2019 YTD Investment Performance Thread

Earlier, I said that I was not back to where I was on Jan 26, 2018, the day before the collapse of two volatility ETFs drove the entire stock market into a correction.

I looked again at my portfolio, and found a big part of me not being able to regain to that high water mark was due to my high holding of international stocks. That has been a real stinker, and cancels out a lot of my good stocks in the US market.

I hold a mixture of developed and developing market stocks, but if you are curious, just look at VFWIX, Vanguard Total World Market ex US for a proxy. From the top on Jan 26, 2018, that has dropped as much as 21%. Even now, it is still down 9% from that top. For comparison, the S&P is up 6.4% from that top.

And when 1/4 of all your stocks is international, man, I am surprised I did not do worse. Should have listened to the late Bogle who said I did not need no stinkin' foreign stocks.

Now, how do I exit these positions? Should I hold on, waiting for better days?

Last edited:
Stock and bond investments up 8.9% (40/37 of total assets) YTD through 6/30/19, my first full fiscal retirement year.

They are at our all-time high for investments.

Couple that with YTD only drawing down less than 20% of the cash I anticipated (and 23% of what I anticipated for this first year of retirement, bad forecasting on my part), and our investments+cash is over $100K higher than when I retired.

This retirement stuff is too easy... (HA!)

Earlier, I said that I was not back to where I was on Jan 26, 2018, the day before the collapse of two volatility ETFs drove the entire stock market into a correction.

I looked again at my portfolio, and found a big part of me not being able to regain to that high water mark was due to my high holding of international stocks. That has been a real stinker, and cancels out a lot of my good stocks in the US market.

I hold a mixture of developed and developing market stocks, but if you are curious, just look at VFWIX, Vanguard Total World Market ex US for a proxy. From the top on Jan 26, 2018, that has dropped as much as 21%. Even now, it is still down 9% from that top. For comparison, the S&P is up 6.4% from that top.

And when 1/4 of all your stocks is international, man, I am surprised I did not do worse. Should have listened to the late Bogle who said I did not need no stinkin' foreign stocks.

Now, how do I exit these positions? Should I hold on, waiting for better days?
First, I only know enough to get myself in trouble. Given that, I've just gone with EM and DM index investments. At times foreign has been ok, but then you have the recent trend--world in upheaval.

In the individual basket I have been wary of int'l company stocks. Just a few remain (MDT, EQNR, ENZL etf). I can't foresee going more than 5% int'l allocation in our brokerage. Large US holdings have enough exposure internationally, IMO.

I feel your angst.

A single "sitting" for me is in one day, and I have not lost $100K in a day yet. I have come within a few $K a few times.

I hope my stash will continue to grow, and if it does, that eventful day will come.

Even when looking at it in percentages, it does not help when I think of it as yearly expenses.

A $100K is still a lot of money to me. Look at all the things I could buy with that money (but don't :) ).
I don't check or follow everyday gains or losses just the first last day of each month. I did look and from Feb. 1st to Feb. 8th I lost about 195K. For some reason I documented Feb. 8th, 2018 and it may have been the lowest, like you said, so I seen where I was at. I sometimes document a couple times a month if something is historical.

28Jun2019- XIRR= 16.0% Switched asset allocation, so those numbers are no longer correlated to performance.

+11.8% YTD, all-in, spend adjusted. Higher than 4/30, which was +11.1%.

+4% since last report on 5/31. The market in the last 30 days might be a good gauge to compare betas.

Last edited:
YTD ~11.4%

53/35/12 (Equity/Fixed Income/Cash).
The allocation to fixed income is of short-term bonds. Starting to raise doubts about the decision to become conservative since 2009. The markets continue to march ahead. A major correction is on the horizon but no one knows when. I cannot image that the bull market will last forever.

Just remember the horizon is something you can see up ahead, but you can never get there.

YTD ~11.4%

53/35/12 (Equity/Fixed Income/Cash).
The allocation to fixed income is of short-term bonds. Starting to raise doubts about the decision to become conservative since 2009. The markets continue to march ahead. A major correction is on the horizon but no one knows when. I cannot image that the bull market will last forever.

Sounds like mixed feelings.:confused:

Sounds like mixed feelings.:confused:

Yes, the feeling is definitely mixed. I have "some" regret but it's definitely unwise to to increase stock allocation as the market may crash when either the central banks raise interest rates or the trade war between China & US takes hold. In the interim, hold on to my hat.

As of 6-28-19, up 21.2% YTD

Wow, your guys are hitting it out of the park Robbie. Have fun blowin that dough.

1/31 +10% YTD Over half recovered from my terrible Nov/Dec '18
2/28 +14.57% and almost back to my 52 week high.just another ~4.5% to break the 52 week high
3/31 +16.75% and I was beating all three major indexes...
4/30 +21% 52week high, net worth at record highs, liabilities at all time lows...blessed.
5/31 +13.27% nice little 7% tariff haircut. Oh, I know it was priced in eh?
6/28 +21.46% regaining my 52 week high from back in April I'll take an 8% month .
7/31 +25% as you can see, growth has slowed first 3 months provided 65% of my YTD

YTD 17.6% per moneychimp method.

Equity AA is now down to 62%, with 30% cash, and 5% in bond. The rest is unclassified by Quicken.

Up 9.1%. What a June! This can't continue, can it?

Up 9.54% through July despite today's (7/31) market drop.

S&P 500 is up about ~19% YTD and I don't think it will end that high come 12/31/2019. Call it a hunch. :blush:

Up 13.13% from Jan. 1st 2019. moneychimp method

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom