Yahoo finance new format is useless.

I think many sites have morphed themselves to become mobile friendly, which is fine, but they often choose the dreaded one-size-fits-all-screens approach.

Yahoo historical is still working OK. The only source I know of for decent long term historical data sets.

The Yahoo app on my phone works OK for a short list of quotes. I agree that the timestamp would be nice to have.

Other data sources I've used are Schwab app and Morningstar portfolio view.

Agreed. No wonder the CEO is only getting a measly 23 million dollars severance after the sale to Verizon is over. :rolleyes:
Sometimes I wonder if CEOs like Ms Mayer have found a tricky way (through a shell/cut-out?) to short their company's stock. It's the only explanation that explains what we see.

Last edited:
Sometimes I wonder if CEOs like Ms Mayer have found a tricky way (through a shell/cut-out?) to short their company's stock. It's the only explanation that explains wheat we see.

My (pure) guess is that Yahoo teams were being picked off by the competition for talent. It is tough to maintain a lot of legacy code. Who looks over the developer's shoulders to make sure there are plenty of comments in the code and that it is maintainable?

So if a company cannot pay enough to keep people around on older products, there could be problems. Then the new people coming in find it easier to redesign then to patch the old stuff. Besides that is more fun then just maintenance.

In the past I was able to use a link like:
https://finance.yahoo.com/quotes/IJH,IJT,PYVLX,DNP,HSFNX
to get a list of the closing prices of the symbols I was following. I could copy and paste the web page to an excel spreadsheet and extract the data. All I had to do is to make sure that all of the closing prices had been updated for today.

With their new format this is no longer possible. Their market time is now only the time and does not include the date. If you look at the list at 6:12 PM EDT and see a closing time of 6:10, was that the close for today, or was that the time it closed yesterday?

Also, the new format has check boxes next to the symbol and the actual symbol is no longer available with a copy and paste.

Since yahoo finance is now useless, can I ask the group where they go to look at closing prices for the day?
This works.

Code:
http://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=IJH,IJT,PYVLX,DNP,HSFNX&f=p

Put that in your URL, hit enter, and .csv file will download. If .csv is associated with Excel application on your computer, it will open with Excel when you double click (or open). Maybe one click will work.

Yahoo is still as powerful as always. Just need to adapt with the times.

Some references to help you with the .csv API for Yahoo.

Getting Started with the Yahoo Finance API - Wern Ancheta

Using the Yahoo Finance API for CSV « Jarloo

Yahoo finance isn't the easiest and/or most intuitive stock tracker I've seen, but for the price (free) it's not that bad. I've been using Yahoo since the mid 90's and actually use it more today than ever. My custom views include all of the Dow stocks and about 50 others I watch closely. Not perfect but works pretty well for me.

For tracking, details, info, etc on my actual holdings, I just use my Schwab account and their tools.

Yahoo was messed up waaay before Marissa Mayer took over.

Yahoo was messed up waaay before Marissa Mayer took over.

I did not think so.... it might not have been good financially, but I think the content was good and the way it was laid out in the various screens worked for me... since she took over, not so much... and yes, it was after she came when I started to notice the negative changes...

Yahoo has systematically destroyed its entire product, including the finance section. They could not have done a more thorough job even if they had set out to do exactly that. Amazing, really.

They are using the J.C. Penny business model.

Just adding to this thread....

Went to look at Yahoo finance this morning and the custom view is not working!!!

I have it set up to look at my daily gains and total gains with pct. gains... all of them show nothing...

Seems like they want to keep making the customer experience the worst possible...

Yep, I've been tracking my annual portfolio changes for years. And now it's a mess. I am trying google. Someone should tell yahoo to visit this page!

I go to Yahoo Finance every day, but just to see how the Dow and S&P are doing. That function is still nicely available to me. I don't keep my portfolio information there; never have, because of privacy concerns.

I have a Vanguard "Watch List" that tells me the share price of my five Vanguard funds each day. It takes about 10 seconds if that, to type those five numbers into Excel.

I just stick to mutual funds. I'd go nuts following a bazillion individual stocks and I am happy with my mutual funds.

Just as an FYI.... Yahoo for tablets is pretty bad also....

I have a feed on my Yahoo favorites that still has info on the bad water for the Brazil Olympics!!!! I have tried to delete it many times but it will not allow me....

What is interesting to me is that the tablet view and the computer view can be wildly different...

I'd say all of Yahoo is worthless including finance. Their recent changes, with zero announcements, makes me seek out alternatives.

I'd say all of Yahoo is worthless including finance. Their recent changes, with zero announcements, makes me seek out alternatives.

What are some of the alternatives you use? I hate Google as a matter of principle... CNN does not work well... I think you have to pay for CNBC.. and does anybody remember Excite where I still have an email account? They are pretty bad with pop ups....

I would love to find a better place but have not so far...

I've be pleased with:

Morningstar – Independent Investment Research

edit to add: I apologize that the above is not a link, but you can go through Google to get to the site.

Last edited:
What are some of the alternatives you use? I hate Google as a matter of principle... CNN does not work well... I think you have to pay for CNBC.. and does anybody remember Excite where I still have an email account? They are pretty bad with pop ups....

I would love to find a better place but have not so far...
What is the principle? :)

Well, there are a number of Yahoo threads talking about how bad they are..

So, I wanted to add a security to my portfolio... but it will not let me!!! A screen kinda comes up but not all the way and no place for me to put in the new ticker...

Hopefully things will start to improve now that it has a new owner... but I still wait...

Back
Top Bottom