2021 Investment Performance Thread

8.25%

Everything was down. Not one shining star in the bunch. Gold, REIT, utilities down, right along side regular domestic and international equities. Don't fall for that "one zigs, the other zags" thing. Bonds and college portfolio lost only 1%. I guess those could be the stars.

Not true. It's just that only 1 zigs, while 99 other zag.

As I wrote earlier, some sectors did go up, and went up so well.

For example, oil and gas companies went up 10-20% last month. The world still needs oil, and particularly nat gas as the winter is approaching. It's going to be a long, long cold winter.

PS. Fertilizer companies also went up 10-20%. The world still needs to eat. Maybe food is more important than fancy electronic toys.

Of course, I don't have enough of these stocks that went up. :)

What works well this past month: energy, fertilizer, agricultural.

What tanks: semiconductor, industrial metal, mining, utilities, biotech, pharma, healthcare. Nearly everything is down, except for a few stocks.

Last edited:
^Yes, if you narrow the segments sufficiently small, there are winners. Canada didn't do as bad, probably due to the brighter spot in energy.

I tally every quarter, So from 6-30-21 to 9-30-21 I'm only down 0.2%. But I'm probably down 5.5% from the high in between those dates. My AA is about 75% stocks.

Retirement portfolio YTD through Q3 2021 9.60% vs benchmark VTHRX (Vanguard Target 2030) 7.03%.

Stock/bond allocation follows VTHRX (66/34).

Hmmmm..,,I guess we are doing OK. 10% I only consider our retirement accounts when looking at YTD performance, and I have a significant portion of equities which are actually preferred shares. Still, that considered we are about 78% equities currently (was lower), 8% bonds, 8% alternatives and sitting 6% cash.

We are fairly high weighted in blue chip growth and tech, which took a nice big hit in Sept.....

Back to May levels. +8.2% YTD, all-in.

Everything was down. Not one shining star in the bunch. Gold, REIT, utilities down, right along side regular domestic and international equities. Don't fall for that "one zigs, the other zags" thing. Bonds and college portfolio lost only 1%. I guess those could be the stars.

It's certainly possible for virtually everything to go down at once, but typically, on a yearly basis, a few sectors are up that have been down while some which had been down are up. In a given week, you can't count on the zigs covering the zags - maybe not even within a year. BUT, diversification is still a watchword for most of us, I would think - but YMMV.

+24.5% YTD. Return is being mainly driven by the 2021 rebound in the energy market. Asset allocation = 76 % equities, 24% fixed after selling off a portion of our energy related stock holdings last quarter.

Note ... while the 2021 YTD return looks very good, the 2020 return was very poor (down 2% for the year). This is just a real life example of the risk in being overloaded in one area. In our case, we would have done better over the years if our energy sector investments were instead in the S&P 500. That's the general direction we are headed now....selling off all individual company stocks and moving those funds into broad index holdings.

+8.42%. Roughly 55/45.

Another month, another update

Jan 31: +0.35%
Feb 27: +7.37%
Mar 31: +10.24%
Apr 30: 12.4%, stock AA 76%
May 28: 15.74%, stock AA 79%
Jun 30: 17.89%, stock AA 78%
Jul 31: 17.62%, stock AA 79%
Aug 31: 19.47%, stock AA 77.8%
Sep 30: YTD 15.69%, stock AA 71.4%

Oct 29: YTD 21.7%, stock AA 65.8%

I have sold off quite a bit of stocks as planned via setting covered calls lower to increase the chance of assignment, hence the lower stock AA now. Else, would have a bit more gain.

Last edited:
NW-Bound is going to take you longer to count your money each day, if you continue to over achieve.

Nice gains Sir!

14.44% YTD.
Nice to see a seven figure increase in one year.

NW-Bound is going to take you longer to count your money each day, if you continue to over achieve.

Nice gains Sir!

Thank you.

Quicken is doing the counting for me, so it is not a problem at all.

PS. It does take me longer and longer to update the total at the end of the day. The problem is that Quicken does not download to update the price of option contracts, and I have to do that at the end of each day.

Right now, I just counted 60 option symbols on my Quicken screen. That's 60 different option securities, not contracts as I may have as many as 10 contracts out on an option.

PPS. Out of these 60 options, about 30 expire today and cease to exist. They will drop off the screen next week. And I can then sell new options to fill up the screen again.

Last edited:
OMG! I would be dead broke if I made a living like you do. Lol

Very nicely done, you do well.

I do not want to be so active selling option contracts, but the other players in the market make me. They push a stock up/down 5% a day, or even 10+%. It's crazy.

So, if a stock goes up or down that much a day, I cannot stand it, and have to bet that the craziness cannot continue, by selling options betting against it. They made me do it.

Up 10.4% YTD, 50/50 AA. New all time high reached today.

Jan 21 + ?? I didn't check whoops
Feb 21 +1.58% after a pull-back
Mar 21 +8.26% Not a bad month but still trailing all 3 major indexes
Apr 21 Not sure what I was at in between jobs didn't have time to mark it down
May 21 +9.3% and hoping to get my 401k contributions going again with a new job and >120 months to ER ignition.
Jun 21 +15% 100% equities. Got an early 40th bday present beating all 3 indices, crossed another milestone. Big party, big presents, big fun! 119months to ER liftoff.
Jul 21 +16.8% Easy update. Still 100% equity portfolio. >118mo to ER.
Aug 21 +21%. Beating all 3 major, DJI,SP500,Nasdaq
Sep 21 +14.5%. the markets giveth, and the markets taketh. Used some dry powder this week
Oct 21 +23% 100% equities. back to all time highs. I might start to build a position in TSLA. Still contemplating. Never too late to the party if the party keeps going!

Looks like it's that time of the month again:

Jan 2021: -0.69% YTD
Feb 2021: +2.06% YTD
Mar 2021: +3.71% YTD
Apr 2021: +8.61% YTD
May 2021: +7.78% YTD
Jun 2021: +9.86% YTD
Jul 2021: +11.90% YTD
Aug 2021: +14.13% YTD
Sep 2021: +9.90% YTD
Oct 2021: +15.17% YTD

I had seen one of those occasional 5+% corrections in September. I peaked at 9/3, up 15.29% YTD, but hit bottom on 9/30, at 9.90% YTD.

October was pretty much nothing but up, though. If the rest of the year is flat, honestly I'll be happy. But, more is always nice :)

Back
Top Bottom