Your first big break?

kgtest

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
All this talk about parents helping kids got me thinking about what the impact of help really means.
My folks did not pay for my college, but dad did buy a town home he let me rent (rent was the price of his monthly note) and returned my rent to me in the form of equity when I was ready to buy my first home.

This was quite possibly my first BIG break. I've had a few others...like allowing me to live with them rent free for a few years while I "figured out my life".
Also got a decent gift from in-laws when they had extra $ from the sale of property, and also had a break when my wedding venue and catering was covered by in-laws.

FIL helped me more than dad in terms of monetary support, but my dad has really helped me in terms of the DIY attitude. Every time I said "I can't" or "I don't know how" he told me, yes you can, or, you can learn how.

I think building my DIY confidence has helped immensely. I don't pay others for help, unless absolutely necessary.

That equity he returned to me was just in time for the $8k first time home buyer credit that was offered about a decade ago. I bought my first home, received that $8k on my tax return, and there was no looking back after that. Own two homes, have more money invested than *most my peers and I attribute it to the BIG break I received. Looking for a third and final investment property (in Florida in 3months) to round out my risk tolerance and diversification goals.

What was YOUR big break? :cool:

What was YOUR big break? :cool:

I didn't have what I would call a big break, but I did get lots of little ones that added up.

I was born into a wealthy area, although we ourselves were far from wealthy. But it did allow me see possibilities that I otherwise may not have seen. My parents stayed married, so I had that stability in early life that so many others did not. While not wealthy, neither were we poor - I always had three meals a day, a warm bed to sleep in, heat in the winter, proper clothes for the season and hot & cold running water that was safe to drink.

I went to elementary, Jr. high, and high schools in a very highly rated school system (at the time, dunno about now) and despite my lack of effort some of it apparently soaked in anyway.

I had to chance to go to a two-year college, paid for by my parents (I paid for the car needed to commute there) in a subject that led to a respectable (in most places anyway) career and had a decent pension that allows DW and I a comfortable life in retirement.

Still waiting for it I suppose. I have the standard little breaks:
Paper routes
Job at age 16
Got into good college and worked during school year and summers to pay for it
Got decent jobs after graduating
Didn't buy a car until mid-30s when first child was born
Couldn't afford to buy home before late 30's, so missed out on some real estate downturns
No divorce, no medical hardships, kids turned out alright
No spectacular real estate deals (still living in only home I ever bought)
No spectacular investment wins (index funds don't create spectacular wins)

Last edited:
I can't think of a single "big break", but two events that changed my life more than anything else are:

1. Selecting a college: Parents were not well to do, but made too much to get much assistance (this was 1973). Decided to forgo the the thoughts of MIT or RPI, and went to Northeastern in Boston. Commuted, worked co-op, worked part time in a machine shop. Combined with about a thousand in scholarships and help from a maiden aunt for the first year I was able to pay for college, and some fun money, and graduate with no debt!:dance:

2. First Professional Job: I had a safe offer from the engineering firm in Boston where I co-op'ed, working in a cube. Instead I took the risky offer to move to St. Louis, support a new regional office as a field engineer, travelling around the country every week. Not at all in my comfort zone, but it was time to change that.

The first event got me to focus on the long term prize (a degree) while in a LBYM attitude (I actually graduated with a few grand in the bank).

The second event led to me meeting DW, and to take two more career risks that led to FI.

One big break I had was near the end of my senior year at college. In a stat class I had one Thursday afternoon, the head of the Statistical Club told us someone from an insurance company trade group was going to be visiting the Stat Club later that day and then interviewing students the next day (Friday) for job openings after graduation. I was going t go back home to my parent's place Thursday afternoon after the class ended for the weekend so instead I stuck around to go the club and Friday interview.

That interview led to a second interview a few weeks later which led to an offer. It turned out to be my only job offer. It was my second choice among the companies I interviewed with. I took the offer, of course, and it led to a 23-year career with the place, leading to my current retirement.

Two years into my employment, I happened to run into the girl from the Stat club on the subway. I gave her a big Thank You for visiting my class and helping me get a good job.

