Your biggest splurge of all time

Boats -- 24' pontoon which I later sold to buy a 21' Carolina Skiff

Lately, a couple of kayaks made of kevlar -- very lightweight, but also somewhat expensive at around $2k.

Around 1999, with 5 years of seeing my wealth shoot up due to stock options, and barely changing my spending habits at all, I told a couple of friends that when I hit a certain financial goal, I'd get a Honda S2000. It didn't take long, but when I hit that goal, I did more research and decided I liked the 1st gen Miata better, so I got a lightly used one. So even though it was a totally unnecessary fun splurge, I only spent about 40% of what I had planned. I still have it and love driving it.

Gosh, I have a list of dumb purchases:

1. Honeymoon in St Thomas with 1st wife. Divorced five years later. I won't mention the $1,400 diamond ring in 1977....

2. New 4WD Chevy pickup truck in 1985. In 18 years I drove it 52k miles, but did really enjoy it. Should have bought a used one.

Five years ago I took my mother ,my aunt ,my daughter and my two sisters on a cruise to Bermuda . We had a blast and a lifetime of memories from that trip . It was money well spent .

I've posted mine before...

Attachments

• Splurge.jpg
    Splurge.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 6
Guess it would be the $20,000 I gave my 2 daughters for weddings. Spent $10,000 of my own money on 1st daughter's wedding, and told the second daughter she'd get the same (they were both around 30 when they got married). Loaned 3rd daughter $20,000 over a period of a few years to get her Master's, and she ran up $60,000 in school loans and $15,000 in credit cards also. So I guess when she gets married I'll be asking her for at least $10,000 since she has never paid me back anything.

In 1993 I bought a Bernina 1090 sewing machine for $1443. She is beautiful.

1.800 bucks for an electric bycicle. after having paid 1.100 for another one from whic I took a fall.

Most recent and coming soon to a theatre near you...12 day Grand Mediterranean cruise with dh2b
for our honeymoon-before-the-license. :cool: Bass ackwards can be fun sometimes!

It took us over a year to save up for it. :D

Probably daughter's wedding, just another big old bucket of money in the splurgorama of raising children for us.

(Wait, did you say a three-carat diamond ring, bbam? NICE!)

Bought one of these in 1994. Still have it, sitting in the safe deposit box. Picture borrowed from the Bay.

img_827916_0_f66297dd06907dabc4f8c9b80e04515a.jpg

Beautiful watch but, Goodness, it could pay off my mortgage!:LOL:

DW's biggest splurge: her Rolex watch.
My biggest splurge: my collection of silver "antiques".

Private plane ride, from NY to IND. Cost about $12,000 for only a three or four hour flight.

We were going to be stuck in NY for several days because of flight cancellations and such due to weather.

Had just sold that business so figured what the hell, once in a lifetime experience.

Was actually very cool. Would love to be able to afford it all the time.

Actually, another "splurge" of mine is when I paid $1,600 to buy a "penny" back in 2004. It was the last coin I needed to complete a collection I started when I was about 10 (it was an Indian head cent dated 1877, which is the rarest date in the series). My wife thought I was nuts, but to her credit she never started throwing things and I did cut back on my "discretionary stuff" budget for a few months to "pay for it."

But today it rests comfortably in an collectors album with the rest of the collection in a safe deposit box, and by itself it would fetch close to $3,000 on the market now. So unlike the last splurge I mentioned, I'm getting value here. So far. :)

Oh, yeah, how can I forget? I haven't totaled it up, but I probably spent $7-8K on a 3 week Europe-by-rail trip with DD, for her HS graduation present (a year late, because she got sick last summer). We just got back from it a couple weeks ago, had a blast. Stayed in hostels and pensions and such to keep the cost down.

Doggone Rich, that is a big ole step up from the van you brought to Charleston just a few short years ago. Now you are too fancy for me to even park next to! Good one!
You and the Astromeria family showed us such a good time, we decided to upgrade in preparation for our next James Island visit.

Speaking of whom... any news (PM if you prefer)?

My 1994 Miata which I bought brand new. Hey, I was freezing my butt of riding a bicycle in snow storms in Michigan, and I was moving out to California. It was expensive because I ended driving that car for only 56k miles before selling it in 2006. However, some of the memories of ferrying hot blonds in hot shorts around both in Michigan and California were priceless. Let's just say that some minivan drivers got pretty green eyed.

Hehe, now I drive a minivan, and you know what, as long as you keep your ego in check, the van's pretty darn useful though my next car in a couple of years probably won't be a minivan again. With so many good cross overs and sport wagons around, why drive a nerdy van?

Oh, yeah, how can I forget? I haven't totaled it up, but I probably spent $7-8K on a 3 week Europe-by-rail trip with DD, for her HS graduation present (a year late, because she got sick last summer). We just got back from it a couple weeks ago, had a blast. Stayed in hostels and pensions and such to keep the cost down.

That trip will be priceless in memories with your daughter . I travelled a few times with my daughter and we had a blast . I highly recommend it .

That trip will be priceless in memories with your daughter . I travelled a few times with my daughter and we had a blast . I highly recommend it .
No doubt there. It was a very worthwhile splurge.

Approximately $5000 for a trip to South America about 10 years ago. It was worth it.

Two years ago I went on safari in Tanzania. It cost about $6000 for two weeks once all the details were added in. Fulfilled a lifelong dream to see the wildlife, especially lions! Best money I ever spent.

My current biggest splurge: Netflix's "6 DVD's out at one time." If feels rich to be able to select from 3-6 choices any given night. And, it's still a kick receiving the DVD's in the mail--almost like getting a present 3-4 times a week.

2k lost in sportsbetting last year. (Ill get it back this year:blush:)

Back
Top Bottom