Your Earliest Childhood Memories?

This thread made me take a peek at the few pics I have when I was a child. I ran across this one...seems like I remember sucking my pacifier that day....:LOL:

I knew it! bbamI has been wearing boots for a LOOOONNNG time!

I am so surprised at how many people report having no memories, or only fragmentary memories of their early lives. How unsettling it must be to not have continuous early memories. Imagine not being able to remember anything in your 20's, or just remembering one or two things from that decade. It would seem like part of your life had been stolen from you. I would feel the same if I did not have continuous memories of my toddlerhood and babyhood. Not that those were such great times, or that these memories were so significant, but they were part of my life just as much as any other part of my life.

I even remember more from Berkeley in the 1960's than some can remember from their pre-school days. :D

Last edited:
My earliest memory is probably age 4 or 5. I decided I wanted to help my Mom around the house so I cleaned the bathroom for her. I expected her to be so happy, but much to my surprise she yelled at me because I didn't wear gloves when cleaning the toilet....must be why I still hate cleaning the bathroom to this day! :ROFLMAO:

I might have given the wrong impression when I said that I do not remember the names of my teachers in elementary or high school. No, I do not remember details like that. But I also do not remember the phone numbers of my family members. I know my own phone number because I have had it for 20 years.

But I do have somewhat continuous memories of my life since I was about 5. I had a fairly good childhood. In an earlier post, I bragged about reading the excellent The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, not really understanding it, but recalled the sad ending at the Berlin Wall when I reread it years later in adulthood. I first read it when I was about 7.

I am amazed that people can remember when they were 3 or younger; I couldn't remember a thing before 4. For example, I knew we lived in a different house when I was younger than 4, and perhaps my parents moved when I was around 3. Yet, I did not remember a thing about the previous house. Note the past tense. I remember that I was not able to recall memories of the previous home, when told about it at the age of less than 10. There were no photos to jog my memories, but if there were I suspect it would not help either.

It was dark, and I was floating inside this big kind of water balloon thing...

I had ear issues and had to get tubes a few times. I must have been 3 or 4 year old but my mom took me to get the tubes that morning (she worked nights) and a nurse came in and gave me a cup of stuff to drink to make me sleepy. After I drank it I sat down in the chair and my mom sat down in the hospital bed.
The doctor came in 20 minutes later to take me up stairs to get my tubes put in and my mom my sleeping and I was wide awake. I remember there being a big discussion with the nurse and doctor then getting a shot and everything went dark.

I remember some of the strangest stuff. Stuff like faces and names are hard for me to remember.

I remember being disappointed one Christmas as I didn't get the particular type of old western pistol I had asked Santa for. Probably age 4 and I also remember the doc making house calls to give me shots for tonsillitis. You know that was a long time ago, in the 1950's. Ended up having the doc yanking them out when I was in the first grade. I also remember going back to school for the first time after that and my class mates welcoming me back like I was some kind of hero or something.:D Funny how you remember things like that.

My earliest memories are also linked to kindergarten, actually to pre-kindergarten. I remember a lot of fuss when I blew the whistle to my buds that the Santa who showed up at our school Christmas party was actually Buddy Fink, the old guy who lived across the street from me.

It could have been worse . The guy who played Santa at our school was my Dad .:(

Its interesting, I have a lot of memories before starting kindergarten @5 but they are not in any organized structure. I remember being on a ferry boat and I thought I was 2 but Mom says that trip was when I was 4. Lots of toys, games, being carried by my father. Not at 5 everything is pretty well recalled and systematic. Wonder if there is something about the structure of school or being about 5 that sets a time structure for memories.

It's funny; I keep seeing everyone talk about kindergarten. I certainly know what it is, but I don't think kindergarten was available in my town when I was a little girl. I started the first grade in August of 1963 at the age of 5 and turned 6 that November.

Now I think kids go to 'school' two years before they start the first grade. Bless their hearts.

I did a half-day kindergarten in the public school down the block and across the street.

I went to grades 1 - 7 in the Catholic school 4 blocks the other way.

I think half-day was the norm for those who went.

ta,
mew

My dad died when I was 18 months. I don't remember him at all, but I have many memories stored away from before I was 5. Now, if those things happened when I was 2,3,4 or 5, I don't really know. I remember living in a very small town (200 pop.) and my dad's dog. I remember an old man across the alley locking me in his wood shed to scar the heck out of me. I remember scaring my mother by running off with a neighbor kid and playing in the community church, with no one knowing where we were. I remember going to town on Saturday nights during the hot summers and watching out door movies on the community movie screen. All kinds of memories.

