Your Favorite Beer

That is true. The particular yeast strain used by A-B produces a relatively high amount of acetaldehyde compared to most brewers' yeasts. That isn't well tolerated by about 7% of the general population, which is why many people say Budweiser (and its derivatives) gives them a headache.

I guess I am one of the 7% - cannot drink Budweiser. Between the foul taste and the certain headache to follow, I will never touch the stuff again. Doesn't matter, though, I have a zillion much better craft brews to choose from...........:)

That explains it! Bud and most of their products have always been at the bottom of the list for me.

That isn't well tolerated by about 7% of the general population, which is why many people say Budweiser (and its derivatives) gives them a headache.
Odd, I have never heard anyone say that Budweiser gives them a headache.

Maybe it's a regional malady.

While InBev has been swallowing up active breweries, Pabst has been buying up defunct brands. A couple of years ago they put out a new formulation of Schlitz, using the brand's recipe from before Schlitz cheapened their product in the early '70s, nearly killing the company. That beer is (was? I haven't seen it lately) also contract-brewed by Miller. I tried it, and it was decent for an adjunct lager.

As I recall, the saying back in the 1970s was "If you're down to Schlitz, you're out of beer."

As I recall, the saying back in the 1970s was "If you're down to Schlitz, you're out of beer."

Schlitz brewed a very good super premium in the early '80s called Erlanger. I'd love to see Pabst bring that one back.

Favorite beer, possibly, is Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout. Or Rhino Chaser stout. Or Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. I haven't bought any of these guys since they all went over $40 a case a few years ago. They're probably all $54 a case by now. Insanity. I used to like Guinness stout but they changed it for the worse about 15 years ago, somehow. Not as thick and flavorful as it used to be.

I used to like Guinness stout but they changed it for the worse about 15 years ago, somehow. Not as thick and flavorful as it used to be.

Same beer. It just seems thinner bodied due to the effect of the nitrogen dispensing system (75% nitro, 25% CO2). I believe you can still find it with the traditional CO2 but only at a few places in Dublin. Most people prefer the current Guinness gas mixture so it has become the standard.

Generally am an IPA fan but certainly appreciate many other styles if created by a quality craft brewer. Grateful to live within 1/2 mile of a Figueroa Mountain taproom and recently Russian River expanded distribution to our area. Plenty of great American brews to choose from! Current favorites:
1. Russian River Pliny the Elder
2. Figueroa Mountain Pt. Conception
3. Russian River Blind Pig
4. Figueroa Mountain Lizards Mouth
5. Most IPA’s from Beachwood, Alvarado, Black Market Brewing, Modern Times and Offshoot

Wheat beer is my favorite type.
Allagash hands down is my favorite, but I have not seen it in FLA, so drink the German wheats and some FLA local wheats.

If you are ever in Maine, tour the Allagash brewery.

A nice little tour, highlighted by some great tastings of their standard offerings, plus some "specials".

I first tasted Allagash Black there - very nice. And some of the specials were rather wild, including one with Sriracha. I can't say that was my favorite, but it was certainly different.

I was in London yesterday and had a draft Meantime Anytime IPA. Only 4.7% ABV. I was impressed. I wish I could find lower alcohol content IPAs on tap in the PNW.

I wish I could find lower alcohol content IPAs on tap in the PNW.

What you're looking for is called a "Session IPA" in this country. Use your favorite internet search engine to look for that and you'll probably find several you didn't realize were available.

OK, since we've regressed to crap beers, I must admit that I brewed a clone of Rolling Rock once. Rolling Rock is 'different' compared to other traditional American Pale Lagers in that it contains DMS (Dimethyl Sulfide). When boiling the wort, most beers have at least a 60 minute boil time to remove most of the DMS. So, to make RR properly a shorter boil is used (or do some of the boil with the pot covered) so that the beer can 'properly' develop that funky creamed corn like flavor.

I did this because what the hey, and as a youth in PA enjoyed many a Rolling Rock.

Last edited:
Mad River Pale Ale (but can't get it in Upstate NY.)
Ithaca Flower Power IPA and Southern Tier 2X IPA.

For the cheap stuff - Yuengling, LaBatts, Genesee, and Saranac.

What you're looking for is called a "Session IPA" in this country. Use your favorite internet search engine to look for that and you'll probably find several you didn't realize were available.

Thank you, this is good to know. The problem is that there’s probably not many session IPAs on tap at the places I visit. I’ll definitely keep an eye out though, since I enjoy an IPA but not the higher alcohol content.

As for Black Label and Meister Brau, when I drank them years ago I thought they weren't bad for their type. The original Leinenkugel's -- now there was an awful beer. A couple could produce a splitting headache.

Oh man, I could name lots of bad beers I consumed when younger. Most fell into the $3.00/case range.

Bohemian Club
Rhinelander
Point
Huber
Old Style
Hamms
Mickey’s
Red White and Blue...the “cheaper” version of Pabst :facepalm:

If you are ever in Maine, tour the Allagash brewery.

A nice little tour, highlighted by some great tastings of their standard offerings, plus some "specials".

I first tasted Allagash Black there - very nice. And some of the specials were rather wild, including one with Sriracha. I can't say that was my favorite, but it was certainly different.

Sounds good. Probably heading up there next summer.
No one down here has ever even heard of Allagash, unless from up North.

Partial to the Irish stouts, especially when in Ireland. Guinness, Murphy's or Beamish. Any will do.

I will agree that drinking these from a can doesn't quite compare to tap pours from across the pond.

Same beer. It just seems thinner bodied due to the effect of the nitrogen dispensing system (75% nitro, 25% CO2). I believe you can still find it with the traditional CO2 but only at a few places in Dublin. Most people prefer the current Guinness gas mixture so it has become the standard.

Try the guiness in the nitrogen? cans. better than the bottles IMO

Back
Top Bottom