2018 YTD investment performance thread

On 9/30/18, up 9.2% YTD

Down .8% for the first week of October. Was 90/10/0 AA, as of the close yesterday went to 26/10/64. Will stay in cash and wait for the turn.

I didn’t dare look today. But two days ago, I did look at my AA and it was 19 and 16% equities for mine and my husband. However, in the last two days, I did write some cash covered puts. So it doesn’t show up yet. What a difference a few days make. I was expecting Sept, now it looks like it’s Oct.

This week was a tough one. Off 1.8% since the end of the quarter.

No asset class showed any strength. International, especially emerging was weakest.

Get ready ladies and germs, I think this might be it.

tumblr_no95plb2SD1ur6ix0o1_500.gif

You might want to re-evaluate your AA.

Naa. I'm only 37. Still plenty of runway. Valuations were a bit high. I'm not too concerned. The deteriorating relationship and escalating tension between US/China is likely part of the sell-off plus the election-cycle.

heres-how-stocks-perform-around-midterms-in-one-chart-2018-09-11

Attachments

• MW-GP860_image0_20180911132902_NS.png
    MW-GP860_image0_20180911132902_NS.png
    55.7 KB · Views: 36
My plan is to DCA through all the madness. IF stocks drop, I will plow more money into the market sooner next year. This year I am maxed on contributions so if the market isn't doing squat I can plow money into my 4% notes I have. Pay myself the 4% and buy low, or else just DCA. I will re-evaluate next Thursday. I think it will be a wild few weeks to month. I timed a dip last year and almost lost my lunch being out of the market for a few days. I realize if we drop 10+ % I will be kicking myself, but I don't think that's sustainable...not with the tax breaks, and low unemployment. Housing is still expensive to a lot but I'm not seeing any mass foreclosures and lay-offs.

GDP is steady. The big problem in US might be debt, and the tariffs and farmers hurting. And I am heavily invested in US equities as my signature shows. Housung and AG is huge and that might slow the economy a bit if you pile on our debt. ME personally I am running at all time lows for debt, also all time lows for cash though, but I have some options.

Aha, damn error in my spreadsheet. It happens when I cut/paste in between the contributions I track daily. Down 2.5% in the last five trading sessions.

Ouch... between last Thursday and last night I'm only down.0.9%... it may be 1.5% or so after today.

Thanks for posting. You made me re-check my #s. Ran through a couple other spreadsheets I use to track other folks investments and realized something had to be wrong in my formula. I love ER if not for error-checking my work lol.

Is this why I bought CDs? [emoji55]
QTD: -1.44%
YTD: 5.06%
Currently 84% equities / 16% cash but more importantly (to me) of that 84% equities = 90% core / 10% in trading account. I've been asleep at the wheel

Last edited:
I’m still positive for YTD so that’s something.

Essentially flat for the year, IOW, down about equal to this year’s withdrawal.

I've officially corrected. DAMN that was a good run! If you saw my other thread "all I know is bull" and it was true. I've never had any skin in the game during a bear...UNTIL TODAY! :facepalm::confused::(:mad::mad:

I was going to short to miss it, but decided to stay the course and ride the wave. :mad:

But I guess I'll sit back, continue to buy the dip and eat my popcorn as the show goes on. :popcorn:

Frustrated...that's the one word to sum up today for me and my personal investment journey.

On the bright side I am still up 130% as of 6 years ago when I actually started tracking progress. I guess it's time to see these averages move backwards...or maybe not!:rolleyes:

Are we allowed to compare back to when we first started tracking? With or without adjusting for inflation? After it crashes in earnest, we'll have to start another thread. 1986, or whenever Lotus 123 came out....hmmm, I'm quite a bit ahead.

Are we allowed to compare back to when we first started tracking? With or without adjusting for inflation? After it crashes in earnest, we'll have to start another thread. 1986, or whenever Lotus 123 came out....hmmm, I'm quite a bit ahead.

Is it like "2018 YTD investment performance thread" is that hard to understand? :facepalm:

It's not an official bear until 20%+ drop down for 4 months. I have a long memory LOL

(Core is up 94% SPY, 32% SCHB, 26% BAC, even PWZ .... so as long as my core is fine I'm fine)

As to this thread, still up

Last edited:
It's not an official bear until 20%+ drop down for 4 months. I have a long memory LOL

(Core is up 94% SPY, 32% SCHB, 26% BAC, even PWZ .... so as long as my core is fine I'm fine)

As to this thread, still up

I don’t think there is a four month requirement for a bear.

I think if the market drops really far fast like 30% in 4 months it’s called a crash.

1.62% ytd :(

I don't care what it's called, loved the swings when I was working and putting money into the market. Not enjoying them when I'm just maintaining. And I know I'll definitely hate them when I'm trying to withdraw anyting

I had a bit of a dip with the overall market but some timely investments during that time paid off in spades (why is it paid in spades?)

Currently up about 134% for the year, which I have to say is surprising.

Attachments

• october.jpg
    october.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 67
Back
Top Bottom