2019 YTD Investment Performance Thread

NW-Bound >>>> I was waiting for you to show. Lol So, no numbers for me to drool over this time around. Shucks!

... no numbers for me to drool over...

Why? You already have so much money you only spend 0.5% each year. I need to gain a lot more to get there.

^ Lol >>> Always fun, interesting and informative when you post. Maybe next month you can do some bragging. Lol

Using XIRR, we're up 14.3% YTD as of close on Friday. This excludes cash and rental properties. By comparison, a simple 50/20/30 mix of VTI/VXUS/BND is up 13.9% YTD. Our portfolio is basically 70/30, with a value tilt, fairly large REIT position, less international than most, and corporate-heavy bond funds. Compared to the simple benchmark, all of that helped except the value tilt.

Nice year so far.

Using moneychimp (hopefully correctly), the Dividend Portfolio section of my entire portfolio, consisting of stocks and one ETF is up YTD 12.61%, which compares favorably to some other people's results (you know who you are). The portfolio is 24% cash and CD's).

Using moneychimp (hopefully correctly), the Dividend Portfolio section of my entire portfolio, consisting of stocks and one ETF is up YTD 12.61%, which compares favorably to some other people's results (you know who you are). The portfolio is 24% cash and CD's).

From what you wrote it sounds like you are comparing the 12.61% YTD return of your stocks/ETF to the ~12% YTD return of a 60/40 portfolio... sort of like comparing apples and oranges.

What is the YTD return once you blend in the cash and CDs? 10% ish? How does it compare to 75/25 balanced portolios?

From what you wrote it sounds like you are comparing the 12.61% YTD return of your stocks/ETF to the ~12% YTD return of a 60/40 portfolio... sort of like comparing apples and oranges.

What is the YTD return once you blend in the cash and CDs? 10% ish? How does it compare to 75/25 balanced portolios?

I don't keep YTD on my other portfolios. I own pretty much whatever everyone else owns. So, I guess I'm sort of in the same ballpark as most of us. Unfortunately, it's too difficult for me to follow my other portfolios(too many moving parts) until the brokerage tells me how I did at the end of the year. But, besides money, I have ego invested in the dividend portfolio, so I like to know how much I am enhancing or de-enhancing that portfolio. So far so good, this year. My benchmark is Wellington Admiral (unless I can find something else that I can routinely beat). I chose Wellington because that's where the money for the Dividend Portfolio would be have been invested had I not created my Dividend Portfolio. I'm sort of looking forward to a bear market to see how well my uncanny ability to chose stocks actually works.

Originally Posted by Andre1969
... as of last night, I have a 14.93% return YTD. And, if I can get about another 0.5%, I'll be back to where I was at the end of September 2018, and, in my mind at least, "made whole" again.

And if this doesn't hold, maybe instead of nailing it, I'll have to screw it! Forgot to say, it does not matter whether you use nail or screw if it only penetrates the drywall without hitting any stud. :p

I totally forgot about that comment...I looked back and found I made it on April 9. Anyway, if I only needed another half percent gain, to get back to where I felt mentally "made whole", from that 2018 downturn, looks like I'm there, since I'm now at around 15.8%.

Is it time to utter the W-word? :D

I totally forgot about that comment...I looked back and found I made it on April 9. Anyway, if I only needed another half percent gain, to get back to where I felt mentally "made whole", from that 2018 downturn, looks like I'm there, since I'm now at around 15.8%.

Is it time to utter the W-word? :D

W2R did it already. See post #322. Alas, where do we go from here?

YTD 11.34%. Including CD's drops the return to 10.67%. I don't keep detailed records of past high balances, except month end for the current year, and 6 & 12 for all preceding years, but I believe we are now at an all time high. Nipping at the heels of a major new milestone in total stash hopefully by the end of this year.

52/36/12

W2R did it already. See post #322. Alas, where do we go from here?

Down. Badly. And fast.

Aw, what the heck. The market god is already thoroughly offended. What more can my bragging add?

Drum roll please...

16.5% YTD as of 6/30/2019. And the return is computed over everything I have, including all cash (but never home values).

Not quite back to the level of 17.9% on 4/30, but I take what I can. May was a brutal month for me. A lot worse than most people for reason already mentioned.

Stock AA is now 66%, reduced from 70% when several call options got exercised last Friday 6/21.

Last edited:
Oopsie, gotta do a slight correction...

Here's my results, so far this year...
1/31/19: +7.94%
2/28/19: +11.4%
3/31/19: +12.8%
4/30/19: +15.6%
5/31/19: +10.4%
6/28/19: +15.9% (had been 15.8%)

And, as before, that's rate of return, rather than just how much my net worth has accumulated, since that would be thrown off by additional investments.

The reason for this correction, is that I had gotten locked out of access from my old retirement account at Boeing. However, I had been keeping what I thought was a good estimate, based on Boeing's stock price, and the SP500. There's also a bond fund fund in there but it mostly just sits there. Anyway, I was finally able to get in today, and it turns out I was off by about $2500. So, I wasn't estimating as well as I thought. But, errors that come out in my favor are always welcome! :p

NW-Bound >>> Lol! You are good at what you do and your work/percentages show it. Outstanding and I would hope NO one here consider any of us to be bragging on what we have or don't have. We all should be happy for each others success. I dont care if some one here has 50M or 1M I consider all people here equal in what has been accomplished, and that is FIRE.

