2021 Investment Performance Thread

Way to early in the year to worry about for me - if I ever actually calculate it.

With the whip-saw nature of the market, I guess we need a chorus of "What a Difference a Day Makes." My favorite version is by Dinah Washington. YMMV

No, it's not about worry. For me, it's about being cognizant of the current status.

Some people choose not to look. Perhaps they are afraid. No, not me.

I have survived the tech bubble in 2000, and the subprime meltdown in 2007-2009. And even then, it was just about money. I have been in much scarier situations earlier in life when people were dying.

.09% for the funds I manage. I have a small Roth that I take more risk in, it's up 4.95% YTD.

I added up my net worth and was surprised that it went up so much in 2020!!! Thought we (USA) were supposed to be struggling but when I plug in the monthly value of my pension on an annuity app I find I come up with:
House. 910k
Schwab 840k
USAA. 40k (checking & savings)
Pension 750k
Total .....2.54m how did that happen?

Last edited:
^ good for you. Lol It really has been an outstanding year to be in the markets.

I panicked in March and moved from 90/10 to 60/40 but moved back to 83/17 after 30 days. So lost a little (6%?) in Schwab but not kicking myself over that. Not reinvesting dividends until I get to 80/20

What is measured is managed.
Once a month I fetch the numbers.

I fetch once a month also. Takes me about 20 minutes to fetch and enter into my spreadsheet. Not a big deal.

But I was just thinking about this. I imagine that there are members of this esteemed group who have their numbers at their fingertips - done automatically via some sort of daily download.

If so, does anyone care to share how they do this? I'd like to see my numbers daily without having to fetch them.

I use a free app called "My Stocks Portfolio & Widget by Peeksoft:Stock Market & Investing" which auto updates multiple times a day. I don't link it to anything, just manually entered my portfolio once, then update dividends / buy & sell orders. Also tracks cash

I use a free app called "My Stocks Portfolio & Widget by Peeksoft:Stock Market & Investing" which auto updates multiple times a day. I don't link it to anything, just manually entered my portfolio once, then update dividends / buy & sell orders. Also tracks cash

Thanks - I'll check it out. I understand how an app can get ticker symbols and compute portfolio value based on a static number of shares. But I don't know how anything would work with mutual funds where share numbers are constantly changing.

I like this app because it tracks stocks, equity, funds, ETFs, currencies in the stock market, and unlisted equity

Last edited:
That goes to the privacy policy of Peeksoft, which details how they can use your data. Sounds terrible to me, and I would never use their software.

This seems to be one of the advantages of Apple's new policy of requiring apps to disclose their privacy policies.

If so, does anyone care to share how they do this? I'd like to see my numbers daily without having to fetch them.
I have automated my pull, and it's a "trust no one" solution, because I'm not sharing passwords.

The problem with my solution is that it requires programming. Scripting, actually, so it does what you would do (type the URL of financial institution, log-on, save the page, log off, repeat). The script doesn't have the passwords. I manually unlock the password manager browser plug-in before starting the script.

Once all the pages are local, I parse out the data and it creates a spreadsheet. Each position has detailed asset allocation defined (manually added one time) so it shows AA across all positions, all institutions.

I realize this ain't for everybody, probably deemed to be crazy by some here, as I have way more asset allocation categories than "needed". No way I'd have that much granularity if I had to do it by hand.

Braumeister, All the way through it says you may link to another account (FB, twitter, Google, microsoft) but I opt out. Which is why I have to manually add dividends / buys / sells and stick to the free option

4.1% as of today. If someone offered me 4% guaranteed on January 1 I would have been tempted to take it. A few more points in the next month and I will seriously consider taking most of the money off the table.

3.8% YTD, have been working on shifting some out of cash & bonds towards target approximately 65% equities, 35% cash.

Being apparently so woefully behind the majority here, I have to ask a loaded question... Been in a 40/60 moderate-conservative AA with a YTD of abt 1.3% and 2020 performance of only +7% give or take. Does this sound radically out of line with others with a similar AA? 62 y/o, and AUM of abt. 2.2m at this point, no debt, own home, low COLA. Have a longtime hourly FA who i meet with off and on a few times a year. He is decidedly a "value approach" guy - and much of his advice seems oriented to keeping the PF in line with my risk tolerance.

I'd be glad to get some second opinions here on actual positions if there's a relatively simple way of posting that data - and in whatever appropriate category that might to be placed. Dividend income averages 50-55k, and often he suggests that simply looking at those total return figures in comparison to 'benchmarks' isn't necessarily fully reflective of my actual ROI and appreciation of value.

Sometimes I just feel like chucking it all into something like VWELX or that even an annuity would outperform how 'we've' done in recent years...but he has kept me sane.. There's a certain degree of capital preservation/preservation sentiment that's crept into the whole equation being on the verge of semi-retirement with no pension (sole proprietor/self employed) and Spending going forward probably in the 40-50k/year ballpark incl. prop. taxes...and I'm due for maybe 18k/year in S.S. if I choose to take it at, say, 66. All this said I do show 100% success under all moderate AA Firecalc simulations I've run for a 30 year horizon. Long-winded contribution but seeing threads like this always kicks me into reflective mode about how much better things might be and whether it's time for a change in investment 'philosophy.

Last edited:
^ Don't go all FOMO by what's posted here! Compare your investments with benchmarks that closely match your actual portfolio.

Being apparently so woefully behind the majority here, I have to ask a loaded question... Been in a 40/60 moderate-conservative AA with a YTD of abt 1.3% and 2020 performance of only +7% give or take. Does this sound radically out of line with others with a similar AA? 62 y/o, and AUM of abt. 2.2m at this point, no debt, own home, low COLA. Have a longtime hourly FA who i meet with off and on a few times a year. He is decidedly a "value approach" guy - and much of his advice seems oriented to keeping the PF in line with my risk tolerance.

I'd be glad to get some second opinions here on actual positions if there's a relatively simple way of posting that data - and in whatever appropriate category that might to be placed. Dividend income averages 50-55k, and often he suggests that simply looking at those total return figures in comparison to 'benchmarks' isn't necessarily fully reflective of my actual ROI and appreciation of value.

Sometimes I just feel like chucking it all into something like VWELX or that even an annuity would outperform how 'we've' done in recent years...but he has kept me sane.. There's a certain degree of capital preservation/preservation sentiment that's crept into the whole equation being on the verge of semi-retirement with no pension (sole proprietor/self employed) and Spending going forward probably in the 40-50k/year ballpark incl. prop. taxes...and I'm due for maybe 18k/year in S.S. if I choose to take it at, say, 66. All this said I do show 100% success under all moderate AA Firecalc simulations I've run for a 30 year horizon. Long-winded contribution but seeing threads like this always kicks me into reflective mode about how much better things might be and whether it's time for a change in investment 'philosophy.

A 40% VTSAX(Vanguard total US stock) and 60% VBTLX(Vanguard total bond)
did 13.3% last year. If you got 7% out of your 40/60, there are either major expenses or you are concentrated in something that didn't do well last year. How you measured may also be the difference.

VW

Back
Top Bottom