World Cup starts tomorrow!

¡Mexico gana!

Mexico ganó por 2-0 contra Francia.

I was eating in my favorite fish bar, and was the only one in position and not too busy to see each goal on a tiny TV behind the filleting and shucking counter.

I announced them to my friend Ever and the other Mexicans working there and they put up a real cheer. I had to leave before the game was over, but I am glad to see that they held on.

Ha

Viva Mexico! Glad to see them beat the French after what happened to Ireland. It'll take a miracle for the French to make it out of the group. Vicente, you gotta be happy about that! :)

Can't wait for the US-Slovenia game tomorrow!

Mexico ganó por 2-0 contra Francia.

I was eating in my favorite fish bar, and was the only one in position and not too busy to see each goal on a tiny TV behind the filleting and shucking counter.
Ha
Así se ve el fútbol. Con una cerveza, ¿verdad?

Spanish is easy. I know a few words, and lots of other words look similar to their English counterparts

means "Appreciate the eggs, contrary to otters".
Better practice a bit before your next trip to a mexican restaurant or you're gonna be really surprised at what they serve you...:D

Que lastima, pero no la tomo antes de las cinco. Solo almejas y café. :)

Ha

Watched the whole England vs Algeria game. Algeria gets a plus for defense. England was pretty lame at the start and could never really keep up sustained pressure. A few flashes of better play gives hope for next week.

The US was robbed! Man, what a terrible referee.

It is interesting how the games are going for the US... a goal that should not have been.. with an exciting game

Then another exciting game (coming back from 2 down) and what appeared to be a winning goal... but not...

NOW... they have to win the last one to advance... And England has to win to advance also...

they have to win the last one to advance... And England has to win to advance also...

The US has better chance to advance than England since they have more goals :)
Very exciting game indeed - I watched the matched twice.
Go USA.

Better practice a bit before your next trip to a mexican restaurant or you're gonna be really surprised at what they serve you...:D

MichaelB: I´m sure Samclem was pulling our legs with his bizarre translation....:D

MichaelB: I´m sure Samclem was pulling our legs with his bizarre translation....
clip_image001.gif
Sure. Just in case, though, you know, ‘cause he might walk into a tough mexican cantina down along the border and think about ordering some bacon and eggs for breakfast...:LOL:

Que lastima, pero no la tomo antes de las cinco. Solo almejas y café.
clip_image002.gif
Amigo Ha, ud. tiene razón. Lo dije sin pensar – yo también espero hasta la noche para tomar mi copita de vino (o dos). Es lo que mas me fastidia de esta copa mundial – el horario de juego (US).

It has been an excellent tournament so far. Congratulations to the 8 teams that have qualified. A special thanks to the French team for its entertainment value. Quarterfinals are:

Uruguay vs Ghana

Netherlands vs Brazil

Argentina vs Germany

Paraguay vs Spain

I think it will be Uruguay, Brazil, Argentina, and Spain, then Brazil vs Argentina, Argentina wins.

It has been an excellent tournament so far. Congratulations to the 8 teams that have qualified. A special thanks to the French team for its entertainment value. Quarterfinals are:

Uruguay vs Ghana

Netherlands vs Brazil

Argentina vs Germany

Paraguay vs Spain

I think it will be Uruguay, Brazil, Argentina, and Spain, then Brazil vs Argentina, Argentina wins.

I have Germany beating Argentina in my bracket... but do have Uruguay, Brazil and Spain... I think it is then Brazil vs Spain.... Brazil...

I have a close friend who is Dutch and an avid supporter of Netherlands so at this point I have to hope for Netherlands.
As far as predictions go I think we will watch Netherlands defeated by Brazil in a good game. Uruguay will win, Germany will win and Spain will win. Then Germany vs Brazil - Germany. If Netherlands gets past Brazil they will win the cup.
Note I have a bad bad record in predictions of this sort.

I think Spain will beat Paraguay. But after that.... I don´t share our very optimistic media as to us being at the final match.

Here's how the WSJ described the [play leading to Uruguay's victory over Ghana:

JOHANNESBURG — Uruguay is back in the World Cup semifinals. The little country had to cheat big-time to get there, but that's another matter.

In an epic quarterfinal Friday that hinged on a blatant handball, Uruguay defeated Ghana on penalty kicks after a 1-1 draw to reach the semifinals. Uruguay striker Luis Suárez swatted away a sure Ghanaian goal at the end of extra time, drawing a red card and a penalty kick, but Ghana's Asamoah Gyan's ball hit the crossbar. Uruguay went on to win on penalty kicks, improbably returning to the semifinals for the first time since 1970 despite being one of the sport's smallest countries.
It doesn't seem to me that what Suarez did was cheating. He apparently made a very rational assessment of the cost/benefit from breaking a rule and accepting the likely penalty, then decided (correctly) that breaking it was the right thing to do for his team. If soccer fans don't like the way it was done, then they should push for a change in the penalty structure.

Now, maybe it wasn't great sportsmanship, but I certainly wouldn't characterize it as cheating. Anyway, after seeing the acting when a player gets bumped on the leg and then falls down in agony clutching his face and wailing like a schoolgirl, I'm not sure that sportsmanship is a consideration in this game, either.

It seemed like a perfectly rational thing to do.

