2017 YTD investment performance thread

I made 20% on the equities, but only 3% on the bonds.

I always question folks reporting 20% gains. Its certainly possible, but doubtful in reality.

Depends on your asset allocation. US and ex-US total market equities are up over 20% for the year.

That doesn't account for Litecoins I bought a few weeks ago. 😊 i got in with $174 invested and it's now worth $748. Once i hit the one comma club I will declare victory and having "won the game " I will sell and buy some toy like a new lense for the Nikon.

Beats the hell out of Vegas!!

Depends on your asset allocation. US and ex-US total market equities are up over 20% for the year.
+1

The S&P return is more than 21% with dividends.

DIA (Dow Jones ETF) and VWO (Vanguard EM ETF) are both about 26%YTD with dividends.

Vanguard International Growth VWIGX is up 41% YTD.

Hallelujah!

I always question folks reporting 20% gains. Its certainly possible, but doubtful in reality.

Actually it is very possible. Total Stock is up 21% YTD and Total International Stock is up 27% so someone with a 70/30 mix of the two, as suggested by Vanguard, would be up 23%.... so it is very feasible for those with high equity allocations.

Don't know why (although I admit my return is well below that).

Consider a young Dreamer with 100% in S&P 500 or maybe some mixture of S&P 500, Total Stock Market and Total Intnl Stock. He or she should be reporting above 20% this year. If this individual had some FAANG stocks, or whatever else did extremely well this year, he or she might be reporting over 30%.

Just checked. Now up 63.58% for the year.

Ridiculously aggressive in the top performing Dow stock of 2017. Fortuitous timing no doubt. I took action with strong conviction and the high risk produced a high reward thus far. I am enjoying it very much as it will likely never occur again in my life.

I am hopeful this market will become the greatest bull run of all-time and prosperity becomes widely enjoyed by many.

Last edited:
Boeing? It's up 90% YTD, best among the Dow 30.

Next is Caterpillar at 61% YTD.

Apple is at 52% YTD.

Mc Donald's, Visa, Walmart are all above 40% YTD.

GE is of course the last among the Dow 30, and lost 44% YTD.

Last edited:

I'm sure my specific "investments" would not impress anyone... but...

10 years post-retirement... and my net worth is still increasing...

37.8% residential rentals
27% property contracts and loans
16.3% stocks
8.3% Cal tax free bonds
10.6% savings

Our NW is up 9% this year - crazy given the amount in savings and Cal bonds.

Yesterday was a very good day! Closing in on 15% YTD. Wh.....!!!!

60/35/5

Last edited:
14.3% with my cheap, globally diverse couch potato portfolio.
25% Canada, 25% USA, 25% international, 25% short term bonds.

Net worth up almost $700k this year which is more exciting to me!

I'm sure my specific "investments" would not impress anyone... but...

10 years post-retirement... and my net worth is still increasing...

Same here, I quit tracking my spending and just folllow my net worth now.

Looks like +28.9% ytd, 99% stocks. 10% AAPL. Been beating Warren Buffet and most of the markets averaging 27.5% returns over the past five years.

Grow, baby, grow.

PS thanks to whomever tipped me on AAPL near 100, that order filled at $96 after hours. :D

Around 12% YTD with moving to a very conservative 40/37/23 AA. Even with trading off growth opportunity for less risk, my gains this year alone are enough to cover my planned retirement cash withdrawals for the next 4 years.

Looks like +28.9% ytd, 99% stocks. 10% AAPL. Been beating Warren Buffet and most of the markets averaging 27.5% returns over the past five years.

Grow, baby, grow.

PS thanks to whomever tipped me on AAPL near 100, that order filled at $96 after hours. :D
Wow, impressive run!!

Grow, baby, grow.

Aahh, do be careful. The market has an uncanny knack of humbling us all.

I believe this is overstated in many venues. ALL being humbled is highly improbable. To offer a contrarian view, with strong consecutive compounding gains one can withstand much deeper re-tracement. Outliers do exist and not ALL revert to the mean. Not arguing, just fun to explore different thinking.

Lemme see. My strongest stock is up 150% YTD ($1 becomes $2.50). And that is after it tumbled 20% from the high because the quarterly report was not gun ho enough. But the "sadder" thing is this position is only 1% of portfolio.

Oh well, that's what diversification gets you. No brilliance, but no dunce cap either.

I'm up over 20% and I'm certainly no investing genius. My stocks:

AAPL 50.2 I also have these Fid Select funds:
FB 53.1 transport 21.5
MA 43.9 Biotech 24.8
TXN 41.4 Defense 33.7
V 41.4 Semicond 37.4
HD 38.4 Technology 52.0
CTAS 36.8 Medicine 28.4
GOOG 33.6
INTC 28.5
NKE 23.5 The rest is in various index funds
JNJ 22.3
CNI 20.7
COST 18.0
CISC 17.8
HAS 14.9
NRZ 13.9 + 11% DIV
DIS 5.4
GILD 0.26

So 20% in this market is not that hard at all.

edit to add: it looked all nice and pretty before I posted but jammed the funds column into the stocks after posting/ Anyway you can figure it out.

Don't do this at home

56 and still accumulating. 75/25 (with cash balance pension acting as bond fund)

Weighted average of total increase is 23.5% for 401k and pension combined. This will likely be the last year of high gains with the portfolio pedal to the metal.

FIDO indicates 401k returns up 24.5% YTD. With contributions go up to 28.5% total.

Pension flat rate is +4% p.a. With contributions up 7.4% total YTD.

Reached FI this year, but sticking around to run up the score for TMY.

I am doing everything wrong according to the pundits, but my quarterly statement says I am a lucky, lucky dog.

Diversified to International last December.

401K > 95% stocks for 31 years. (Less than 100% mostly because of some loans)

Sold MegaCorp stock holdings in 1999 before the crash but wish I had hung onto it all because now I now what NUA is all about. (Risky, but 14% annual returns for a solid utility)

Contemplating going conservative just prior to retirement to minimize SORR downside, but the upside of SORR is pretty sweet now!

Last edited:
After the last trading day of 2017....

14.8% for 2017. "Bonds" and cash are about 30% of my AA. That's my usual "all-in, spend adjusted" amount. We've been calling "money chimp style": (YE2017Bal+2017Spend/2) / (YE2016Bal-2017Spend/2) - 1. No money added externally from a paycheck or anything, so that's a pretty easy and reasonably accurate method.

Last edited:
18.01% for 2017. Much better than I expected when 2017 started. Investments are about 85% equity, 15% bonds.

+27.2% @ 99% US Equities. Mostly low cost VG ETFs.

Beat my past four year avg, barely by 1/2% but I beat it. I remember a lot of folks predicting slower markets this year due to elections etc, but that didn't seem to be the case. Cheers to a repeat in 2018 let's put the S&P500 over 3450! Even if we hit 3333 I would be happy! Interest rates are set to rise, unemployment will be at historical lows, and it will be interesting to see what happens in the EM sector, especially China, and Foreign Policy.

Back
Top Bottom