2017 YTD investment performance thread

Not sure which way people are reporting so:

8.9% YTD through June, or;

17.8% annualized

The former.... or thought of another way, as if there is no additional income or change in value between the measurement date and December 31, 2017.

Congratulations

If I'm reading it correctly, looks as if today, the DJIA is up about 25% from a year ago on June 17.

Currently my allocation is 68/28/4 (stock, bonds, cash). The S&P is up 8.98% YTD, my allocation is finally catching up, now at 7.26% or 80.9% of the S&P growth (wo div). I like to consider the allocation is very balanced moderate growth. Earlier in the year I was more 60/40 ish, so my stock growth is rapidly skewing the allocation. I am considering a re-balance today, and will likely drop the foreign bond allocation as well. Any thoughts or similar thoughts by others? Someone mentioned private money lending as an allocation, which would be similar to a bond strategy. Curious if the higher yield might follow more risk?

If I take the difference in our net worth between 12/31/16 and 6/20/17, minus value for our residences, and divide that by the 12/31 net worth I get 3.776% gain. Of course we have fed and maintained ourselves during the last six months, so I'm ok with that.

7.4% YTD
16% over year.

The International returns have kicked in, after dragging on the portfolio the last two-three years. (Stocks are currently 58% of the portfolio, to put in perspective.)

Ended the 1st half of the year with 6.96% increase YTD. My winners are the international & chemical funds. On average, they are up in high teen area. Even the bond funds are doing ok at 2 - 4% increase. My short term trades returned about 7%, performing below the S&P 500.

Six months already? Time flies while one is goofing off.

My stash is up 7.90% YTD as of close of market on 6/30. Two days ago, it was 8.71%.

Not complaining, as VFINX (S&P surrogate) is up 9.26%, and I capture 85% of that gain while not being 85% in equity. Hope to hang on to that gain in the days ahead.

Last edited:
3.75% YTD through 2/28/2017... a good start for the year, but only 2 months so it would be a little premature to get too excited.

4.63% YTD based on XIRR of beginning balance, withdrawals, cash dividends and ending balance using a 12/31/2017 date. AA of 60/35/5.

I have been rebalancing more often than normal into the rally to keep cash up giving upcoming wedding costs later this year.

5.58% YTD :dance:

6.88% YTD.... pinch me! :dance: 16.5% for the year at this pace... not that I'm counting on that but it would be nice.

7.44% YTD... so far so good.

YTD (June 30, 2017) returns for a collection of 'close-to' 60/40 funds (from Morningstar.com):

7.42% VSMGX Vg LifeStrategy Moderate Growth (60/40)
7.01% VTWNX Vg Target Retirement 2020 (56/45)
6.34% VBIAX Vg Balanced Index (60/40), no foreign
6.32% DGSIX DFA Global 60/40 I, small-cap & value tilted
6.20% VWENX Vg Wellington (65/35)
7.83% VTTVX Vg Target Retirement 2025 (65/35)

Overall weighted performance is 4.99% for 55/45 portfolio (stocks/bonds).

Newer 401k performance is on a tear:
From 01/01/2017 to 05/31/2017
American Funds American Balanced R6 Fund: 5.05%
American Funds New World R6 Fund: 15.78%
Account Total: 14.48%
Mid-2017 Investments Summary
  • 9.34% new contributions + performance
  • 5.61% YTD Weighted Performance overall

14.47% new 401k still setting the pace.
  • American Funds American Balanced R6 Fund: 4.06%
  • American Funds New World R6 Fund: 16.43%

Also rebalanced at the beginning of June, and reduced equity target:
  • 53 Equity / 42 Fixed / 5 Cash

YTD (June 30, 2017) returns for a collection of 'close-to' 60/40 funds (from Morningstar.com):

7.42% VSMGX Vg LifeStrategy Moderate Growth (60/40)
7.01% VTWNX Vg Target Retirement 2020 (56/45)
6.34% VBIAX Vg Balanced Index (60/40), no foreign
6.32% DGSIX DFA Global 60/40 I, small-cap & value tilted
6.20% VWENX Vg Wellington (65/35)
7.83% VTTVX Vg Target Retirement 2025 (65/35)

Good info. Also, VTWNX Vg Target Retirement 2020 is ~55/45 and returned 7.01% YTD... so averaging VTTVX and VTWNX is 7.42% and a good 60/40 benchmark for me... and I was 7.44% so pretty close.

But now I notice that VSMGX seems to be a better/easier benchmark as it also uses a mix of Total Stock, Total International Stock, Total Bond Total International Bond that approximates my target AA.

Last edited:
7.46% on a 56/44 AA for the first half of 2017. I will be ecstatic if the second half is as good.

For 6 month check my portfolio is up 15.77% with a 70/30 stock/bond. If I figure this same gain for 12 month's not gaining anything more it would be 7.60%. I would be happy with 2 or 3% for the year. I never like to get greedy because I know the down side very well. Lol

I have been retired for 14 months and just did what my portfolio has gained for those 14 months. My gain is 12.30% and I'm ecstatic with those numbers. I also stay very humble like I said before I know that hard times are down the road.

Last edited:
3.92% - XIRR as of July 1st

According to Morningstar, one section of my portfolio that I track has gained 6.97% year-to-date. Unfortunately, this section is my Dividend Stocks SOLD Portfolio and is made up of dividend stocks I’ve sold in the last several years. (So, I guess it's not really a section of my portfolio).

My real-life Dividend Portfolio is up 4.33%. This number comes from the moneychimp calculator.

The portfolio consists of 24 individual stocks (which all have a high/very high safety rating by VaIue Line). I’m using this portfolio to augment my bond yield. No new money is being added except for dividends earned.

According to Morningstar, the dividend rate of the real life Dividend portfolio is 3.32. The “SOLD” portfolio is only earning 3.23. HAH!!! We’re Crushing it!!!

I don’t have a benchmark for my Dividend Portfolio. I could compare it to something like VIG, but I think my portfolio is much more conservative and hopefully will hold up better in a downturn. At least, that's what I'm telling myself (I guess I'm also telling anyone who happens to be reading this). On reflection, I think what’s going on here is that I would rather make my own mistakes (in this particular area) than have something like VIG make mistakes for me. I get to see my very own mistakes when I look at how my Dividend Stocks SOLD portfolio is doing. Lucky me.

If anyone has an idea of what I can use for a benchmark, I’m listening.

My all-in, spend adjusted calculation is returning 7.64%. My AA sheet shows that emerging markets and domestic equities are the most in need of a trim, so those were probably the winners since my last rebalance in February, but it's nice when nothing is getting clobbered.

Comment on 2/1: OK made me look. PRR for the year to date without cash is 2.15%. Including cash it is 1.93%. I'll take it.

Comment on 3/1: Updating my post above as of today. Up 3.77% not including cash. Including cash 3.39%. Not quite as much progress but happy with it anyway.

Comment on 4/29: Two months since I calculated our PRR. YTD is now 4.81% without cash and 4.38% with cash. Sold a bit of stock yesterday and bought some bonds.

Comment on 6/1: One month since I calculated our PRR. YTD is now 5.7% without cash, and 5.18% including cash. XIRR for a total year at this pace would be 12.99% including Cash. No plans to tinker with AA.

Comment 7/1: One month since I last calculated our PRR and also the mid year point. YTD PRR using XIRR formua is now 6.24% w/o cash and 5.69% including cash like instruments such as high yield savings, I bonds, and near term CD's. Not as much progress, but I would love to replicate these returns in the second half of the year.

AA: 54/41/5

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom