Your Favorite Beer

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Here's an interesting article that claims America's favorite beers are mostly foregn.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddr...gh-most-people-dont-like-it/ar-AABsh7b#page=2

The top three are Heineken, Guinness and Corona. None of the brands was viewed positively by a majority of people.

Of those three, I drink the occasional Guinness when I can get it on-tap from a bar that knows how to pour a Guinness.

My current favorites are the local micro-brews in my area. None are big enough to make the article's list, but I wonder..... If they had a place for "Local Micro Brews" would they have made the list?

If I buy bottled beer at a grocery store, my favorites these days are:

Killian Irish Red - made by Coors, in the USA I assume.

Trader Jose Dark and Bock beers from Trade Joes, made in Mexico.

Last edited:
Favorite (daily) Bud Light
Favorite (pool days) Sol
I too will have an occasional Guinness as my DW always has Stout on hand

We're not drinkers, but do share a beer at dinnertime generally. Faxe beer is one of our favorites, but almost any European, (not British/Irish), pilsner/lager from Belgium to Bulgaria and in-between will usually suffice.

For what I can buy here in the US, Corona Light wins in my Book. And it's much better than regular Corona Extra or Corona Premium. If could could get it here, I'd be buying Asian brewed Tiger beer. They do sell beer here in the US with the Tiger label but it's not the same.

On the other end of the beer spectrum are a lot of really bad beers. However, Budweiser has got to be very near the bottom. I've always suspected that the Clydesdale's are stabled directly above the fermentation tanks which would explain the putrid taste. :sick:

Last edited:
I rarely drink anything but hoppy west coast mostly California IPAs. Stone and Ballast Point in San Diego are awesome. I also like Lagunitas and Sierra Nevada.

Proof that God loves us

My current favorites are the local micro-brews in my area.

The Shire is awash in excellent microbreweries. One of them makes a vanilla porter that I order every time I go there.

DH is partial to Revolver Blood & Honey (from the Dallas area). I generally prefer wheat beers, having developed a taste for them when we lived in Germany. Current favorite is Live Oak Hefeweizen (Austin area). Although I'm drinking more cider than beer these days - love the new dry rosé ciders (Argus from Austin is my favorite).

Here's an interesting article that claims America's favorite beers are mostly foregn.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddr...gh-most-people-dont-like-it/ar-AABsh7b#page=2

The top three are Heineken, Guinness and Corona. None of the brands was viewed positively by a majority of people.

Of those three, I drink the occasional Guinness when I can get it on-tap from a bar that knows how to pour a Guinness.

My current favorites are the local micro-brews in my area. None are big enough to make the article's list, but I wonder..... If they had a place for "Local Micro Brews" would they have made the list?

If I buy bottled beer at a grocery store, my favorites these days are:

Killian Irish Red - made by Coors, in the USA I assume.

Trader Jose Dark and Bock beers from Trade Joes, made in Mexico.

Of the top 10 beers in the article, I believe all but Sam Adams and Guinness are brewed by one of the Big 3 mega-brewing outfits - Anheuser Busch/InBev, Heineken, and Miller/Coors. Personally, I try to drink beer made by smaller craft brewers, and avoid the stuff from the mega-conglomerates if I can. I do this for two reasons: 1) local craft beers generally taste better to me; and 2) I would rather support local craft brewers than give my $$ to the mega-conglomerates. The mega-conglomerates use all kinds of tactics to try to crush craft brewers......one they use in our area is including clauses in their contracts with beer distributors that prevent those distributors from distributing most craft beers to the big grocery and liquor stores in the area. The craft breweries are finding ways around that, but still, tactics like that make me even more determined to buy craft beers when I can.

One interesting thing that just happened: two of the bigger craft breweries, Sam Adams, and Dogfish Head, just announced that they are merging. So, the new company will be pretty big (not nearly as big as the mega-conglomerates, but still fairly large). That has prompted a debate in the craft brewing community as to just how large can a craft brewer get before they are no longer considered a craft brewery?

As for beers that I drink - mostly IPAs (some pale ales), and my favorite craft brewers at the moment are New Glarus, Deschutes, Shorts, Three Floyds, and Cigar City. I just tried an IPA from Ale Asylum (in Madison, WI) that is very good also.........Hopalicious.

Core beer is Bud Light... also like Bud Light Orange and Bud Light Lime (but NOT Bud Light Radler... yuk... but I was never a fan of grapefruit juice to begin with).

Other favorites are Long Trail Blackberry Wheat and Leinenkugel Summer Shandy. We also like Blue Moon, Shock Top and Allagash White.

Every once in a while an Alchemist Heady Topper or a Lawson's Finest Liquids Sip of Sunshine IPA if I want something a bit more hoppy.

We have a local craft brewer about 11 minutes away and I sometimes get a growler from them and Hill Farmstead Brewery, RateBeer's Top Brewery for 2018, is about 1/2 hour away... but most of the Hill Farmstead beers are too harsh or hoppy for me.

Last edited:
Out of the 2 million "yougov" "panelists", 8000 participated and were offered a list of 41 major brands to select from.

I'd wager that the "major brands" were all either owned by InBev, SABMiller or Heineken.