I am nowhere as good as I wish to be. Lost 11% last year. :) And all the gain I have now may evaporate overnight.

I am constantly trying to buy low/sell high, and it is really tough. At this point, I am still not back to where I was on Jan 2018, when nearly all of my stocks surged way ahead of the S&P. It was like when the sun and moon are lined up to cause the highest tide. And I did not realize that rare chance to book the gain instead of letting it sift through my fingers.

It's hard.

How many people here remember the scary crash of the market at the end of January 2018 due to the implosion of a couple of volatility ETFs?

From 1/26/2018, when the market hit a top, to 2/05/2018 only 6 trading days later, the Dow lost 8.5%. I lost 9.2%, even though I was only at 70% stock.

What goes up higher will go down more in a rough patch. And it can happen very fast.

... At this point, I am still not back to where I was on Jan 2018, when nearly all of my stocks surged way ahead of the S&P...

Uh, forgot to account for the money I spent since then. If I add that back for correct accounting, it helps a lot.

Last edited:
I remember that late January/early Feb period, although I remember a lot of my friends on Facebook making it out to be much worse than it was, with all their gloom and doom. I only save the last day of the month in my spreadsheet, so that will often soften the peaks and valleys. For instance, it shows me being up by around 4% at the end of January...but the market did fall fast. By the end of February, I was still up around 1.8%. By the end of March though, that had eroded a bit, and I was only up around 0.5% for the year. By the end of May I was probably around 3.7%, and maybe to around 3.9% by the end of June.

So what started off as a pretty promising year for the first part of January, got a little anticlimactic. Now by August/September, my return was around 7%, but that unraveled pretty darn fast.

I have a diary logging my total investable asset value going back to 1999.

How many people here remember the scary crash of the market at the end of January 2018 due to the implosion of a couple of volatility ETFs?

From 1/26/2018, when the market hit a top, to 2/05/2018 only 6 trading days later, the Dow lost 8.5%. I lost 9.2%, even though I was only at 70% stock.

What goes up higher will go down more in a rough patch. And it can happen very fast.

I did not look it up correctly. The bottom was not on Feb 05, 2018, but on Feb 08.

The Dow Jones lost 10.4% from 1/26. The S&P lost 10.2%, and the Nasdaq 9.7%. A very swift correction in only 9 trading sessions.

I lost 10.8% from the top, and not 100% in stocks. A few hundred $K just went "poof". :)

Last edited:
A few hundred $K just went "poof". :)

That's got to be a scary sight, for a few hundred $K to just "disappear" that quickly! That's when it really pays you to look at the percentages, rather than the dollar amount.

The only times I can lay claim to "losing" over $100K in a single sitting would be twice. First was the Great Recession. From the peak in October 2007 to where I hit bottom in November 2008, I had probably lost about $225-250K. But, the biggest drop was from 8/11/08-11/20/08, a span where I lost about $170K. That was probably about a 46% drop, in just those few months.

The second time was just at the end of 2018. From the last day of September, to Christmas Eve, I was down about $320,000. It was mostly October and December that did it to me; I actually clawed my way back up a bit in November. Overall that was about a 16-17% drop...not as bad as the Great Recession, but seeing a larger dollar amount vanish like that didn't set too well with me!

A single "sitting" for me is in one day, and I have not lost $100K in a day yet. I have come within a few $K a few times.

I hope my stash will continue to grow, and if it does, that eventful day will come.

Even when looking at it in percentages, it does not help when I think of it as yearly expenses.

A $100K is still a lot of money to me. Look at all the things I could buy with that money (but don't :) ).

45/29/16 (Stock/Bond/TREA)

Age 70, retired for ten years.

7.4% YTD after RMD

Never lost 100k in a day. 81k loss in one month is the worst for me. Lesser portfolio than many on the site assists this stat.

9.3% YTD
8.5% over the last 12 months

58 yrs old, just retired. (Technically on vacation for July and still drawing paycheck and maxing last 401k contribution). Don't have to touch the stash until next year, and savings will keep DW and myself out of the 22% tax bracket for several years.

Here is a big no - no, all my equity is in NextEra. Gambling on the tax savings with capital gains. Compensating by overweighting in fixed income.

Nearly everything else is in short term Treasuries since April, which has been doing well lately with talk of a rate cut by the Feds. Partly as a result, not planning on touching the cash balance pension which is growing at 4% per annum as long as I don't take the SPIA (joint survivor).

I think I might have lost $15-20K in a day. There's been a few times where I've gained that, as well, although the losers are more common. Seems like you can see a pretty big wipeout in a day, that might take you weeks or even months to recover from.

I'm at the point where losing, or gaining, $100K in a month, is still a big deal. So far I've only had two months where I've lost more than that. Lost $121,269 in October 2018, and lost $125,133 in December (it would've been worse, but from Christmas Eve to New Year's Eve, I bounced back about $78K).

January of 2019 is the first month I've ever had where I've seen a gain of over $100K. I was up $121,930.

And, just to clarify, these numbers are actual gains/losses, rather than simply the dollar value at the end of the month, which would be swayed by additional investments or withdrawals.

Back
Top Bottom