My breaks always involved having friends who pulled me along with their successes, whether they knew it or not, and made me a better person.

My first break was meeting a man who was a field service engineer. At the time I was working in Southern Calif in a job that was sort of OK. He suggested I apply to his company for a job as an overseas field service engineer. I did, and was hired.
During the following years I worked in Japan, Okinawa, Korea, Canada and Scotland. Since I was fairly young, I had not developed any vices like smoking, drinking, or chasing women. I saw a lot of the older men blowing all their money that way. I lived on my per diem and banked my salary, Since I was out of the country long enough, I did not have to pay federal or state income taxes.
That gave me an early start to FI.

My big break was getting into the Naval Academy. Every break after that was the intersection of preparation and opportunity (sometimes called luck).

First big break: Due to my laziness in high school, during my senior year, I elected to try work experience. I lucked out and got an upaid job working for the State of California Department of Water Resources as a student assistant. This helped solidify my college major choice, and limited my college choices in CA to only 2.

Second big break: My parents paid for my college.

Third big break: I got my first full-time job just 6 weeks out of college, in the middle of a recession when no one was hiring.

Fourth big break: I was hired by a firm in Hawaii (low salary)

Fifth big break: I was hired by a large firm for a 5-year project and moved to Maui. Made some $ in real estate. My new company had an ESOP, and after 17 years, the ESOP value is ~21% of my retirement assets.

Sixth big break: Decided after some urging by management, to go from a technical role, to a management role. Increasing salary from then to now.

Some of these big breaks were the result of hard work, and good judgement, willingness to relocate to urban areas where salaries are higher, etc. The influence of friend and their example also planted the ER seed. Regardless, they helped propel me to FI by 52, along with LBYM.

Last edited:
What was YOUR big break?
Probably being born in a place and time and to a family where I could gain and eventually use the technical skills that enabled me to work in a lucrative and satisfying profession for 40 years.

It was a lot of hard work for many years, but I consider myself extremely lucky.

Getting involved with Wall Street instead of the Big 8 accounting firms.

First big break: On a bus driver's salary, there was no way my parents could send me to college, but I got three different partial scholarships that paid my way completely.

Second big break: As a USAF 2nd Lieutenant on a small installation, my boss and his wife saw something in me worth developing, and they kind of adopted me and imparted an enormous amount of wisdom and experience.

Third big break: The USAF apparently saw something as well, since I had the most unusual military career I've ever heard of. Every job I had was completely different from the previous job, usually in a totally different career field. They seemed to see me as a troubleshooter, since I almost always replaced someone who had just been fired for incompetence. As a result, I loved my career since I was constantly learning new things. That led me to stay in until retirement eligibility, which is awesome.

Damn... there goes the ego trigger....:blush:

First big break was when I was born, and my mom looked at me, then tossed me into the lake to get rid of me (ugly baby)... I struggled and managed to find my way to shore.

It worked out well for me, 'cuz when I got to high school, I was, by year, third, second then first on the All American Swim Team in my specialty stroke.. This brought interest from college swimmers who contacted me to visit and apply at their college. Some nice trips... interviews, and applications, then acceptance to about ten schools, including Harvard, Yale, M.I.T., Ohio U, Dartmouth, Williams and my eventual choice, Bowdoin. full scholarships at all... Grades Helped, 'because in those days, every school denied that they gave scholarships for ""Sports". Full scholarship! Unfortunately, even though I was also an All American College Swimmer, for four years, the scholarship was reduced by $200 one semester when my average dropped to a B-. I had to work that summer to go back to school, and that caused me to miss the 1956 Melbourne Summer Olympics... (yeah... that wouldn't happen today.)

Out of school, not quite as lucky... army, Married, and then in to a job that was a poor fit. I didn't like it, but did well, and tops in my district. THEN.... a promotion opening... then a political pass over that was so offensive to me that I quit... 2 sons and one on the way.... and no job.