It certainly was rational to break the rules as Suarez did, and it was a calculated cost-benefit analysis (last seconds of the game, certain goal to occur, so I'll hand-ball the ball from going into the goal since I can't head it out -- the penalty for that gets me kicked from the game with a red-card and who cares if I can't play the next game). But I don't see what Suarez did to be anything different from Maradona's famous hand of god play (or that of French Striker's Henry's recent hand of god that qualified France at the expense of Ireland for this World Cup). If the referee didn't see Suarez's hand ball would we not call Suarez's actions tantamount to cheating?

I don't begrude Suarez for his actions and I don't believe he stole a win from Ghana, as Ghana did not close the deal with the PK. The fact that Suarez paid the price for his actions does not diminish the fact that he violated a cardinal rule of soccer by intentionally committing a handball to prevent a certain goal.

I hope after this World Cup that FIFA makes appropriate changes so that goal line technology is used to prevent the Refs from making bad decisions regarding obvious goals and cheating a team from a goal (balls that cross the goal line as in the UK-Germany match) and that for situations like Suarez (where the defender is actually on the goal line or in the box and handballs away a goal) the rules provide for an automatic goal, red card and expulsion from continued World Cup play.

Here's how the WSJ described the [play leading to Uruguay's victory over Ghana:

It doesn't seem to me that what Suarez did was cheating. He apparently made a very rational assessment of the cost/benefit from breaking a rule and accepting the likely penalty, then decided (correctly) that breaking it was the right thing to do for his team. If soccer fans don't like the way it was done, then they should push for a change in the penalty structure.

Now, maybe it wasn't great sportsmanship, but I certainly wouldn't characterize it as cheating. Anyway, after seeing the acting when a player gets bumped on the leg and then falls down in agony clutching his face and wailing like a schoolgirl, I'm not sure that sportsmanship is a consideration in this game, either.

I agree... if he did not handle the ball... it was a goal and time over... sure, he was thrown out and thought he had lost the game for his team... but in reality it was lost IF he did not do what he did... very interesting finish I have to say...

And.... I am way off on the picks... Brazil does an own goal... and then a guy stomps on an opponent and gets tossed... game over...

I think it is now the Netherlands to win...

It certainly was rational to break the rules as Suarez did, and it was a calculated cost-benefit analysis (last seconds of the game, certain goal to occur, so I'll hand-ball the ball from going into the goal since I can't head it out -- the penalty for that gets me kicked from the game with a red-card and who cares if I can't play the next game). But I don't see what Suarez did to be anything different from Maradona's famous hand of god play (or that of French Striker's Henry's recent hand of god that qualified France at the expense of Ireland for this World Cup). If the referee didn't see Suarez's hand ball would we not call Suarez's actions tantamount to cheating?

I don't begrude Suarez for his actions and I don't believe he stole a win from Ghana, as Ghana did not close the deal with the PK. The fact that Suarez paid the price for his actions does not diminish the fact that he violated a cardinal rule of soccer by intentionally committing a handball to prevent a certain goal.

I hope after this World Cup that FIFA makes appropriate changes so that goal line technology is used to prevent the Refs from making bad decisions regarding obvious goals and cheating a team from a goal (balls that cross the goal line as in the UK-Germany match) and that for situations like Suarez (where the defender is actually on the goal line or in the box and handballs away a goal) the rules provide for an automatic goal, red card and expulsion from continued World Cup play.

I will agree with you on the goals... something needs to be done... and possibly even a couple of sideline reviews options like in football... like today.. I think it was the second game... the ball was struck at the net and the goaltender hit it into the side of the net... but it was not seen... IF the coach wanted to challenge... he can use one of his X (2:confused: 3)... calls... he might do that because a corner is something you want...

I disagree with you on the handball... the penalty is already one of the harshest in the game... a red card... and a PK... there are hand balls in the box which might not have scored... sure, this one was easy... but not all calls are that easy.... and you do have handballs that are not planned... I think it was England who got called for one... the guy kicked it so hard the defender could not move and it hit his arm...

Just like football... they do not give you the touchdown if you got a penalty... now, they do in basketball on a goal tend.... but their score is so high that it can be made up easier... one goal in soccer can be the game... sooooo, you make your PK, you get the goal.... easy...

Rules. Sometimes they work, other times they suck. The fact is Uruguay moves on, Ghana goes home, and Suarez won’t be traveling to Africa anytime soon. He will be remembered for years as a hero in Uruguay and a lout in Ghana.

Anybody remember Maradona’s “hand of God” goal that allowed Argentina to beat England in the ’86 cup?

I think FIFA is afraid of technology. It must be a personal thing – how it affects the governing body and their personal grip or influence. Far too many bad calls over the years that have changed the outcome of the games played.

I disagree with you on the handball... the penalty is already one of the harshest in the game... a red card... and a PK... there are hand balls in the box which might not have scored... sure, this one was easy... but not all calls are that easy.... and you do have handballs that are not planned... I think it was England who got called for one... the guy kicked it so hard the defender could not move and it hit his arm...

Just like football... they do not give you the touchdown if you got a penalty... now, they do in basketball on a goal tend.... but their score is so high that it can be made up easier... one goal in soccer can be the game... sooooo, you make your PK, you get the goal.... easy...

A red card, PK and disqualification from the next game as a penalty in the Suarez situation (the defender is behind the goal line and hand balls a certain goal) is simply not good enough especially on the last play of the game with the game tied. That's a huge injustice. Not talking about a hand ball in the box, but one from inside the goal line done intentionally. I think Refs should have discretion in cases like Suarez to give an automatic goal or TKO the violator by awarding the game to the other side -- that to me is fair.

Back
Top Bottom