Your biggest splurge of all time

Down to 2 mandolins now. Sold 2 a couple of months ago and just kept my Gibson 1924 F4...paid $4800 for that a number of years ago. Although if you really want to spend money look up how much the old Loar F5's go for...6 figures and up. Just bought a new electric solid body 5 string mando for $1500 (plus $200 for a small amp) as a bit of an experiment.

I mostly splurge on gadgets that I could live without. Here are the splurges that I can remember over the past 6-7 years

Bad splurges

1. Roomba; I thought this would be a neat toy - it broke after a few months, impossible to get a return from the company. what a horrible waste of money.
  2. Windows Smart Phone (made by HTC) - I swapped this for a samsung 'dumb' phone after a year and never looked back.
  3. Nintendo Wii - this was a bad splurge because it only gets used 2-5 times a year; definitely something we could have done without.
Good splurges ("good" as in I could live without it but I am happy that I have it and use it frequently)

1. Garmin GPS for the car.
  2. TiVo Series II
  3. 42" Plasma TV last year (to replace my dying 2nd hand PAL TV bought from someone moving back to Singapore)
TBD

1. This year's splurge is on a new hunting rifle and scope; I'll let you know in another 5-10 years how much use I really got out of it.

Ordered this with all the options I wanted and got it direct from the factory in 2006.

Big splurge, yes - but, it's paid for!

Still loving it...

Marilyn

Attachments

• 2006SilverBMW.jpg
    2006SilverBMW.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 153
I spent $13,000 on an aircraft in 2003. Not very expensive by aviation standards but still a lot of scratch for a single purpose toy that I only used in the best weather. I did fulfill a life long dream of flying my own plane off my own private airstrip. I sold it a few years later after realizing how little I got to fly it when working around unpleasant/hazardous weather conditions, work schedule etc.

In the future, I'll likely just rent a plane occasionally to scratch the itch :D

A 2009 Nissan Murano LE. It's to replace my company vehicle that went away as well as a combination 60th birthday and retirement gift to myself.

Larry

9 more days, but who's counting.

My biggest splurge

Hands down, it was all my finances and resources, which I shared 50-50 with DW, in the new trust we had written. It certainly simplified things.:whistle:

None, I guess I'm not the "splurgy" type........:)

Oh wait, I bought a new power washer at Sam's CLub for $149.88, because my 7 year old one sprung a huge leak in the water pump and the part alone was $88 plus shipping to fix it..........:( Does that count?

Ordered this with all the options I wanted and got it direct from the factory in 2006.

Big splurge, yes - but, it's paid for!

Still loving it...

Marilyn

528i??

Definitely 3-series. I'm guessing it's a 330i?

Edit: My biggest recent splurge was a trip last year to Maui for my wife's 40th. In hindsight, it was stupid: now we want to go there every year! All kidding aside, it was a fantastic trip, and well worth the expense.

Dell mini 10v for 299 dollars

Starbucks latte

Dinner at Bonefish

Next splurge with be the Buffet at the Wynn.

jug

None, I guess I'm not the "splurgy" type........:)

Oh wait, I bought a new power washer at Sam's CLub for $149.88, because my 7 year old one sprung a huge leak in the water pump and the part alone was $88 plus shipping to fix it..........:( Does that count?

I'm still mad at you for selling the awesome car to go to college! :confused:
:flowers:

$300 apiece for tickets to a Paul McCartney concert.

Worth it just to hear Eleanor Rigby live...

Best fathers day ever:greetings10:

Attachments

• airstream father's day.jpg
    airstream father's day.jpg
    667.5 KB · Views: 5
This is sort of like a confessional thread for all of us LBYMer's :D What's something that you bought that even spenders would think you were crazy for buying?
My wife. Technically, I didn't actually buy - more like a unlimited term rental. 30+ years later and I'm still paying. If I had invested all that money ... well, I'm just not gonna think 'bout it. :angel:

Another Airstreamer! :) And for Father's Day--awesome!
I have a 1976 Argosy 28' coach. A couple of others here have trailers.
Tons of fun--hope you enjoy it!
What year? What length?

Back
Top Bottom