Got lucky... competing company chased me down somewhere in Boston where I was going door to door, looking for something... anything. Ten minute interview in a restaurant, and I was hired. More than double my last salary, a respectable title, and a full move 250 miles away, free, and with a two month starting bonus.

So... no BIG break, because even with inflation, my wages in those days ($30,000 in 1974) wouldn't put me in the high income bracket today.

Absolutely no complaints. Thank you mom!

Last edited:
The date was July 1st, 1970. (Draft Lottery)

The luck of the draw most likely kept me from going to Vietnam... It was probably the major game changer for me and the rest of my life and it was totally out of my control.

My other breaks, I made for myself, for the most part.

Last edited:
I was told to go work out in the rain for three days in 1982. A few months later I started to go to night school, while working full time.

In 84 a wonderful person took a chance on a guy. I'll never forget her, a truly special person. She gave me an opportunity and I'm pretty sure I didn't waste it.[emoji111]

Most everything else was downstream of that experience. Another person entered my life and did go out of his way to help compensate me for my professional contributions. Things like bonuses, options, opportunities, he was a generous, kind person.

Last edited:
Local business at the end of the block offered me a job. It was a small office building.

It was 8th grade, and my first job was cleaning trash cans. By the middle of college, they had me working summers calling accounts that were overdue (pre-collection).

I learned so much, made mistakes, and had very nice mentors explain those mistakes. This little part time job gave me life lessons. We need more business people like this, willing to give a dorky kid a chance.

Last edited:
I think it was getting my very entry level job at a large insurance/financial svcs company in 1979. It was a good match for me and set the stage for many things that came later. At that time, I was able to get this full time job with benefits with just my high school degree, along with good scores on the math test they had me take.

I think breaks come throughout life, if you're smart enough to recognize them.

I consider it a break that I was born into a lower middle class family in rural America, where I grew up to be valedictorian (because frankly the competition wasn't that stiff). That led to a full scholarship to a top 25 college. In college I met a guy who was from a neighboring town whose family had a multimillion dollar business and hired me after college. They helped me get into grad school. I chose a post-grad position based on geographic location, in a field that wasn't popular or sexy. After that, I landed a job with the best firm in the state in which I grew up. Again, being born in the little rural town paid off because I was a local boy and the firm that hired me wanted local talent (people that were too "cultured" didn't stay long in our part of the state).

Then, two very unlikely big breaks. 1. I met a guy who literally lived on $10k per year. He's the definition of frugal. 2. Met a guy who backpacks across America with everything he owns in his backpack. Those two guys taught me that I was living with waaaaaaay too much stuff, and I didn't need as much money as I thought I did. Without even knowing it, those two men started me on my journey to FIRE. I'll be forever grateful to them.

My big break was getting into the Naval Academy. Every break after that was the intersection of preparation and opportunity (sometimes called luck).

nicely worded! I've had lots of little breaks along the way. I think maybe I mispoke on the first post...

The only break that really mattered to me was meeting my wife. She is the women behind the man that really lit a fire under me to 'be something'.

But my dad always did prod me to do better. I'll never forget about the day I came home from my lowly construction job run by a friend and he said "Son, you really should look at this opportunity I found in the paper, they are hiring for a window installer and the job comes with a 401k, paid time off and health insurance' None of which I had ever had before (I was 25). But then again, I had just started dating my now wife and I don't think it was ultimately the ole man that motivated me to apply for the "better" job.

Been seeking better opportunities ever since then. I've been on literally hundreds of interviews since then, and clawed my way up the IT ladder to a senior level role where I seem to have plateaued but partially have golden handcuffs (2 more years until my pension vests). As for seeking a job with a pension...that is totally attributed to you all at ER...the ole man retired with 3, and constantly reminded me that those good 'ole days were long gone.

Still trying to prove him wrong, and the Mrs. right. :D

I was told to go work out in the rain for three days in 1982. A few months later I started to go to night school, while working full time.

In 84 a wonderful person took a chance on a guy. I'll never forget her, a truly special person. She gave me an opportunity and I'm pretty sure I didn't waste it.[emoji111]

Most everything else was downstream of that experience. Another person entered my life and did go out of his way to help compensate me for my professional contributions. Things like bonuses, options, opportunities, he was a generous, kind person.

