Youtube just raised their prices!

rmcelwee

Recycles dryer sheets
This always happens to me. I subscribe to something and I don't get three months into it and they raise the price. It happened to me on Hulu, Netflix, and now youtube. I dropped the other two but I will have to stick with YT because we watch more on it than we do on TV.

EDIT:
Mine raised from $11.99 (I started paying less than two months ago on 5/29/23) to $13.99 per month.
They had a "pay $120 for a year - $10 a month" at one point but I never could figure out how to get it. I think it was a "new user" deal but I used a trial membership and I think that killed it.

Last edited:
I didn’t know anyone paid for YouTube Premium. So pay or go back to free YouTube - you can skip many of the ads, some not.

I didn’t know anyone paid for YouTube Premium. So pay or go back to free YouTube - you can skip many of the ads, some not.
I don't see ads on YouTube. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place to see them. Anyone have an example of a specific YT page and what I would see as ads?

As I said, I will keep it. As far as ads, there are a ton of things we watch on YT that are much nicer once you pay for premium. It is the only subscription we have for anything.

... and youtube premium has 128M subscribers with a projected 205M next year.

I don't see ads on YouTube. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place to see them. Anyone have an example of a specific YT page and what I would see as ads?

I had a tablet that didn't show yt ads on it. Not sure why. I also have a friend who says he never gets any on his old computer.

I don't watch Mr Beast but I just signed out of my acct and this was the first video that popped up. It has two 15 second ads at the beginning of the video and I am assuming it has more before the end.

I am the world's worst cheapskate, honestly I really am!!! So, I have always had free Youtube even though I spend more time there than any other site I can think of. I dodge the ads as best I can, with liberal usage of my browser's "mute" button.

I'm glad many of you choose to pay, since surely they need some income from somewhere in order to stay in business! :D

I had a tablet that didn't show yt ads on it. Not sure why. I also have a friend who says he never gets any on his old computer.

I don't watch Mr Beast but I just signed out of my acct and this was the first video that popped up. It has two 15 second ads at the beginning of the video and I am assuming it has more before the end.
Interesting. No ads for me. I've seen them in the past, where I had to wait at least 5 seconds before I could skip the ad, but it's been a while. Now that I state this, watch the ads reappear soon. :rolleyes:

I have never paid for YouTube and its my favorite place on TV.

Interesting. No ads for me. I've seen them in the past, where I had to wait at least 5 seconds before I could skip the ad, but it's been a while. Now that I state this, watch the ads reappear soon. :rolleyes:

I stream YouTube on a smart TV and I don’t get videos without ads. They all have them.

I did not know anyone pays to watch YouTube. Although I personally have two YouTube channels.

I don't pay. I can deal with a few commercials since I don't watch YouTube that much. YMMV

We pay $22.99/mo so both of us can get Premium. We both watch quite a few videos, so it's worth it to get rid of the ads.

I watch YouTube for the occasional piano tutorial, space related news, and cooking video or old music/concert video. I don’t watch any shows and don’t watch regularly. So I put up with the occasional ad.

YouTube has rapidly grown to about 95% of what I watch on TV. For DW, it's grown to about 50-60%. We don't pay for Premium. $22/mo to eliminate ads doesn't seem like a good value to me. There are other benefits but none of them are important to us.

That said, I've done at least 3 or 4 free trials, one of which was for 90 days. It's always hard to come off the free trial. But I eventually get used to the ads again. The ads really aren't too bad on YouTube. Nothing like the hideous commercials on regular TV. Worst case is two 15-second ads in a row. But usually it's much less. Plus you can mute and skip.

And of course if you watch YouTube on a PC browser with an ad-blocker, you will never see the ads. But most of our viewing is on the big TV using a Fire TV Cube. I'm not aware of any ad-blocker that runs on the Fire TV platform.

Last edited:
Most of the ads on YouTube I can skip after a few seconds.

I think it depends on what type of content you watch most of the time. I've noticed that small channels, with low subscriber counts, tend to show the skipable ads much of the time. Larger channels, with millions of subscribers, tend to have more of the 12-15 second non-skipable variety.

Last edited:
I have been paying $9.99 a month for years for YouTube Premium (usually 20% less that because I pay using discounted Google Play cards). I love not having any ads and not having to mess with it...but ALSO it includes YouTube Music (no ads, download mobile music, etc.) which has unlimited streaming of all music releases and dynamic playlists and such (i.e. competitor to Spotify, which BTW costs $9.99 a month, so one could argue ad-free You Tube is getting thrown in for free).

Combined, it has been a good value for something we use every day. They told me I am finally losing my grandfathered rate in January and going to $12.99, so I will look to find the $120 annual option.

Last edited:
I signed up for just one month yesterday. I started using guided meditations by Joe Dispenza on Youtube, and while I'm in deep relaxation/trance-like state, sometimes ads come on, and that startles me and jolts me into an awakened state!

With Premium, I can download vids, plus vids will keep playing while I go to other apps, so I will take advantage of those featurs for a month. (I already cancelled my subscription, so I will have just one month of Premium.) The monthly cost should be lower IMHO...

I love not having any ads and not having to mess with it...but ALSO it includes YouTube Music (no ads, download mobile music, etc.) which has unlimited streaming of all music releases

Ah, I forgot about the best part of NO ADS... I can type in any album, let's say
Lainey Wilson - "Bell Bottom Country" Full Album, and instead of 16 separate files with 16 (or 32) ads I get the songs one right after another. This was worth it to me. All new albums show up on YT.

Back
Top Bottom