Would you be nervous in my neighborhood?

I
What always impressed me the few times when I saw street crime was how very fast it happens, and how the situation may appear ambiguous until it is too late to do much. I just try to keep my senses open and fade anything that looks odd.

The attacker always has the advantage - surprise, subterfuge, place, time, weapons. The most important aspect of keeping safe is being aware of your surroundings and if something doesn't feel right get out of there.

Also, if I am wearing quiet shoes I always try to cough or make some innocuous noise before I overtake a woman walking or standing at a traffic light, so as to not giver her a scare.

Ha
How very kind of you. I wish more people thought the way that you do. We all need to be more kind and thoughtful to each other. Thank you.

Also, if I am wearing quiet shoes I always try to cough or make some innocuous noise before I overtake a woman walking or standing at a traffic light, so as to not giver her a scare.

Ha
I find myself doing the same thing, even in stores. I'm fairly tall so I suppose that is even more scarey for the unsuspecting :blush:.
I've even tried whistling a few times :whistle: but that's kind of dorky, IMO, so I revert to the cough, unless the local media has been running stories about this outbreak or that outbreak. Right now I'm thinking about that palm in armpit noise thing. I did that in high school :angel:

If a man is behind me and does not want to startle me, I prefer a subtle shaking of maracas. If he looks limber enough, a dance may ensue.

No man should be without maracas....:whistle:

By Dex... The answer to your fears:

The moral of that video is, never take a knife to gunfight.
coolsmiley.gif

The attacker always has the advantage - surprise, subterfuge, place, time, weapons. The most important aspect of keeping safe is being aware of your surroundings and if something doesn't feel right get out of there.

Very true. One of the reasons I prefer to live in a very small town. Less hassle, you know most folks.
I don't like cities.
Specifically it is my nature to look all people I encounter in the eyes, even if momentarily. In the a city with lots of folks this ends up being a lot of work. Takes all the fun out of a stroll. Not to mention many people find it distressing. It seems city people walk around with a fixed gaze froward, avoiding any eye contact, pretending that that makes them anonymous.

I'm always aware of who is around me, how people walk, their posture, position of hands etc. A long ago acquired skill of "space conditioning". Though in our small town strangers and tourists stick out like a sore thumb.

In our small town a stroll is pleasant, say hello to most, people smile at each other.

I've been in LE in a major city for 27 years. If you knew what animals come out from under rocks at 4:00 am you would never leave the house. Honestly, pepper spray is for salads, just a little to give it some flavor. Buy a small handgun and learn to use it. Don't leave the house without it. If you use it in self defense because you were in fear of losing your life the most that is going to happen is you will spend a night in jail, pay a small fine, and lose the gun. Small price to pay to be alive. Problem occurs when you want to threaten someone over a parking space.

Back
Top Bottom