What is Your Favorite Android News App?

mountainsoft

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I kind of defaulted to Google News and have been using it for a year or two on my Android tablet. However, lately it seems like the articles are just overwhelmed with advertisements. Like read one sentence, show an ad, another sentence, another ad, etc. Horrible. It gets worse because the ads load slowly so the text of the page jumps all over the place as I'm trying to read the article.

I also dislike that the articles in Google News don't seem to be in chronological order. I often see an article from two days ago listed before an article from 15 minutes ago. It's annoying when I just want to see the latest news articles.

Not to mention half of the articles listed in Google News are hidden behind paywalls. Why show it to me if I can't read it? Annoying.

So, I have been trying different readers like Microsoft News, Flipboard, InoReader, etc.

I didn't care for the page flipping of Flipboard and it only showed two or three articles per page. I didn't go much further than that before uninstalling it. I just want simple scrolling with enough info to decide if the article interests me.

InoReader is nice, but since it simply organizes by feed, I often see the same story posted multiple times from different sources. So it takes a lot more time to get through a days worth of news. I do like that I can add my own sources which let's me add in my local newspapers.

I'm kind of leaning towards Microsoft news. Not as many duplicates, seems to sort better chronologically, and not as many advertisements. But it has some quirks too that I'm not particularly fond of.

Which news reader app is your favorite?

I like Google News. I don't see any ads unless I go to the actual news site. Agree with you on the paywall problem, although you can tell Google News your preferred news sources.

Otherwise, I like AP News and Reuters News apps. AP News has some detectable bias but Reuters News is mostly unbiased. There are ads in both apps, but it's not too bad.

I've tried Axios and it's good for an overview of headlines but there aren't many deep dives into subject matters.

I am not wired right to read news on a cell phone, especially with those obnoxious ads jumping in front of you all the time. I use my Chromebook and the Brave browser to look at news.

I am not wired right to read news on a cell phone

Me either... Unless I'm bored at family gatherings, then it gives me something to do. :)

However, reading news on my android tablet can be handy if I'm outside, or taking a bathroom break.

I am not wired right to read news on a cell phone, especially with those obnoxious ads jumping in front of you all the time. I use my Chromebook and the Brave browser to look at news.

we do it the old fashioned way...via newspaper.

Back
Top Bottom