The only beers showed in the rankings that are NOT owned by the above three corporate behemoths were Samuel Adams (Boston Beer Company considered "regional"), and Guinness (Harp considered "large"). https://www.brewersassociation.org/directories/breweries/

Last edited:
Georgia was late to the micro brew trend but we are catching up quickly. I like a local beer, Reformation Cadence. I have good friends opening a brewery later this year. That will be my favorite beer! :dance:

I also make beer and really enjoy home brew reds and stouts. I still like Bud a lot and I drink a few Yuenglings. Overall my beer consumption is way down. Maybe 2 or 3 a month. When I make beer, I give most of it away. :facepalm:

We love the local craft beer and I love Amber ale.

I make my own.

For commercial beers, if I am travelling I will try something local. I can drink just about anything :) but typically go for IPA's, British Style ales, sours, or Belgian style brews.

For commercial larger scale IPA's there are a lot of decent ones. Some lesser known but still bigger craft brewery tasty treats include Troegs Nugget Nectar (Imperial Red Ale, available only in the spring) https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/694/15881/, Ithaca Flower Power https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/651/6076/ which has a fantastic aroma.

Another IPA favorite that I've brewed a number of times is Sierra Nevada's holiday "Celebration" IPA: https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/sierra-nevada-celebration-ale/370/.

But it is really really hard to pick a "best" beer. One of the pleasures of drinking craft beer is the vast number of things to pick from.

Core beer is Bud Light... also like Bud Light Orange and Bud Light Lime

Other favorites are Long Trail Blackberry Wheat and Leinenkugel Summer Shandy.

Every once in a while an Alchemist Heady Topper or a Lawson's Finest Liquids Sip of Sunshine IPA if I want something a bit more hoppy.

We have a local craft brewer about 11 minutes away and I sometimes get a growler from them and Hill Farmstead Brewery is about 1/2 hour away... but most of the Hill Farmstead beers are too harsh or hoppy for me.

I'm waiting for the return of Bud Light Orange this summer. Still not out. Saw they are also coming out with a grapefruit.

That has prompted a debate in the craft brewing community as to just how large can a craft brewer get before they are no longer considered a craft brewery?

Probably meaningless to most, but the "official" definition of a craft brewer has gradually crept up over the years as the little guys have steadily become bigger. Today, it means annual production of six million barrels or less. That's rather a lot. After this merger, both Samuel Adams and Dogfish Head will still be considered craft brewers.

These are a few that I enjoy but I make my own. Currently, I am aging a Scottish Ale in a bourbon barrel. Other favorites are clones of The Tenant, Heady Topper, Moose Drool, and Bell's Two Hearted Ale. Life's too short to drink bad beer or wine, for that matter.

Yuengling would be the "onliest" beer I would drink out of a bottle. Yes, call me a snob.

I love Belgian style beers. Can now buy domestically made offerings such as:

Victory, Golden Monkey
Weyerbacher, Merry Monks
New Belgium, Trippel

All of them are excellent, JMHO

I like Belgians, ambers, and dopplebocks best. My favorite beer is Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale, which I found at the Town Branch bourbon distillery on the KY bourbon trail. Most bourbon barrel soaked beers tend to be stouts, which are too heavy for me, but this is a nice ale, maybe too sweet for some.

For Belgians, I like some of Ommegang's (upstate NY) beers, Leffe Dark (an inBev brand), and New Belgium.

For dopplebocks/darks, I like a couple regionals, Snow Blind from Starr Hill (VA), and Squatch Ale from Chaos (NC).

My favorite amber is from Tap Room #21, which I think is out of Rochester NY.

In local restaurants, I can almost always find Devil's Backbone Vienna Lager, which I'm choose if nothing else catches my eye. They got bought out by inBev (Anheuser Busch) a few years ago. Some locals said they'd never go back, but they added more jobs locally, apparently pay well, do community events, and seem to have maintained some independence. The owner told me that inBev knew they screwed up early on when they bought some micros, and learned how to support them without messing them up.

For cheaper beer, I get Yeungling or Killian's once in awhile.

Unfortunately beer seems to aggravate an irritated bladder condition I have, so I don't drink much anymore.

These are a few that I enjoy but I make my own. Currently, I am aging a Scottish Ale in a bourbon barrel.
That sounds awesome. Devil's Backbone makes one now and then, and I love it.

My tastes change, but right now I like White Rascal, a Belgium White from Avery.
Favorite low brow, cheapo beer is Yuengling.

As Charlie Papazian is known to say, "My favorite beer is the one in front of me!"

I, too, make my own. Otherwise, I like to visit Ballast Point's brewery near me about once per week as well as some of the local micro- and nano-breweries, several of which were founded by fellow local homebrew club members.

Grew up on Genesee. Now it's Miller Lite. What can I say. Just like every other aspect of my life. Simple and unsophisticated.

Most of my favorite beers come from Dogfish Head, Ommegang, or BadWolf Breweries, although a few are Belgians (yes, Westvleteren). I'd say the top domestic beer that is still produced is probably DFH's World Wide Stout.

Anyone here on Untappd? (Send me a PM if you are, my profile there is not as anonymous as it is here.)

Grew up on Genesee. Now it's Miller Lite. What can I say. Just like every other aspect of my life. Simple and unsophisticated.
Wow another genny fan? I used to love the cream ale, probably wouldn't like it now.

I enjoy stouts today. One one extended business trip in the UK my partner and I were dubbed "the Beamish boys".

Back
Top Bottom