2019 YTD Investment Performance Thread

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
Once again...thanks.
But in determining portfolio performance is simple or compound growth/interest the way to look at it?

Compound.
CAGR = Compound Annual Growth Rate

Here are a couple screenshots (with fudged data) that show how to set this up in Excel. Note that the beginning balance is positive, the ending balance is negative. Money going into investments is a positive, money withdrawn is a negative.

Attachments

• XIRR.jpg
    XIRR.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 51
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
Once again...thanks.
But in determining portfolio performance is simple or compound growth/interest the way to look at it?

It depends on who you are trying to fool. Advisors sometimes use the method that gives a higher number.

It depends on who you are trying to fool. Advisors sometimes use the method that gives a higher number.

I'm just trying to figure out how I'm doing with the truest analysis possible.

I'm just trying to figure out how I'm doing with the truest analysis possible.
After looking at my performance numbers, I do know that my 50-45-05 portfolio is showing the YTD performance of a 50-50 balanced fund, with the expense ratio added back in.

For example, RLBGX (an American Funds Balanced 50/50 fund) is 6.38% YTD (per Morningstar). Add back in the fee (.28) to get approximately 6.7% (rounded up).

Our portfolio is performing at about 6.81% YTD (per tracking spreadsheet). The difference is so small, that I can look at that one fund RLBGX and know how I'm doing.

Maybe there is one fund that adequately emulates your portfolio performance?

Then you want IRR... compounded. Simple is misleading which is why it is rarely used.

Thank you again. 15+ years lurking/reading/contributing here and I still learn something every day.

I just look at how much up or down something is over a give period of time. Not the growth rate.

Here's my results, so far...
1/31/19: +7.94%
2/28/19: +11.4%
3/31/19: +12.8%
4/30/19: +15.6%
5/31/19: +10.4%

And, as before, that's rate of return, rather than just how much my net worth has accumulated, since that would be thrown off by additional investments.

It's funny too, how looking at the big picture can put things in perspective. Initially I wasn't overly thrilled with May, and seeing how I lost about 5.2% was a bit of a buzzkill. But, most people would be pretty happy being up 10.4%, only 5 months into the year!

As of yesterday, I'm within 1.44% of my all-time high portfolio balance (which was at the end of January 2018).... and that is after withdrawals since January 2018.

As of yesterday, I'm within 1.44% of my all-time high portfolio balance (which was at the end of January 2018).... and that is after withdrawals since January 2018.

Interesting. I am within 1.24% of my all time high reached in Aug 2018 including withdrawals.
It appears many all time highs were achieved either in Jan 18 or Aug 18.

We are still down 3% from an all time high. Part of it was a new vehicle purchase last year.

ETA: High was 1/18. 18 months of withdrawals and a new vehicle since then. I'll take it.

Last edited:
We just blew through our all time high by a lot. I wish I could say it is because I am a genius. We have a truckload of RSU's that vest in 7 days that I am now including in our portfolio (will sell them the day they vest). So most of the gains are from contributions. Not complaining, though. :D

I've been having computer issues, so I can't get to my spreadsheet to verify, but I think I'm back to roughly my all-time peak from September 2018. I think I had topped out around $1.765M, but I had just pulled out $175K for a down payment on the new house. Throw them back together and that would be about $1.940M.

I just added up my investments this morning, and I'm around $1.787M. Throw the down payment back into that, and that gets me to $1.962M. Since September, I've added about $16-17K in additional investments, but also pulled out $14,000. So, overall I think I'm at around $1.959M, including that down payment.

I am over my all time high as well, and patting myself on the back for not starting another Wheee!!! thread about it.

Despite living expenses (including utterly whopping estimated tax payments last Monday, and big annual homeowners', flood, hurricane, and car insurance payments recently too) my total of portfolio plus bank accounts was once again the highest ever in my entire life.

How insane! Buy a dream home in cash, spend an additional mini-fortune in cash redoing the landscaping, and end up with more than you began with. It's like winning a dream house in a game show or something. I am not religious but it reminds me of that old saying, "Man plans, God laughs". I thought of that saying a lot after Katrina, too, but this time everything is coming up roses.

All this $$$ and the market is up quite a bit already today. :popcorn:

Well, but.... but.... !! :2funny:

Everything sure seems to be coming up roses!

Has anyone studied the delay time between mentioning that word and markets going south?:cool:

Has anyone studied the delay time between mentioning that word and markets going south?:cool:

Oh.... and by the way, did I mention....

6978-albums171-picture1906.jpg

And you know, even though my crystal ball is broken, still, given the point in the political cycle where we are presently, possibly the markets are about to soar! Look out, here comes Dow 28,000!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 212
This discussion inspired me to check... our all-time high was Jan 2018. As of close-of-business today, we're down 0.9% from that figure. Just recently, we had a large withdrawal to purchase a new car, plus normal withdrawals over the last 18 months. Last year was bigger than usual on travel and home improvements. So I'm quite happy with the results. Still up almost 30% from the day I retired 6 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom