as I've mentioned here earlier if Sterling can get over his 'fear' in front of an open goal then England should be favorites.

I was very impressed with Croatia earlier in the tournament especially the way they played against Argentina. Going into extra time in their last two matches will play against them against England.

It'll be interesting to see how England plans to negate the midfield play of Modric and Rakitic but I think England should be the fresher of the two and should win the game.

Don't know about you guys but I'm really looking forward to the Belgium-France SF today. I'd like to make a prediction but I really have no idea who is going to win. Belgium have been consistently good, apart from the blip in the first part of the game against Japan, but especially good in their last game against Brazil. And France, after an indifferent start, have played more like a team in their last two games rather than a collection of talented individuals.

For Belgium I was particularly impressed with Kevin De Bruyne against Brazil. Earlier in the tournament he wasn't playing that well but he has suddenly replicated the form we saw playing for City last year. Similarly, Lukaku and Hazard were outstanding. Watching Lukaku last year was really frustrating. He started the season well but there were long periods in the middle of the year where he didn't play that well. His first touch seemed to have deserted him. Every time the ball was passed to him it would just randomly bounce off him. On the rare occasions he was able to control the ball though he was deadly. I haven't seen that problem so far this tournament.

For France, I've been impressed by Griezmann, Giroud and Mbappe in attack and Kante in midfield. Sad to say, I haven't been too impressed by Paul Pogpa. Although he has played better than he did for United last season. To a United fan he was another big frustration last year. Often giving the ball away and other times taking so long deciding what to do with it that he was swarmed by 2-3 opposition players before he could pass it.

I think it may boil down to how the goalkeepers perform. They were both excellent against Brazil and Uruguay but not so much in their other games and I've seen both make real howlers last year for Tottenham and Chelsea.

For the England game tomorrow, my biggest concern is how Henderson will cope with both Rakitic and Modric. Southgate may play Dier alongside him and leave out Alli who has not impressed much but when he tried that in the latter stages of the Colombia game England looked a bit toothless. Perhaps he'll play Henderson on his own initially and then bring Dier in later if necessary.

My other concern is that Pickford's success may go to his head. In the last two games he was brilliant. I just hope he can keep that up as the England defence has had little to do so far and on a couple of occasions has looked a bit shaky.

Re: Belgium and DeBruyne - I agree 100%. Belgium has an uphill battle vs France and each side's respective keepers could prove the difference. The Belgian side has been my dark horse pick all along so I'll be rooting them on. France may prove as tough an opponent as the Brazilians. But I like their chances!

DeBruyne stirred the drink, so to speak for City this past season. I'm thinking that Martinez's decision to deploy DeBruyne in what appeared to be a more forward role as the tournament progressed best suits his game. It will be interesting to see how DeBruyne lines up for their contest vs France.

Re: England. I'm going out on a very short limb by saying that they will defeat Croatia tomorrow. As you pointed out - Croatia looked spent at the conclusion of their last match.

Admitting to an up-front bias on my part as a Spurs fan - England has one of the finest goal scorers on the planet in Harry Kane. All Kane needs is a sniff around the penalty area and half a chance to finish.

No late comeback for Belgium today!

Both keepers did a great job - the goal was not one that could/should have been saved by the keeper (although it wouldn't have hurt for Belgium to have someone on the post). The first half was surprisingly entertaining football for being scoreless.

I'm thinking England will be extra charged up tomorrow with a chance to face France in the final. But it should be a good match.

Croatia a small country of 4 Million is in the cup final. What an achievement....With a Midfield of two top players (Modric and Rakitic) on the two best teams in the world (Real Madrid and Barcelona) and a supporting cast of warriors beat favorite England.

Now France will be favored in the final but Croatia might pull another upset....I will be rooting for them.

Croatia a small country of 4 Million is in the cup final. What an achievement....With a Midfield of two top players (Modric and Rakitic) on the two best teams in the world (Real Madrid and Barcelona) and a supporting cast of warriors beat favorite England.

Now France will be favored in the final but Croatia might pull another upset....I will be rooting for them.

I'm pulling for Croatia, also. On July 4, 1998 I was sitting in a train station in Skopje, Macadonia sucking down cigarettes and waiting for a train to Belgrade. The French beat Croatia that night but it was great to see a young FREE country make it to the semis of the World Cup. There was so much positive energy taking place in the Balkans during that time.

I

There is a decent sized community of French Canadian expats here in the Ojochal area.

I will be rooting for Croatia. :LOL:

2018 WC Player Awards

Although there are still two matches left to play in this WC, it might be fun to "hot-stove" on nominees for the following awards:

Golden Ball for best player

Golden Boot for top goal scorer

Golden Glove Award for best goalkeeper

Best Young Player award for best player under 21 years of age at the start of the calendar year

Kane will likely win the Golden Boot at 6 goals. Lukaku sits on 4 goals and it would take a hat trick on Saturday vs. England.

It seems that Mbappe is a shoe-in for Best Young player.

Modric of Croatia should be in the running for Golden Ball.

Golden Glove - Lloris, Subasic and Pickford come immediately to mind.
Edited to add: Courtois

Last edited:
Croatia was better than England, fair result.

Playing three straight games into extra time, I don't believe Croatia can recover for Sunday, which is 3 days away.

France will beat Croatia and win its second world cup.

Back
Top Bottom