What I have trouble remembering is when my daughter was in grade school. My husband worked at night during some of those years and I can't remember what my daughter and I did after work/school during that time.:nonono: My mind is a complete blank. Daughter would remember tho.

It could have been worse . The guy who played Santa at our school was my Dad .:(

I thought there is a law against that kind of cruelty to children. :D

Wonder if there is something about the structure of school or being about 5 that sets a time structure for memories.

It might be simply that 5 is the age when a typical child can retain some coherent memory from day to day, in order to learn the basic alphabet and counting. My daughter was a fast learner. She could count and recite part of the alphabet when she was more than 3, or perhaps closer to 4, if I remember correctly. She was running and talking at her 1st birthday!

Now, for people who said they could remember back to a very young age, do you really remember learning to say "Pa" and "Ma"? Maybe that's pushing it. ;) I certainly do not remember when I started to learn the alphabet.

I remember when reading 'clicked' - and that was before school.

I think a lot of early memories are a matter of how impressed you were, and if you were asked 'do you remember xxx?" when younger, that might keep the memories towards the top of the pile, or if you saw pictures when younger and thought "Oh, yeah, that was when ..."

Add in individual variation - I have a very strong memory for some things, but not names - still am not great with them ...

ta,
mew

Man! I guess I just have to take your word for it.

By the way, lack of childhood memories indicated trauma usually in the person's life (death, divorce, abandonment, etc.). FYI. Doesn't mean anything is wrong with you--just that you experienced some trauma during that period of your life.

That explains my lack of remembering of the years before my mom died. I was 5 years old, and the last thing I remember is how yellow my mom's skin looked from jaundice, right before my dad took her to the hospital and I never saw her alive after that.........:(

Undergoing plastic surgery. Must have been 4 years old. I was in Newcastle on Tyne, England.

And then there are a few unfortunate folks who recall it all...

Jill Price, the woman who remembers everything - Times Online
I can personally relate to this woman's predicament, but on a much lesser level. TG!
A natural ability and all those years of memorizing scientific equations and constants has left me with very keen mental recall.
It is no effort for me to "playback" visual scenes of good (and bad) life events in my head. I do not do this as a "parlor trick".
It can sometimes be a curse. It is usually a blessing. :D

I always have problems remembering specific details, such as historical dates, phone numbers, etc... As a kid, I always knew I could never be a doctor or a pharmacist. I did poorly at Organic Chemistry. Mathematics is different; one only needs to start with the axioms and derives the rest. As the mathematician Leopold Kronecker once exaggerated, "God created the integers. All the rest is the work of Man." Physics was similarly easy for me.

I had read stories about people who could recall exactly what they did on a specific date, the same as REWahoo's story. But, there are some people with the opposite problem, a real affliction. They have a perfectly normal reasoning faculty, but have no short-term memory. There is a man whose brain had been destroyed by the herpes virus. He often prepared and ate multiple breakfasts because he forgot that he had it earlier the same morning.

Here's an interview with that man, called EP in the following excerpt.

Even though Frascino has been to EP's home some 200 times, he always greets her as a stranger. Frascino sits down opposite EP at his dining room table and asks a series of questions that gauge his common sense. She quizzes him about what continent Brazil is on, the number of weeks in a year, the temperature water boils at. She wants to demonstrate what IQ tests have already proved: EP is no dummy. He patiently answers the questions—all correctly—with roughly the same sense of bemusement I imagine I would have if a total stranger walked into my house, sat down at my table, and very earnestly asked me if I knew the boiling point of water.

"What is the thing to do if you find an envelope in the street that is sealed, addressed, and has a stamp on it?" Frascino asks.

"Well, you'd put it in the mailbox. What else?" He chuckles and shoots me a sidelong and knowing glance, as if to say, Do these people think I'm an idiot? But sensing that the situation calls for politeness, he turns back to Frascino and adds, "But that's a really interesting question you've got there. Really interesting." He has no idea he's heard it many times before.

"Why do we cook food?"

"Because it's raw?" The word raw carries his voice clear across the tonal register, his bemusement giving way to incredulity.

"Why do we study history?"

"Well, we study history to know what happened in the past."

"But why do we want to know what happened in the past?"

"Because, it's just interesting, frankly."

EP wears a metal medical alert bracelet around his left wrist. Even though it's obvious what it's for, I ask him anyway. He turns his wrist over and casually reads it.

"Hmm. It says memory loss."

Details are here: Memory - National Geographic Magazine

Note: Due to REWahoo's post, I recalled reading a similar story to his. Then, it took me a bit of reflection to recall that it was in National Geographic. A search of its Web site confirmed that I still have some memories after all. :clap:

Back
Top Bottom