Ahh the women behind the man. They are absolutely incredible and I swear there is nothing we can do to match that.

Mine gave me two incredible children that I will forever be indebted! I wake up so proud, a different proud than that first good paying job...that's for sure!

Damn... there goes the ego trigger....:blush:

First big break was when I was born, and my mom looked at me, then tossed me into the lake to get rid of me (ugly baby)... I struggled and managed to find my way to shore.

It worked out well for me, 'cuz when I got to high school, I was, by year, third, second then first on the All American Swim Team in my specialty stroke.. This brought interest from college swimmers who contacted me to visit and apply at their college. Some nice trips... interviews, and applications, then acceptance to about ten schools, including Harvard, Yale, M.I.T., Ohio U, Dartmouth, Williams and my eventual choice, Bowdoin. full scholarships at all... Grades Helped, 'because in those days, every school denied that they gave scholarships for ""Sports". Full scholarship! Unfortunately, even though I was also an All American College Swimmer, for four years, the scholarship was reduced by $200 one semester when my average dropped to a B-. I had to work that summer to go back to school, and that caused me to miss the 1956 Melbourne Summer Olympics... (yeah... that wouldn't happen today.)

Out of school, not quite as lucky... army, Married, and then in to a job that was a poor fit. I didn't like it, but did well, and tops in my district. THEN.... a promotion opening... then a political pass over that was so offensive to me that I quit... 2 sons and one on the way.... and no job.

Got lucky... competing company chased me down somewhere in Boston where I was going door to door, looking for something... anything. Ten minute interview in a restaurant, and I was hired. More than double my last salary, a respectable title, and a full move 250 miles away, free, and with a two month starting bonus.

So... no BIG break, because even with inflation, my wages in those days ($30,000 in 1974) wouldn't put me in the high income bracket today.

Absolutely no complaints. Thank you mom!

Lol. There are some ego's here for sure. It's hard to contain them all sometimes. I guess when I posted this, it wasn't coming from the ego side, more the idea that, one thing can lead to another, and then another... like domino's, but in a good way instead of the "falling down one after another" sort of way.

I figured you all would have some interesting stories to tell. I try not to be egotistical, just accurate and true. Nobody ever called me humble, but I've enjoyed the climb and hootin' and hollerin' is somewhat in my DNA.

Now if you met the 'ole man...that guy does no wrong ;)

I feel your pain. Current employer politics passed me over for a promotion. I packed my desk into a single produce box a year ago when that happened and that's where it remains to this day. Two more years and that pension is mine, screw the damn promotion. Finally today my bosses boss had a conversation with me...they hadn't spoke to me since I packed that box. :confused:

My big break was getting into the Naval Academy.

Me too - USNA Class of 1981. Although I suppose that was my second big break. The first was emigrating to the USA in 1960.

My parents stayed married, so I had that stability in early life that so many others did not. While not wealthy, neither were we poor - I always had three meals a day, a warm bed to sleep in, heat in the winter, proper clothes for the season and hot & cold running water that was safe to drink.
Yep. If we're looking for the FIRST big break, that was mine, also.

For me sometimes the "breaks" were not getting what I wanted at the time.

The promotions or positions I got turned down for, which, in retrospect, would probably not have worked out for me as well as where I ended up.

As annoying as those minor setbacks were, the rear view mirror very quickly showed "bullet dodged" or, another - better - opportunity came along so quickly afterwards that would not have happened had I taken those others.

Little kismet things maybe, but they added up enough that I learned quickly that some things aren't meant to be because better things are coming.

Interesting reads!

I worked from about 14 years old and had manual labor jobs but I consider them breaks. The big break was when I got a job as a young man and worked my way up and spent 35 years with the same company.

As far as mom and dad paying for college that could not of happened. LOL We were poor as far a money went but we were rich in many other way in life. I paid my way through, every step of the way and not one regret doing so. My mom would give me a 20 spot once in a while when i was home to help with gas.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom