Younger Next Year Type Book for 20 Year Old?

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Anyone know of a good motivational book similar to Younger Next Year, but appropriate for a 20 year old woman?

Body for life for women . If you are thinking of giving this to your daughter think again she may be insulted as young women are about their bodies and cry all Christmas . Put down the book and reach for the Gap gift card . Believe me you will have a happier holiday .

Anyone know of a good motivational book similar to Younger Next Year, but appropriate for a 20 year old woman?

Al, a 20 year old woman wants to be older next year. Exactly one year older, so she can get honestly smashed with her friends in a bar, with her very own ID.

Ha

:D:D:D Good one, Haha.

You're right Moemg, I'm planning a talk with my daughter. I wouldn't give the book as a Christmas present though. Current thinking is that towards the end of the vacation, I bring up the topic carefully as a health issue, and if she's at all receptive, I give her a book.

I realize that this is an area filled with landmines. She's been steadily adding some pounds, and DW and I are thinking we've ignored the elephant in the room long enough ;). I'm sure she knows we notice, so maybe we should get it in the open. ??

This is partially my sister's fault. I gave her Younger Next Year, and she's been thanking me ever since (e.g. "Al, I've got to hand it to you, this book has really changed my life...").

Perhaps she's totally aware of it, and working on the problem. OTOH, perhaps the problem is below her radar. For example, I've seen her fill a 12 oz glass with egg nog and drink it all.

I am ready for your advice.

Please tread very carefully here, TAl. If your daughter has a weight issue, believe me, every time she looks into the mirror or puts on her jeans, she knows she has it. If you want to help her, I suggest you encourage her to talk about any stresses or problems she might be having with school or work or whatever rather than pointing out her weight outright.

My daughter -- who's never had a weight problem -- developed an eating disorder several years ago when she was riding/showing horses competitively. Another mom made a "helpful" comment about her appearance and next thing I knew, DD was bulimic. Fortunately, her doctor helped her get her head straight after several months, but it was a terrifying time.

We gave our daughter a cool heart rate monitor for Christmas--and it's a watch, too. If your daughter does any kind of cardio (even walking) she might like that. You could give one to your wife and to your daughter (or your wife could give you one!).

Is this the daughter who is graduating this spring? If she is just now putting on a few lbs., she surely does know it, and you surely don't love her any less for it. DD put on a few in college (possibly the beer has something to do with it? :) ) and DH and I never ever ever mentioned it to her--she's perfectly fit and has a cute little figure now as it happens.

Al , Most young women gain weight during college and it is not due to egg nog more like keg parties and pizza. Unless she is extremely obese let it go she'll figure it out when she starts working and meeting hot single guys . You have said you want your daughter to be independent well this is part of it . Just serve her healthy food while she visits and enjoy her company she'll be totally off on her own soon enough. You could always leave a book around and say it is your wives or yours and maybe she'll read it .

Yes, that's good advice, and good ideas (HRM watch and book lying around). I think maybe I won't say anything. She's probably noticing that we're "not saying anything."

Yes, she's graduating this spring.

Yes, that's good advice, and good ideas (HRM watch and book lying around). I think maybe I won't say anything. She's probably noticing that we're "not saying anything."

Yes, she's graduating this spring.

Good for you Al you are mastering the most important parental skill of young adults "Zipping It ". Last year my daughter was pregnant and she took eating for two seriously and so many times I wanted to say watch out it is hard to lose that weight but I zipped it . Her baby is now nine months old and she is back to her former size and even had the nerve to give me the Fit for life book which I read and sold on amazon .

UPDATE: Jenny headed back to college yesterday. I successfully kept my mouth zipped, and we all had a great time together.

I had the Body for Life book around, and I know she looked at it, but I don't think that she read much of it.

She really is about 15 pounds above her ideal weight, but is pretty fit in general. We went on one forty-mile and two fifty-mile bike rides together. She was huffing and puffing on hills for which I wasn't even breathing hard, but that was reversed when we were swimming at the pool.

I'm not sure she sees weight as an issue, but I'll take your words for it.

She's taking a three times/week spinning class next semester in addition to her three times/week water polo practices.

Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom